PDA

View Full Version : Brief Trip Overview - POR, Beach Club and Dining

wdwluv
05-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Our first ever on property stay was GREAT!

The kids LOVED POR pools, and we loved the whole property and experience. Loved the boat to DTD and the fact that the Jazz music played till you hit DTD and it changed to Pop - that was a neat little touch for me. And being able to use the French Quarter pool in addition to ours was great. PIANO MAN was SPECTACULAR! So glad our night was free to see him. (he was out of town for the rest of our trip! I knew that in advance since I signed up for his emails and made sure to get there that night!) Kind of funny that almost every day we got a note in our room - one day was a notice of fire alarm testing, then another day was a black bear wandering the grounds and that they couldn't do anything cuz it is a protected animal!!!..and then another day advising us of the Triathalon going on and it being near our resort was going to affect travel! Oy vay! (i think it jam packed MK on our park day too...grrrr)

We stayed one day at the Beach Club - what a beautiful place. The pool was amazing - though for my little ones - I think they actually enjoyed the POR pool better! I am glad we stayed there the day though. We were actually glad that the big slide at Stormalong Bay was closed - the lifeguard said the lines are always long for it - and it's the same place that the kiddie slide is. We were the only ones there for the kiddie slide! The boat over to Boardwalk, and the Boardwalk itself were neat to experience. We wouldn't have gone otherwise. My kids loved the acts - the magic shows in particular. Movie on the beach at night was fun too.

We had a rental car since we had just two park days - and lots of different resort meals to get to, and the resort to resort travel is so difficult.

Dining experiences:

Riverside Mill at POR - my hubby loved roast beef with blue cheese on cibatta bread, I didn't really care for my muffaletta, but I've never had one, so I may not like it anywhere. Kids have basic tastes so the spaghetti and pizza were tops with them.

I am bummed that we never found time to get to FQ to get a benniet. (i know that's spelled wrong)

Chef Mickey - food was okay. Loved to see the characters, but it makes for a very difficult actual meal. Sometimes you are holding off getting food when a character seems close to your table, then if you have gotten your food, it may sit and get cold while you interact with the characters. I'm not complaining, mind you...just my thoughts on it. I wanted to do dinner but could only get a breakfast reservation with our last minute trip. Which I was thankful to get just 2 days before our trip after weeks of trying!

Earl of Sandwich in DTD - Jerk Chicken sandwich - yum! And one daughter loved the grilled cheese - other kids, not so much.

Kona - breakfast - server was a little neglectful, though of course that could happen anytime/anywhere. Food for me was just okay.

'Ohana dinner - I really enjoyed it. I kinda felt like the "entertainment" was a bit cheesy. But my daughter enjoyed it - and I enjoyed the food.

Garden Grill - Kids didn't eat much (but they never do) and food was okay - not bad - just not great. I expected that though, with reading everyone else's talk about restaurant experiences. The kids love the rotating restaurant and the characters - and really for us, I feel like the dining is more for the experience, not so much the food.

Crystal Palace - beautiful seting - but again...for me...food was only okay. (just like Chef Mickey, it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so darn expensive for just okay food!) I feel like we wasted precious park time though. It was an 8:20 reservation - so thankfully a bit before park opening - but we were lonnnggg done eating and we were still waiting for Tigger to come around as I watched the flood of people entering the park!

We didn't eat much the rest of the day except for a counter service of Pinnochio Village Haus. And if it tells you anything - it was one of my daughters favorites. (in addition to that grilled cheese at Earl) The wait was pretty long to place an order. That wasn't fun. But the cast was great - a large group came and sang to me for my birthday, and they were all so fun and nice!

We woke up late after our MK day and missed our breakfast plans of Sassagoula. So we actually headed to an IHOP since we really wanted some breakfast food.

We had Boma reservations but skipped it. We spent some more time in DTD and pool time and the food was more for us than them. I hope to get there someday. (I also screwed up - I had planned to pay cash for Kona, since it was inexpensive and forgot! So we used a DDP credit! DOH! That credit was sposd to be for Boma!)

Cookes of Dublin in DTD - We really liked our fish and chips - and nothing on the menu suited the kids, so they just had the ice cream! We did head to Wolfgang's for the quick service and got grilled cheese for them. We had a very rude cashier and a long wait for GRILLED CHEESE! But the server outside was very mindful of us and made sure to let us know he didn't forget about us and it was coming.

Monday morning we checked out of POR earlyish and headed to the Beach Club. We were able to get our room right away which was wonderful! We were able to get dressed for the pool in our room instead of restroom! We did Cape May for our Goofy character breakfast. I personally really enjoyed this breakfast and it seemed much less hectic than the other character meals. AND the characters were able to make their way around a couple of times. I would definitely do it again. (especially since Goofy is my personal fave)

We had lunch at Hurricance Hanna's - it served it's purpose.

Dinner was going to be Beaches and Cream but we ended up at the Boardwalk and ate at the Bakery. I didn't enjoy that at all. My kids were glad they ran out of applesauce so they got cookies instead though! (it's strange to me that the adult meals have dessert and the kids don't)

Not sure how quick that overview was - but for me it is! LOL

:mickey::mickey::mickey:

KylesMom
05-20-2010, 11:36 AM
What a wonderful 40th birthday! Not having stayed on property before, it had to be an extra-special treat to finish your trip at BC.

Kind of funny that almost every day we got a note in our room - one day was a notice of fire alarm testing, then another day was a black bear wandering the grounds and that they couldn't do anything cuz it is a protected animal!!!..and then another day advising us of the Triathalon going on and it being near our resort was going to affect travel! Oy vay! (i think it jam packed MK on our park day too...grrrr) Wow, not a dull moment, huh? I figured you were going to hit some traffic at MK on triathalon day, but a bear on the grounds?!!! YIKES!:jaw:

For the most part, your dining experiences sound like they were ok - you tried a lot of places! All in all, a fun-filled trip; thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the next one! :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
05-20-2010, 04:47 PM
This was a great summary.
I had to laugh about the Chef Mickey's part. I too, have a heck of a time figuring out when to get my food, seems a character is always just around the bend or something.!!!
I remember all your planning..sounds like it turned into a successful trip!

faline
05-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Wow! Black bear! We got the notice about the alrams at French Quarter but we transferred over to Coronardo Springs (see my upoming trip reports for how this came about) so never got any information about a bear! We did see deer, bunnies, and an alligator but no bears! We missed everything about the triathalon and never got a notice in our room so that definitely changed our plans one day!

Thanks for the report!

pdrlkr
05-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: