PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl 48 to be in NY?

Donald A
05-25-2010, 06:07 PM
So they are going to play the 2014 Super Bowl in NY in an open air stadium? I don't like it. I know some football "purists" might, but I think it has the potential to just be a miserable game. My boss just pointed out how this past winter we had the single worst day of snowfall in Pittsburgh the day before the Super Bowl. Well NY can get that weather as well and if it does (ie, people lose power, the airports close, and roads are unpassable) it could be a disaster that even the "high and mighty" billion dollar NFL could not remedy.

gerald72
05-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Football is a cold weather sport. That's how it's supposed to be played.
If there was a snow storm and roads and airports were closed, those same people wouldn't be able to travel to Tampa, would they?

Donald A
05-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Football is a cold weather sport. That's how it's supposed to be played.
If there was a snow storm and roads and airports were closed, those same people wouldn't be able to travel to Tampa, would they?

You do make a valid point. However, what if the Dolphins play the Saints in the Super Bowl that year? Plus, a lot of the fun of the Super Bowl for people is traveling. I remember when Indy won the Super Bowl when I lived there many people went to Miami to take it in despite whether they were going to the game or not.

Scar
05-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Plus, a lot of the fun of the Super Bowl for people is traveling. I remember when Indy won the Super Bowl when I lived there many people went to Miami to take it in despite whether they were going to the game or not.Right, no one wants to travel to NYC, there's nothing to do there.

diz_girl
05-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Please, please, please let the Eagles win the Superbowl that year. :fingers:

Of course, a Superbowl win before then would also be welcome.

Scar
05-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Oh, and just to be clear, The Super Bowl "game" is being played in New Jersey. :football:

Most Super Bowl festivities (ie. The NFL Experience, parties, etc.) will be in New York City.

Donald A
05-26-2010, 05:37 PM
So let's have a Super Bowl in Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, New England, Green Bay, the list goes on and on. Why don't we just rotate it through every NFL team's stadium. That way the NFL can control everything and "do a lot of good" when they use local taxpayer money to have the "honor" of hosting their big money maker.

I am not saying that I don't think NYC doesn't have a lot to do (I have never been there and would like to check it out sometime), I am just saying it is not a place I would pick to travel to in the dead of winter with my limited vacation time off.

Scar
05-26-2010, 07:46 PM
I respect that you wouldn't want to go to NYC in the winter, but the fact is that many other people do. Christmas and New Years is packed in The City. In reality, this area has very mild winters compared to other parts of the country like New England, the Midwest and the Rockies.

And if this Super Bowl is succsessful, you can bet there will be another one in a cold weather stadium. But it won't be any of the ones you listed.

Ian
05-26-2010, 08:03 PM
:ack:

Pagan
06-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm from NY and I have to agree with Ian.

Who on God's earth wants to spend $2K for a ticket and sit there freezing?

There's a reason it was played in warm weather stadiums for so long.

Ian
06-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Yeah I mean ... I realize New York is a huge tourism destination and arguably the single most important city on Earth, but come on ... people spend all that cash for Super Bowl tickets as much for the destination as they do for the game.

The last thing they're going to want to do is bundle up in parkas and freeze to death during the game.

gueli
06-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Yeah I mean ... I realize New York is a huge tourism destination and arguably the single most important city on Earth, but come on ... people spend all that cash for Super Bowl tickets as much for the destination as they do for the game.

The last thing they're going to want to do is bundle up in parkas and freeze to death during the game.

I like the single most important city on the earth comment...

The NFL has for the longest time said that where the game is played (indoor/ warm weather) has everything to do with the fans being comfortable.

Ny weather has been so freaky lately there are a few possibilities that I see

1) The day is mild. that being said it is 50 with a slight breeze. As the night goes on it drops to the 30's, but it is not horrible.

2) It is cold. Bitter. 20 or so degrees, with the wind chill dropping it to around 10. The ground is hard, the players & fans are cold - heck the coors light train is apparently parked in the meadowlands parking lot.

3) It is stormy- now this could be rain- freezing or just really cold. The conditions are abysimal, both on the field and off. OR

4) it is snowing- much better than rain. Possibly the best scenerio. A real cold weather game.

so why have it in NY/NJ ?
because they built a new stadium and its there.

by the way, I think that every new stadium should get a superbowl...:thumbsup:
even if they built one in philly or buffalo...:beer:

Scar
06-02-2010, 11:48 AM
It is not possible for every team to host a Super Bowl. Some cities, like Buffalo and Green Bay, could not handle an influx of 150 - 200,000 people. They learned that from the Jacksonville fiasco. Other cities, like KC and Pittsburg, probably couldn't handle it either, but that's debateable. New England couldn't host one either because of the transportation/accesability issue (there may be others but that's the one I know from experience.)

The next cold weather cities in line will be Washington, Chicago, and Philly.

As far as people not wanting to sit in bad weather... why not? They do in every other late season/playoff game. Believe me this game will be one of the toughest sports event tickets ever in this area.

I see the biggest problem being the half-time show, and personally, I couldn't care less about that.

WDWfanatic742
06-02-2010, 06:36 PM
I've lived in South Florida all my life, so everyone should know what I think :sun:

I see the biggest problem being the half-time show, and personally, I couldn't care less about that.

But to be honest, I can't remember the last time the half-time show was any good. So that's not much of a problem anyway...

gueli
06-03-2010, 09:28 AM
But to be honest, I can't remember the last time the half-time show was any good. So that's not much of a problem anyway...

can anyone say "wardrobe malfuntion" and mean it ?
Actually that is the most memorable in recent history...:D

Also Scar- excellent points on location and capability to handle a large influx of people.

So is Dalas going to host a Superbowl ?
I have only seen their stadium on TV, but it looks nice.

Scar
06-03-2010, 10:19 AM
So is Dalas going to host a Superbowl ?Yes, They have the next one, in the dome.