View Full Version : Adventures in Travel Part 9

faline
05-25-2010, 06:33 PM
May 19, 2010

Plan for the Day:Magic Kingdom
Lunch at Grand Floridian Café
Fly home on Southwest

How the Day Really Went:
We’ve had our last sleep for this trip. It’s time to go home. We pack all of our bags. I was able to get by with two checked bags on the way here but it will need to be three for the trip home. Our check-out notice was hanging on the door. We double check the room for any missed or neglected items and find none. The bags are dragged out to the car. We put the bags that will be checked through to the airline in the back seat and the rest in the trunk.
We drive the car around to El Centro and remove the bags to be checked from the car. We are directed to the right location to check the bags. All three bags are checked in and tagged to go to Manchester. New boarding passes are printed for us – so much for spending all that time printing them last night! Oh well! Leaving the bags behind and trusting that we will see them again in Manchester, we head back to our car and drive over to the Magic Kingdom. With our resort parking id, we are waved through the gate and then are directed to park in the furthermost spot in Goofy Row 22. After we park, we walk down the long line of cars and find a spot in a tram about to depart.
We are deposited at the gate to the Ticket and Transportation Center. There is a huge line for the express monorail and the ferry does not look like it will depart too soon so we opt to take the resort monorail around to the Magic Kingdom. It takes a little longer as we have an additional bag with us today – items I did not feel comfortable leaving in the trunk of the car. I can’t get my ticket to insert into the machine. A cast member tells me I’ve already gained entrance as the light is green. I’m not sure how that could be as the ticket never went through the turnstyle but I did hear it click when she ran across the machine on the inside which is a good thing as, otherwise, it is likely that the fast pass machines would not work for me.

Once inside, I decide to take the train ride that I did not get earlier during our trip. We climb the stairs to the Main Street station. A train pulls in almost immediately and we board. We then sit and sit some more while more and more people are entering the train station and they continue to board the train. Finally, the train is pretty full but they are still trying to cram folks onto the train. The cast members are announcing that each seat can hold five fully grown adults. There are four adults in the seat where we are. I can’t imagine where we would put a fifth. Finally, we’re going to move. Just as we are getting ready to move, a man a few seats ahead of us decides to change rows and they have to halt the process until he is resituated. Finally, we begin to move. By now, though, I am not enjoying what I hoped would be a nice, relaxed ride and we opt to get off at the next station which is by Splash Mountain. I told Gene, if I had known what was going to happen at the Main Street station, I would have walked instead. In fact, I know there are any number of times, when we’ve not been allowed to board a train that was still at the station and were told we would need to wait for the next train instead!

We exit the train and, since Big Thunder Mountain is listed as a 10 minute standby, we opt to take a different kind of train ride. It appears the que has been set up for a really long standby and we walk quite a distance in and around but, in reality, it is a walkon and we walk right up to our gate. From here, we walk over to Peter Pan and pick up fast passes. This already has a 30 minute standby line and it certainly appears this is a realistic number. With fast passes in hand, we walk over to the Haunted Mansion which is listed as 10 minutes but is more like 5. There’s really not even any time to check out the tombstones though I do manage to catch Leota’s eyes open as I walk by. We’re then off to another favorite – Pirates. Along the way, I want to check out the wait time for the Jungle Cruise but it’s temporarily out of commission. At Pirates, we again we walk right up to the end of the que. The party in front of us has a number of people but as a party of two, we’re told to hop on the boat that’s still at the dock. Just as we do, we start to get whacked with the gate. Still, we get on board as the cast member had instructed us to do and we get through the ride. For the last couple of rides, the woman above the well has not been swinging open the shutters. We’re glad to see the shutters open today though they seem to move a bit jerkily!

It’s time for some lunch. As we pass Jungle Cruise, we notice it is again operational. However, the line extends all the way through the Plaza below and out into the concourse! That’s one huge line! Here’s another ride we’ll need to skip this trip.

We get on a monorail and head to the Grand Floridian. When we arrive, we discover two things. A huge gaggle of little girls (all dressed in Princess finery) and their moms are ascending the main staircase. There are also many dolls so I can only guess this is the tea for little girls! The other thing we notice, is that the entire lobby area on the first floor is blocked off. All the furniture has been removed and new carpet is in the process of being put down.

At the Grand Floridian Café, we are quickly seated for lunch. It has become sort of a tradition to lunch here on our last day. Gene has a Reuben Sandwich and I have the Grand Sandwich which is an open face turkey, ham and cheese. This meal will need to hold us for a while!

After lunch, we once again return to the Magic Kingdom. We use our Peter Pan Fast Passes. From there, we head over to the Tomorrowland Transit Authority and this becomes our last ride of the trip. Along the way out, we stop for a few last photo pass pics and stop in a couple of shops. We board the express monorail to the Ticket and Transportation Center. A tram is at the gate. We hop on and two stops later are disembarking in the Goofy area of the parking lot. We had a bottle of water stuck in a messenger bag and I had noted to Gene we needed to get rid of that before we got to the airport.

Once back at the car, I needed to move some packing around, put our destination into the GPS and pack the messenger bag as it would no longer be needed. We got in the car and found a BJs for gas (probably a mistake as it was two miles off the road and through several very long traffic lights – probably lost about 20 minutes getting gas). Once we got back to the main road, we quickly arrived at the airport and found the National Car rental location. With the car returned, we headed into the terminal.

As always, getting through security in Orlando is a bit of a nightmare! It’s a true mob scene! When we finally get to the screening area, they have run out of trays so everything stops until someone brings some more trays. Gene thought I had pushed through some of our items but I had not. I had asked him if he was all set if I went through and he said he was and to just go ahead. He then realized he had been left with everything that needed to go through the screening but he got it all through and I started to collect it on the other side. One of the TSA agents asked if a bag belonged to us and I said it did. He asked if there were any liquid inside and I said there shouldn’t be. Bag opened. There in the pocket of the messenger bag is the offending bottle of water which should have been tossed before we left the park! The TSA agent sounded like he was taking something away as he commented “Too bad” as he took the bottle! As seasoned travelers, though, we should know better!

I think I will get a milk shake like I did at the stand near our terminal on our last trip. No stand! Oh well! I opt for a bottle of chocolate milk instead. Gene has an apple juice. We’re both very thirsty and down the liquids before we get on the plane.

It’s announced that our plane is overbooked. I’m not sure if anyone was left behind but I didn’t hear anyone asking for volunteers to give up seats. They did offer a free drink if anyone would be willing to exchange an aisle seat for a center seat. Not sure if there were any takers for that offer.

We get up in the air and the plane is pointed north. As I type this, it is around 8:45 p.m. and we should be landing in about ½ hour.

Strmchsr
05-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Sounds like a great trip, Linda. Thanks for all the great details!

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks for sharing another good day, even with the train "adventures".

mouseketeer mom
05-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Oh, the last day. You managed to do alot on this very last day though!
MCO always seems to be a madhouse if you ask me. We got stopped going thru security because of a very large gummy bear purchased in the Germany pavillion. (it was a BIG one!) They almost didn't let my daughter keep it because of its gelatin quality I guess. It seemed suspicious!!!!

KylesMom
05-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Ah, I hate departure day! It sounds like you were able to make the most of it, though. You hit the best of the best at MK, had a nice lunch, and encountered no delays on your flight home. I had wondered about printing your boarding passes the evening before at Epcot (we'll be there our last night before departure) and I'm curious - did you get to keep the same boarding spot, or was it a new one with a further back letter & number? We're taking American, but I wondered if that would help us get a better position for the overheads instead of hitting the resort counter the next morning!

With the exception of the room snafu at the beginning of your trip - and of course the broken tooth, it seems as though Gene and yourself had a wonderful trip!:mickey:

DizNee143
05-26-2010, 10:02 AM
sounds like a pretty good last few hours in the world!!
i find it hilarious the way the security people act when they find a water bottle in someones bag..its like just found the worlds biggest bomb..like dude its just water..get over yourself..lol..
that happened to me last time i was flying..the guy took it out of my bag and was like "what is this? why is it in your bag?" im like its called water, in a bottle..and i have it cuz im a thirsty pregnant woman!
i cant help myself..i can be very sarcastic at times..i grabbed it outta his hands chugged it and gave it back to him so he could through it out..
anyways lol..:mickey:

yjgirl32
05-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed reading your reports.

DisneyorBust
05-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Departure day, is a bit painful, but spending part of it in the Magic Kingdom sure helps!
We enjoy the Grand Floridian Cafe, gave it a try a few trips ago and have dined there each trip since.

pdrlkr
06-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

vizsla
06-09-2010, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the report.

princessgirls
06-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Linda,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful trip. I enjoyed reading all of your posts.

You truly made the most of your last day!!
I agree MCO has to be the worst airport to go through security. I think it's because they only have one central location for all of their flights. It's crazy!!! That's coming from me, who travels out of Newark Liberty. There are three separate terminals there, so not a entire airport funneling through one central location.
We will be traveling to Orlando next week for a family reunion (Disney isn't on my inlaws agenda, but I'm hoping to get a day in the Magic Kingdom with my girls...). I dread the return flight!
Linda, may you and Gene be blessed with many more years of Disney vacations, good health and happiness!
Julie:mickey:

faline
06-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Linda, may you and Gene be blessed with many more years of Disney vacations, good health and happiness!
Julie:mickey:

Thank you! That's very sweet of you!

Good luck getting through Orlando airport!