PDA

View Full Version : Space shuttle landing

luvDaMouse
05-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Here in Disney world now does anyone know if you can see the shuttle landing on wednesday? Or if it flys over dw at all?

faline
05-24-2010, 12:35 PM
I would imagine it's much more difficult to see a landing than a launch unless you are up close. I've never heard anyone mentioning they were able to see a landing from Disney World.

Polynesian Dweller
05-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Here in Disney world now does anyone know if you can see the shuttle landing on wednesday? Or if it flys over dw at all?

The ground track of the shuttle is very much dependent on the orbital mechanics at the time of the de-orbit burn. The last shuttle came from north to south. Others have come from the west and others from the south. Usually NASA attempts to have the ground track pass over as little population as possible. So flying over WDW is not standard at all.

It also very high until it's very last minutes in approach. It lands at an angle that is incredibly steeper than a typical airliner. It's also a small craft that would look like a small plane at its altitude.

All that said, you'd have to get the ground track that morning to have any idea and then, if it's landing in Fl and if the ground track is close, you'd really have to be lucky to spot it in the few seconds overhead.

c&d
05-24-2010, 03:53 PM
When we were down in April we saw it land. It was a once in a lifetime experience for us and it was great. You first hear the double sonic boom and then everyone spends time looking around to find it coming in. It lands really really fast. We had a nice view of it from the other side of the bay. People did tell us it's not as spectacular as a launch but it was still worth the 2 trips out to see it. First one was postponed due to weather. Definitely worth renting a car and driving out (it was about an 1 1/2 hour drive).

PM me and I can send you the pictures I took.

LandFan
05-26-2010, 09:56 AM
I just watched it on TV - It came in from the south-west direction at about 8:45am. I'm wondering if you did get to see it...

Ed
05-26-2010, 10:17 AM
The shuttle this morning came in over the Naples area of SW Florida, passed over Lake Okechobee and continued on a northeast track to the Cape.

The shuttle is not normally visible from the ground until it is very near the Cape; as mentioned above, it is a relatively small craft and is flying very high and fast until the last few moments. We live 40 miles from the Cape and haven't been able to see the shuttle even as it passed directly over us.

Now, the double sonic boom is most DEFINITELY audible all over the state!

ILoveLegos
05-26-2010, 09:19 PM
I heard the sonic booms and tried to watch the historic landing on nasa.org - it is delayed behind realtime. The best view is usually from CNN, and it was - LOL!