faline
05-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Friday, May 14, 2010

Plan for the Day:
Disney Studios
Lunch at the Fountain at the Dolphin
Dinner at Narcoosee’s

How the Day Really Went:
While the beds at Coronado Springs suit us much better, there is really too much light in the room for me to be able to sleep well. The beds here are dressed with quilts and another piece of fabric that I can only describe as a table runner. Gene figured out he could take that runner and put it up over the top of the drapes (as there is a space between the top of the drapes and the window) to block out the light coming in there. That made the room darker and we both slept much better.

We got up around 7:30. Last evening, we bought cake at the bakery to have for breakfast this morning. We made coffee. Gene pulled out the cake – oops! We don’t have any forks with which to eat the cake! The cake goes back in the fridge. We drink the coffee while we watch the news. The shuttle is scheduled to launch at 2:20 today. I didn’t know that! We’ll have to keep that in mind and hope we can get a glimpse!

Out to the bus stop we go. After a short wait, we board a bus for Hollywood Studios. This is the only park we have not yet visited on this trip. Once inside the gate, we head to Tower of Terror. It says 13 minutes is the wait time. Goody! Must be a walk-on so we go round the corner. Oops! That line must be more than a walk-on! Let’s get a fast pass instead. Our fast pass will allow us to return at 10. I believe this will be the last day Rock n Roller Coaster will be open before it goes down for refurb. Oops! Guess it went down early as it’s closed – no wonder Tower of Terror built such a long line so quickly.

We head over to the Writer’s Shop. Along the way, we pass by the folks who are auditioning contestants for American Idol. They invite us to try out. Obviously, these folks have never heard me sing. I’d be a far better contestant for the Gong Show (Anyone remember that?) than I am for this so we decline!

At the Writer’s Shop, I get a white chocolate macadamia nut cookie and Gene has a muffin. We sit at the counter and watch folks walk by while we eat. We have a nice conversation with the cast member here who tries to convince us to dine at Morrocco. Tunmies satisfied, we walk over to Toy Story Mania. The stand-by line is listed as 40 minutes. It’s already time for our Tower of Terror fast passes so we’re able to pick up fast passes for Toy Story Mania and decide to join the line. Yes, it really is 40 minutes. When we get on line Mr. Potato Head is not operational but, apparently, they are able to get him going again about 5 minutes before we reach him. We have a fun ride and both of us score over 100,000 which, for me, is quite good!

Time for our trip on Tower of Terror. The stand-by line is now listed at 40 minutes but we are able to walk right on with our fast passes. We visit the Magic of Disney Animation. I might consider a pic with Sorcerer Mickey but the line is scary long! It’s close to noon so we pop into the Tune In Lounge and find seats at the bar. Gene has a turkey sandwich and I have a fish sandwich.

After lunch, we’re a couple of minutes late, but are able to see the Beauty and the Beast show. They’ve tweaked this a little bit since we were here last! The Great Movie Ride is literally a walk on. We don’t see any of the clips in the pre-show and are loaded on a tram immediately! We still have fast passes to Toy Story Mania so head there. My score is better than this morning but not by much.

I thought about going to the American Idol experience which we’ve never done but decide we’ll go home and swim instead. As we are leaving the park, I glance at my watch. It’s about 2:10. Then I remember! The shuttle is scheduled to launch at 2:20 today!

We exit the park. We see a group of 15 – 20 folks standing off on the left in the grass. Never saw anyone hang out there before. Of course! They’re waiting for the shuttle! Right on time, we see the shuttle go up on the far horizon! From this distance, it looks like a big firecracker going up. Wow! I can actually hear it! It’s faint but I can hear it which surprises me as I would have thought we were far too distant to hear! Way cool!

A bus pulls away from our stop just as we begin to head that way after watching the shuttle so we need to wait close to 20 minutes before another comes along. Once back in our room, we change into our suits and head down to the pool. Hmmm! There are towel return bins here but no towels. One woman says she had a note in her room saying we should use room towels for this pool. If we do that, we won’t have enough towels for showers after the pool and in the morning. The main pool is about a 5 minute walk away. We head over there and gather up towels but decide to return to the quiet pool instead of staying here.

We go for a relatively quick dip and head back to our room for showers and to dress for dinner. Around 5, we head back out to the bus stop and only wait about 5 minutes or so before a bus for the Magic Kingdom appears. We take that and, from there, board a boat to the Grand Floridian. We walk to the main building. The band is playing. We love the band! We head up to Mizner’s for a pre-dinner drink and to listen to the band.

After drinks, we head downstairs. Gene and I take the opportunity to dance to the song the band is playing. Very nice! We then walk over to Narcoosee’s for our 7 p.m. reservation. We’re seated immediately. Our server is from Morrocco. He’s very nice. He’s been here since 1999 and has not been home for the last 5 years though is planning a trip home soon.

We start our meal with a cheese appetizer. Very yummy! Gene has the filet and I have halibut. Delicous! I end my meal with decaf coffee.

We don’t think we’ll have enough time to get over to the Magic Kingdom before the fireworks so decide to watch them from the dock. While waiting, we have a nice conversation with a couple from Miami. They’re camping in Fort Wilderness in an Airstream. The fireworks are beautiful as always!

To get back home, we take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom and then head to the Coronado Springs bus stop. One family is there and said the bus was so packed they opted to wait for the next one. We wait about 10 minutes for a bus. When we pull away, our bus is not full which surprised me! We get off at El Centro so we can get some forks! From there, we walk home.

This has been a wonderful day!

Strmchsr
05-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Thanks for sharing. That's very cool about seeing the shuttle. I've always wanted to be in WDW when one went up.

Jeff
05-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Sounds like a good day. Seeing the shuttle would be very cool!:thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-23-2010, 03:36 PM
What a wonderful day! We tried to see the shuttle the last time we were there, but it was way too cloudy :(

artyboy
05-23-2010, 04:23 PM
So cool that you got to see the shuttle launch! Thanks for posting!

#1disneyfan
05-23-2010, 04:49 PM
I hope oneday to see a shuttle launch, so cool! Glad you remembered the forks ;)

faline
05-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks for sharing. That's very cool about seeing the shuttle. I've always wanted to be in WDW when one went up.

Actualy, this is the second time we've seen the shuttle take off. The first time was WAY back in the 1980's. For that one, we got up at 4:00 in the morning and drove toward the coast - ended up near a back gate to the facility. We were much closer for that one and the roar of the engines was really something - certainly something I'll never forget!

mouseketeer mom
05-23-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm enjoying your report, Linda, and felt panicky for you when I read about your tooth!!! That would be a nightmare for me. Sounds like you are very go with the flow about it, and you guys sound like you have a relaxing touring style. Looking forward to more!

yjgirl32
05-23-2010, 09:20 PM
We are going to be trying Narcosse's on our trip in Oct. We will be going there for my DH's birthday. I am hoping he likes it.

KylesMom
05-24-2010, 10:12 AM
I guess the cake will have to wait for tomorrow's breakfast!

Kind of a bummer that RnRC was down - but once again, you sure were able to hit the major attractions without a problem. I have never seen TGMR without a line - I can't imagine not seeing those clips 6+ times. :D "Oh no you don't, Ethan!" :blush:

What a lovely dinner, and a great finish to your day with fireworks from the GF dock. Thanks for sharing another magical day with us, Linda! :mickey:

wildernesslady
05-24-2010, 02:49 PM
We were able to watch the shuttle at the beach at WL. It was great. We were ready to leave and one of the locals said to wait for the boom. Thanks for the great reports. I'm really enjoying them.

faline
05-24-2010, 02:52 PM
We were able to watch the shuttle at the beach at WL. It was great. We were ready to leave and one of the locals said to wait for the boom. Thanks for the great reports. I'm really enjoying them.

So you were able to hear it also? It was faint enough, that if one wasn't paying attention, one wouldn't really hear it or would overlook it.

Since we were there at the same time, I wonder if we crossed paths at all?

DizNee143
05-24-2010, 03:35 PM
besides the no forks!!! what a great day!!!!!!
getting to dinner..dinner..and the fireworks all sound very nice! :mickey:

DisneyBarb
05-26-2010, 11:32 PM
So glad you got to see the Shuttle launch! We saw it in November and what a great memory! Always fun to read your reports!

DisneyorBust
05-27-2010, 07:31 AM
We had the good fortune to see a Shuttle launch last year, from the Monorail station at the Magic Kingdom!
Enjoying the reports, thanks for taking the time to share.

vizsla
05-30-2010, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the report.

princessgirls
06-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Linda,

That is awesome that you caught a glimpse of the shuttle.

Your evening at the Grand Floridian sounds just lovely...a true date night. Glad you enjoyed!

Thanks for sharing!

Julie:mickey:

pdrlkr
06-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

JWB3
06-04-2010, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=faline;2057978][B]Friday, May 14, 2010

It’s close to noon so we pop into the Tune In Lounge and find seats at the bar. Gene has a turkey sandwich and I have a fish sandwich.

Thanks so much for such wonderful trip reports! Just one question: where in DHS is the "Tune In Lounge?" We're going back in early October and look forward to trying out a few new things. 120 days and counting!:mickey:

faline
06-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Just one question: where in DHS is the "Tune In Lounge?"

It's next to the 50's Prime Time Cafe. In fact, most lunchtimes, it overflows with folks waiting to be seated for their Prime Time lunch bookings!

JWB3
06-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks Faline! Your trip reports are a fun read - just like being there!