PDA

View Full Version : Ohana or Boma

merrymouse
05-25-2010, 06:46 PM
We have done both before but cannot decide which to do for our upcoming trip. Boma or O'hana. We are traveling with our three kids 14, 12, and 8. My 8 year old Im sure doesn't remember much from our last trip. What would you do?

DizneyRox
05-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Anywhere else?

While I like Boma, some of the seasoning might not be appreciated by the younger crowd. Sure there's chicken fingers and whatnot as a safety net, but the price of the buffet is a little steep for that.

Ohana I wasn't impressed with at all.

Have you tried Whispering Canyon? The good wholesome food, sure to please everyone with a little humor on the side.

The above is if you're talking dinner...

Breakfast, Boma has a great spread, Ohana is just like every other breakfast on property. Soggy bacon, overcooked eggs, etc. I'd go to Boma in a heartbeat over Ohana. A better breakfast would be Donald's Safari Breakfast however.

thejens
05-25-2010, 07:34 PM
I love Boma and would always choose it over Ohana's. Younger Kids might like the activities of Ohana. If you do choose Boma, go a little early and go out to the pool area and observe all the animals. It is very beautiful. We love this resort. The food at Boma's does have some unusual seasonings, but lots of the food is plain (prime rib, chicken fingers etc.) They are both fun experiences, but I like the food better at Boma.

DVC2004
05-25-2010, 08:16 PM
We love 'Ohana. My boys love it. They are nnow 11 and 13.

Fastpasssteve
05-25-2010, 11:57 PM
I do love Boma for both breakfast and dinner, but if I had to do one or the other, I would go to 'Ohana. It's just not a trip to WDW without dinner at 'Ohana...especially the drink served in the hollowed-out pineapple...it's called a Lapu Lapu!

lighteningqueen
05-26-2010, 03:02 AM
Neither they are both not so good especially Boma for kids. Just plain not good food. Ohanas have gone down in quality for sure. how about Whispering Canyon. Kids love it there, much better food. Teppon Edo has some of the best steak shrimp and chicken you will ever eat and I think it was a bit cheaper than the 2 you mention above. i think my steak and chicken was 26.00 and the steak and shrimp might have been a dollar more and its a very entertaining place. Kids love it.

ginger19
05-26-2010, 07:23 AM
I used to love Boma until I waited in line for 15 minutes for the carving station. I haven't been back since! I love 'Ohana. Despite some reviews as it declining we went in October and it was excellent and I sent my cousin there in February and he loved it. Coming from a family who owned a restaruant and catering business, we are very picky.

LandFan
05-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Boma! The animals are fun to watch and the food is very good. There is a ton to choose from so most kids find plenty that they like and a lot of kids try things you never thought they would have tried:thumbsup: The experience is great for all = it's an adventure!

DizneyRox
05-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Boma! The animals are fun to watch and the food is very good. There is a ton to choose from so most kids find plenty that they like and a lot of kids try things you never thought they would have tried:thumbsup: The experience is great for all = it's an adventure!
I don't remember any animals being visible from Boma. There are areas at the resort you can view them, but you don't need to eat there. AKL is a destination even without visiting a restaurant.

GreenB
05-26-2010, 12:00 PM
We tried Boma and Ohana last year and were very disappointed by both. The one we liked the least was Boma.
The reason we didn't enjoy that much is because we were looking for some adventurous food with new flavors to discover. Something challenging. What we found were really heavy crowds and a lot of food. Decent food albeit uninspired.
That is how I would describe both restaurants. Uninspired.

Two restaurants we REALLY enjoyed are Citricos and The California Grill.
We have 3 kids, ages 10, 8 and and infant (she could care less). The older ones were THRILLED by the food.
Also I need to mention that we saw A LOT of families with young kids in both restaurants (more in Citricos).

ThanxForNoticin
05-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Absolutely 2 of the best restaurants at Disney. From our experience, you don't have a bad choice. We often will fit both into a trip. i might give the slightest of edges to Boma for a family of 5, but both have great food, service, and are fun.

With all due respect to a previous poster, I don't think I've ever heard these restaurants referred to as 'uninspired'. But I know for a fact there are Disney restaurants out there that we won't do anymore, but others love. So it's a matter of what you like to do and eat. And since you've been to both before and now are going back again, it sounds like you enjoyed your experience.

ransam
05-27-2010, 02:20 PM
wow, i love Ohana. not only the best meal i ever had at Disney, maybe the best meal i have ever had period....and i'm a big boy, i've had a lot of good meals.

merrymouse
05-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Thank you for all the replies, although it really didn't sway me either way. I guess we will just go with what is more convenient at the time. I agree whole heartedly with the discussion. I've been to both and liked both. I've never been to a disney restaurant that was outstanding. The food can be good but we don't go to disney for the food anyway. We have also never done signature dining so maybe that food would be outstanding but we have never experienced it. We're more about the disney feel, parks, characters, rides etc. If I had to put in my personal opinion of both we liked the food better at Boma but liked the tropical atmosphere at Ohana. Also we find Ohana alot easier to get to as it is right on the monorail. So that may be the deciding factor after all. Schlep all the way to AK for a better meal or just hop on the monorail eat and get back to the real reason we go to disney...the parks. Thanks again for the interesting discussion.

TracyL
05-27-2010, 09:28 PM
I like both 'Ohana and Boma, but would have a tough time recommending one or the other without knowing more about who I was recommending them to. To me they are like an apple and an orange -- way too different from each other to compare. Since it sounds like convenience is a factor, I'd say stick to the monorail and consider some of your other nearby choices. We enjoyed The Wave at the Contemporary, but I know it has had mixed reviews. Citricos at GF is dynamite - I would go there three times a day if I could afford it. :)

And hey - if your purpose in being at WDW is the parks, why not eat in the park? The Crystal Palace has great food and that buffet is the same price as the one at Boma....

KylesMom
05-27-2010, 11:06 PM
I guess we will just go with what is more convenient at the time. While I can appreciate the "on the fly" decision, I don't know if you'll just be able to walk in to either without an ADR - especially Ohana. Since you've been to both, why don't you let the family have a vote on it and then make an ADR? That's what we do at my house when we're undecided! :mickey:

DizneyRox
05-28-2010, 06:37 AM
While I can appreciate the "on the fly" decision, I don't know if you'll just be able to walk in to either without an ADR - especially Ohana. Since you've been to both, why don't you let the family have a vote on it and then make an ADR? That's what we do at my house when we're undecided! :mickey:
Agreed, Boma turns away folks, at least at dinner pretty routinely. Actually, it's tough to get to the pool area around feeding time with everyone crowded around for Jiko and Boma.

merrymouse
05-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Agreed, Boma turns away folks, at least at dinner pretty routinely. Actually, it's tough to get to the pool area around feeding time with everyone crowded around for Jiko and Boma.
We will definitely make ADR's. Thats what Im working on now. Thanks for all your help but now Boma is winning over O'hana's with my family.

Disneyfirsttimer
06-02-2010, 03:05 PM
We had tried Ohana our first trip and it was OK. The reviews had gone down, but we tried again on our recent trip and loved it :number1:.

It was great for the kids (12, 10, 8, 8, 5). We were traveling with my kids and my sister's. The food was very good. Much better than our last time. And the bread pudding dessert is out of this world.

I have never eaten at Boma so unfortunately have no comparison.

Karyn

crltkcagle
06-02-2010, 08:53 PM
:thumbsup:Ohana's!!!!

LudwigVonDrake
06-03-2010, 05:58 AM
'Ohana is my pick :eat: :tasty: :tikki: