PDA

View Full Version : Not sure where to stay???

Ally'sMom
05-24-2010, 11:51 AM
I just booked the plane for Nov 13- Nov 22, 2010, now comes the hard part - We have always stayed at Pop Century, we love it because we know where everything is. This year we were going to try and stay at one of the Port Orleans hotels. Not sure which one - What would be best for 2 adults, a 9 yr old and 3 yr old. I know this may sound stupid, but I am a little nervous about staying in a new place! Please help!:confused:

faline
05-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Port Orleans French Quarter is very charming and reminds one of New Orleans. This is a very popular resort and books up quickly so, if you decide to stay here, I'd book sooner rather than later.

Port Orleans Riverside is larger and a bit more spread out but does also offer rooms that include a trundle bed.

The resorts have beautiful grounds and also offer boat service to Downtown Disney.

peemagg
05-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Either would probably be good, but I personally prefer French Quarter. I bet your kids would enjoy the pool and slide there. I mean it's not everyday that you can slide out of a lizards mouth and into the pool. There is also the alligator band that is neat.

For Mom and Dad it is a nice, small, quaint and kind of romantic resort. I think you will really like it.

tinkergal
05-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Although I've never stayed @ POP, I can give a :thumbsup: for POR. It's just DH & me, so we don't mind the wide expanse of the grounds. Last year we traveled w/ families w/ wee ones & they enjoyed FQ very much. The grounds are a little more compact & they thought the pool w/ the sea serpent slide was awesome! But even if you decide toward Riverside, they have a great main pool & you can still go & enjoy FQ's as well. The adults would probably enjoy the atmosphere of the Port Orleans resorts more. Good luck w/ your decision; hope you have a great time!

vicster
05-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Love POFQ - it's a smaller resort and it's great that everything's in walking distance. We also enjoy the boat to DTD.

Mousemates
05-24-2010, 03:48 PM
My advice is dependent upon a couple of things

1) how tight is your budget
2) how much time do you actually spend in room or at the resort.

Because if you budget is tight or you spend little time in your room (your more the park commando type), then I would stay at a value. The reality is that your children will probably enjoy the theming of the value more than any of the moderates you mentioned.

The bed/space issues that will begin to come into play more when your kids are a bit older have probably not reared their heads yet (if they have then POR trundle might be a good plan) and thus a move to what we consider the the "deluxe moderate" AKA Coronado springs (with queen beds) is something you can save for a future date.

But anyway...given your listed choices of PO or POP, I'd be inclined to go with POP or one of the All-stars and spend the money I saved each night on my room as a splurge someplace else during my stay.

Seasonscraps
05-24-2010, 03:58 PM
I like POR a smidge more the POFQ - only because Boatwrights and Bob Jackson are at Riverside. But both hotels are charming and well themed - the share amenities so you can use both pools, they have the boat to DTD, carraige rides, nice walking paths along the river, etc.

They are both pretty easy to navigate so I wouldn't worry about not knowing where things are at first - you'll find everything you need!

magicalmom
05-25-2010, 10:45 PM
POR and POFQ have boats to DTD; also POR has a fishin hole! (and all the tools and the half-built boat at the Boatwright's) They're sister resorts - you can do both feature pools, regardless of which of the PO resorts you choose.

Fastpasssteve
05-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Port Orleans French Quarter is a favorite of mine. I love the charming grounds, especially the dragon themed pool (Your kids would love it!).

This resort has a lovely food court--they sell freshly made beignets...just like down in New Orleans in the French Quarter!

This resort is also smaller, so the walk home after a frantic day in the parks will be much easier...especially since you'll probably be carrying the smallest one!

goofball
05-26-2010, 04:44 PM
It's a POFQ and POR tie for me. Both are great. I like the intimate feel of POFQ and the fact that it is the first bus stop. I love the New Orleans feel to it and the colorful buildings with the wrought iron railings overlooking the Sassagoula. POR is more spread out and has the mansions and the Alligator Bayou sections. It has more quiet pools to choose from and a TS restaurant. The grounds are lush and beautiful. You really can't go wrong with either one. They both have access to each other and the boat to Downtown Disney.

huslovesthemouse
05-30-2010, 06:23 AM
we just love POFQ - it's small so that no matter what building you're in you don't have to walk miles to get to the bus stop, food court, etc., and your kids will love the pool! POR is beautiful but it is absolutely huge!!!

LudwigVonDrake
05-31-2010, 11:20 AM
POFQ. It's much smaller and compact plus it has beignets :tasty:

johnO
05-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Make the decision easy....heads POFQ, tails POR

5MemphisTiggers
06-02-2010, 12:00 AM
I can't speak to POFQ, but DW and I stayed in the Mansions at POR last time down and loved it. Beautiful grounds, boat to DTD, nice room. We want to go back with the kids next time. (17, 15 and 11). We're sure they will enjoy it as much as we did.

Be brave, little Piglet. Branching out to another resort will be fun! ;)