PDA

View Full Version : First Time at Contemporary...

alaMode
05-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Hola!

DS and I will be checking in at the Contemporary in 2 weeks!

DS has moderate cerebral palsy and uses a travel wheelchair when we visit WDW due to stamina/balance issues.

We're booked in the least expensive rooms (Garden wing?) and I'm wondering how far it will be to the pool/restaurants/monorail, etc.

Any suggestions for specific room #s?

Any advice/input you can share is greatly appreciated!

Simbajr4ever
05-23-2010, 01:38 PM
The garden rooms are very close to the main building. Especially using a wheelchair you will have no issues. The fast food place will be an elevator ride up to 4. As well as catching the alternative elevator to the monorail platform.
You will directly next to the pool being in the garden. The walkway from the garden building to the main buildings are covered with a roof. I don't think anything is farther than within a 5 minute walk.
Have a great time.

wdwfansince75
05-23-2010, 02:42 PM
If a patio is important, ask for the ground floor. The wing closest to the Tower is a very short walk....rooms 5105-5115 have a view of the pool and dock area (as do 5201-5215, and 5301-5315) Note that rooms 5101-5104 are suites. Those are actually the closest rooms to the tower. Rooms 5140-5150 have a view of the waterway...very private, and usually a very quiet wing...and not all that long a walk...I would estimate that from room 5150, it is about 100 yards to the lobby of the Tower...perhaps a few feet more...
Monorail entrance is on the fourth floor of the Tower..."the Concourse", as are Chef Mickeys, the Game room, the Grab n Go, and several stores....The buses are through the lobby, and to the end of the Tower...no more that about 200 yards from the South Wing.

One of my few complaints about the CR rooms is the narrow and cluttered (refigerator, coffee maker, closets, and some storage) vestibule...in addition to all the above, it also holds the entrance to the bathroom...

alaMode
05-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Thanks for all the great info! I REALLY appreciate it!

Granny Jill A
06-02-2010, 01:39 PM
One of my few complaints about the CR rooms is the narrow and cluttered (refigerator, coffee maker, closets, and some storage) vestibule...in addition to all the above, it also holds the entrance to the bathroom...

You seem very knowledgable about the Contemporary. I'm staying there for the very first time this November, and I'm wondering if you know anything about the tower rooms? I've requested a tower room facing MK, and I don't know much about them. Do you have any tips for requesting rooms?

Simbajr4ever
06-03-2010, 11:33 PM
All rooms are identical at the CR. Tower and Garden. Unless, you have a suite, or deluxe room.
There are no bad views at the MK side of the tower. [or the bay lake side actually]. I prefer to be over the shops its a little quietier. MK view rooms start on the 6th floor and go through 11. You get a little more bus noise on the lower rooms, and most people prefer the higher floors. They feel the "view" is better. I have stayed in many of these rooms and it really did not make a difference.

PlutoPlanet
06-04-2010, 12:27 PM
It is a lot of fun to ride the monorail.

Still, you may want to walk/roll directly to the Magic Kingdom sometimes without taking the monorail. That can be faster than taking the monorail often, especially at the beginning or end of the day.

RBrooksC
06-11-2010, 07:45 AM
It is a lot of fun to ride the monorail.

Still, you may want to walk/roll directly to the Magic Kingdom sometimes without taking the monorail. That can be faster than taking the monorail often, especially at the beginning or end of the day.

It is a five to ten minute walk to the MK from the CR, it is twenty minute ride on the Monorail from the CR to the MK. Unless you have some strange desire to ride the Monorail, you would be better served to walk to the park.

When we were in Disney last time, we ate breakfast at Chef Mickey's and went to the MK, I suggested we walk because it was such a bright, sunny, humid and VERY hot morning. The walk was easy and much more convenient than taking the Monorail.

wdwfansince75
06-11-2010, 09:52 AM
You seem very knowledgable about the Contemporary. I'm staying there for the very first time this November, and I'm wondering if you know anything about the tower rooms? I've requested a tower room facing MK, and I don't know much about them. Do you have any tips for requesting rooms?

While we have stayed at the CR eight or so times, we always stayed in the wings.
However, from the layout of the resort, any MK view room would have a great view of the Lagoon, and especially of the MK...Plan at least one night of Fireworks viewing from your room...all the tower rooms do have a balcony.