PDA

View Full Version : WL vs Poly

RBrooksC
05-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Ok, We have stayed at the WL the last time we were there and loved it. I loved the secluded feeling of that resort.

We are also considering another option which is trying the Poly.

Neither is a make or break and either resort would be fine.

My wife and I would like to hear from those who have stayed at both to give their opinions as to why they would choose one over the other.

Jeniflower
05-25-2010, 10:56 AM
we've stayed at WL twice and the Poly once. Both are excellent to stay at and each have there own special features but we would probably opt for the Wilderness Lodge over the Poly as favourite. Poly seems to be more family orientated and we felt a little (not much - just a little) excluded - we never got lau's a check in and they paid more attention to family groups. Plus it always gave the impression of being very busy. WL has a grandeur and peacefulness that I love and it feels to me just like coming home. I love the shop just for those every day items and its all in one main building which is great. Both are lovely and Poly does have the monorail and i would stay there again. Cocktails on the beach watching wishes was a highlight. But i'm a wilderness lodge type of girl

Dragongirlx
05-25-2010, 11:33 AM
I am going to agree with my sister (Jeniflower) on this one which is a rare occurance in itself. While I liked staying at the poly I found it very busy and it just didn't have the same peaceful feel as Wilderness Lodge. The distinctive poly smell was also a bit horrible for me, I realise lots of people love it but I don't. I also didn't like Captain Cooks (don't like the layout or the self service bit) and prefered Roaring Forks.
However I did like the beach at the Poly better and being on the monorail but if I had to choose one it would probably be Wilderness Lodge

RBrooksC
05-25-2010, 11:34 AM
I did forget to add what it will be my wife, my five year old son, my two year old daughter and me on this trip.

Ms. Mode
05-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Have you given AK a thought? If you like secluded and have little ones it might be just right for you. The animals provide entertainment 24/7. :thumbsup:

RBrooksC
05-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Have you given AK a thought? If you like secluded and have little ones it might be just right for you. The animals provide entertainment 24/7. :thumbsup:

Yes, we have but with the two little ones, we want to be close to the MK.

CU Tiger
05-25-2010, 12:39 PM
The great debate we have at our house. WL is my favorite and Poly is my DWs favorite. The Poly does have the monorail, but I like the theme and views from WL. If you have not stayed at the Poly, give it a try. You will not be disapointed. This is coming from a WL fan.:mickey:

ginger19
05-25-2010, 12:54 PM
The Poly is your best choice I think. The rooms are bigger, they have the daybed as an additional bed, and the monorail is right there. We have stayed at both and I prefer the Poly as does my DH who is painfully picky about hotels (he adored the Poly).

GreenB
05-25-2010, 06:42 PM
We stayed at the Poly last year. We enjoyed very much our stay, BUT there were some things we didn't like about the hotel.

What we liked:
1- It is in the monorail line. Very convenient.
2- It is within walking distance to the TTC, therefore you can walk to the monorail that goes to EPCOT.
3- It is VERY well themed.
4- You can watch the fireworks and the Electrical Water Pageant parade right from the beach (NOT TO BE MISSED).

We didn't like:
1- It is EXTREMELY busy.
2- The main pool area is very reduced.
3- The size of the lobby (Main Ceremonial House) feels small, especially in the second floor areas, right by the restaurants, which are really CONGESTED in the evenings.
4- We liked the rooms but didn't like the buildings in which the rooms are.

Regards.

minnie-mouse
05-26-2010, 09:21 AM
I would have to say Poly over WL for sure. The theming of the Poly is so magnificent as is the property, amenities, restaurants, pool. You can't go wrong with it. Try it once and you will see what I mean.

goofball
05-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Both are well themed. Both are convenient to MK. It really depends on what you are looking for. I prefer WL, I love the theme and while I like the Poly I don't think it's worth the $$$. Even with the monorail access, I don't like paying a 5 star price at a hotel that while nice, does not offer 5 star amenities. WL is usually much cheaper and arguably nicer.:blush:

diz_girl
05-27-2010, 11:11 AM
I'd also recommend trying the Poly. Since you will need a stroller, being able to roll it on/off the monorail to both MK and EPCOT is a real plus. The kids will probably also get a kick about seeing the castle from their resort.

At the Poly, you also have much larger rooms. You get an extra 60 sq ft in most rooms over the WL, but probably an extra 100 sq ft if you stay in the Tokelau building.

Being on the monorail also gives you better access to the restaurants on the monorail loop. At WL you are limited to just WCC and the Roaring Fork unless you want to get on a boat or bus. The Poly also has an extra TS restaurant (excluding the luau), which helps ease the congestion at breakfast.

Finally, while the WL also gets the EWP at night, it shows at the Poly first, usually at 9 p.m., so maybe at least the 5 year-old can stay up long enough to see it. It doesn't get to WL for another 1/2 hour.

gaffz70
06-03-2010, 09:23 AM
If you haven't been to either, I would go w/ WL first. I think it's a great value for the $
We really liked the theming of it as well as everything being in 1 building. The boat ride was fun and relaxing.
We didn't really care for the walk from the longhouse to cpt cooks just to get coffee in the morning at Poly
We really liked having the monorail and the volcano pool...but other than that we were not as impressed.

buzznwoodysmom
06-03-2010, 11:21 AM
What time of the year are you going to be traveling? WL and the Poly are my family's two favorite resorts. I think if your vacation is around the holidays or in the winter WL would be a great place to stay. Nothing like coming back from a chilly day in the parks to the warmth of the WL lobby. Its a feeling like no other! On the other hand if you are going during the summer, or warmer months, the Poly has more of a "summer vacation/tropical" feel. With your kids ages I'd think the Poly may be the better choice since you have the monorail, but we never had any problems at WL when our kids were younger. Either one you choose will be great as both resorts are wonderful.

TikiLounger
06-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I love both so much, but I'd have to pick The Poly over the WL if pressed. I can't really give any specifics...I guess it's simply that The Poly feels the most "Disney" to us. Both my kids prefer it too and they've stayed at both...twice. Plus, the Poly is a monorail resort and, I my opinion, that makes it extra fun and convenient.