PDA

View Full Version : Too late?

Mama2JandH
05-23-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm coming out of lurk mode! :blush: I've been using this wonderful website for a few years. It's a fabulous community and the information available has been unmatched!

I have a question: We're heading down to Disney World next Sunday for 7 days and have not made any advanced dining reservations. I tried to book a character breakfast at the Tusker House or Chef Mickeys, but they're both booked. Should I keep trying or just face the fact that it's not going to happen?

Erin

PETE FROM NYC
05-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Keep trying, but don't get your hopes up.

cer
05-23-2010, 02:38 PM
keep trying, but have back up plan.....

and so glad you are here! :thumbsup:

Strmchsr
05-23-2010, 02:57 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!! Glad you've decided to come in and join the fun.

I agree with others not to get your hopes up. Most restaurants are booked up by now, especially those places, but every now and then something opens up. You'll increase your chances by being flexible on times and dates.

Zippy 1
05-23-2010, 03:10 PM
I would keep trying right up until the day you leave. Try calling several times a day. You never know when you could get lucky. Also try while you are there. Sometimes if you are flexible with your times you might get something. Good luck!

Georgesgirl1
05-23-2010, 06:29 PM
People cancel or no show reservations quite often, so I wouldn't give up hope. Keep calling WDW-DINE or even just try walking up the day you want a reservation. We have gotten walk up reservations several times to some pretty popular places.

faline
05-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Last December, I was able to get a Chef Mickey's reservatin two days before we left on our trip. I'd keep trying and I'd try several times per day. You might not get it but you might also be pleasantly surprised.

Basket Mommy
05-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Like others have said, walking up and asking sometimes works to your advantage. Last trip we called dining from our hotel room and asked if there was an opening @ Rainforest Cafe @ DTD any time that same evening. The reply was that they were booked solid. We booked a table @ Fulton's just in case and hopped on a bus and went on over to DTD. We stopped at RC anyway and asked if they had tables available. We were seated immediately. You just never know when you're going to get lucky (and yes, I did call dining back and cancel the Fulton's reservation we'd made.)

We've done the same thing @ CRT for lunch. We walked up right at 11 am and were taken to a table very quickly. Got into Le Cellier once that way as well (for dinner, though).

mickeys_princess_mom
05-23-2010, 07:45 PM
People cancel or no show reservations quite often, so I wouldn't give up hope. Keep calling WDW-DINE or even just try walking up the day you want a reservation. We have gotten walk up reservations several times to some pretty popular places.

Good advice! We've been lucky many times!
Welcome and have fun! We'll be there with you! :wave:

Fastpasssteve
05-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Here's what I would do:

Call and get reservations at another character breakfast...like 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian. Great food and good character interaction...plus you're one monorail stop away from the Magic Kingdom.

If it doesn't have to be a character breakfast, I highly recommend Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The food is fabulous and even picky eaters can find things they like and feel more at ease with trying different things because it's a buffet, so they aren't locked-in to any one thing, in case they don't like something.

Once you get a reservation for SOMEWHERE, don't give up on calling back every day, perhaps a couple of times a day to see if they've had a cancellation. People are constantly changing and tweaking their plans for their trip...things are always in flux. Keep the faith. I've called while I've been down IN WDW and gotten a reservation I had been unable to nail down for the six previous months.

So, worst-case scenario: you have a reservation at a new and exciting restaurant in WDW!

Best-Case scenario: You end up getting the reservation you wanted all along. If you do get a chance at the restaurant of your choice, keep in mind what time(s) would or would not be possible, in keeping with your family's schedule. You should be prepared to give a response at the first possible opportunity.

Best of luck to you and your family.

5MemphisTiggers
05-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Other have said it, but I'll repeat it anyway -- keep trying! I've gotten ressies at Le Cellier and O'hana just a few weeks before my trip, and we've even tried calling the dining reservations number while walking around the park. You just never know if something will become available.

You do need to understand, though, that you are trying to grab a space that someone else drops, so your chances are lower. But don't let that stop you!

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Mama2JandH
05-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome and the great advice!

Erin

biodtl
05-24-2010, 11:39 AM
You can call the dining line directly from your hotel phone every day and see if anything has opened up for the day (or week). Being flexible on times and locations helps, too.

Kaps
05-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Keep trying or check at your hotel. Call ahead see if they take walk ups?