PDA

View Full Version : Is access to the boat a big deal?

Wall-e
05-18-2010, 06:57 PM
I am trying to decide where to stay during our first trip to the world. I am deciding between Port Orleans Riverside and Carribean Beach Resort. POR has access to the boat, and since I will be relying entirely on Disney transporation I thought having easy access to an option besides the bus might be nice. From what I can see it only goes to Down Town Disney. That being said, do you think the boat access is a factor I should even be considering when deciding between the two resorts?

Thanks!

kakn7294
05-18-2010, 07:14 PM
It was never a deciding factor for us but we don't spend much time at DTD. It is not a time-saver as it takes generally around the same amount of time as the bus. The boats are open-air so you are exposed to the elements. It is a nice change though.

Strmchsr
05-18-2010, 07:42 PM
I agree with Kathy that the boat shouldn't be a deciding factor. Generally it's crowded and slow, especially in the evenings. I've had to wait 2-3 boats before getting on one. So, this last time at POFQ we never took the boat, even though we enjoy the ride. I'd say make your consideration based on theming.

Alaska Disney Fan
05-18-2010, 08:04 PM
I enjoy the boat ride and we spend quite a bit of time at DTD (mainly eating), that being said though, I like POFQ because it is more compact and quieter. At both POR and CBR you can end up having a long walk to he main buildings and there are multiple bus stops that you will have to stop at either coming or going. We haven't stayed at POFQ yet (only 128 days to go!!), but have spent some time there while staying at POR.

HoosierDisneyFan
05-18-2010, 08:11 PM
The boat to DTD is one of the factors why we like POFQ. It is true that you can also take the bus to DTD. In my view the boat is not just "transportation" but a nice benefit to the resort. I guess if you lived on a river, lake or ocean and ride on boats all the time it would not be a bid deal but for us taking the boat is a rare pleasure.

Mousemates
05-18-2010, 10:14 PM
The boat probably shouldn't be that big a facto rin your decison...because while it is nice its not a deal breaker...however, to us the decision between those two particular resorts is easy with POR a definite winner over CB. To us CB just feels like "anywhere else in central Florida" and lacks any extra magic. The food and entertainment (great piano/song man) of POR also make POR a winner.

Tink#64
05-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Not having stayed at either resort, I can't cast a vote for either, but you can still enjoy using the boats for transpo at other times! We have taken the boats from DHS over to the Swan & Dolphin area to walk over & play putt putt at Fantasia Gardens, and from Epcot over to the BW resort for dinner & shopping. Our most fun boating experience was from the WL! We had dinner at The Whispering Canyon Cafe & then went out to the boat dock to watch the Floating Electrical Pageant & then rode the boat back to the MK (where we then took the bus back to Pop) and we were able to watch some of Wishes from the water! It was so cool! :fworks:

We only visit DTD once each trip, always on arrival day, so for us that wouldn't be a factor. IMHO, I'd choose the resort by the theming that best suits your family and if you want the boat experience, you have lots of other oppotunities. :boat:

5MemphisTiggers
05-19-2010, 01:03 AM
If you plan on spending a lot of time at DTD, then having the boat as alternate transportation that you will actually use would be a plus. The boat ride is a fun alternative to riding the bus, but it only goes to one destination. You will still be relying on other transportation to get to the other parks -- and it sounds like you will be relying on the bus system.

Between the two, it is my impression that bussing is essentially the same. Each resort has several bus stops that you will have to "endure" either coming or going. So, to me, this becomes a neutral factor.

It was a toss up between the two resorts for DW and me during our last trip. We opted for POR and loved it. We are planning to go back asaa (as soon as affordable) with the kids and stay at POR again. Several friends of our, however, swear by the CBR.

It's Disney . . . can't go wrong. :mickey:

Fastpasssteve
05-19-2010, 02:49 AM
Having access to a boat option might be an important factor if you were staying at the Grand Floridian, the Polynesian, or the Wilderness Lodge, but at POFQ it's not as big of a deal. Taking the boat to DTD is a fun thing, not a 'make or break' kind of thing. I like the buses. There's air conditioning on the buses. Seriously. However, if you stay at a boat resort, take it at least once and take some pictures. It'll make for good scrapbook material.

#1donaldfan
05-19-2010, 12:17 PM
.....the boat should not be a deal breaker, but it is a great trip, very relaxing and a far different ride to DtD...no one ever has to stand as you sometimes do on the busses.......this being said, for me, maybe it is a factor after all !!??:confused:

renecat
05-19-2010, 12:32 PM
I have stayed at POFQ and the CB resorts never POR. My sister stayed at POR and said she would have rather stayed at POFQ. I would vote for POFQ or POR over CB. MY DH like POFQ better than CB. The boat ride to DTD is nice.

pamickeys
05-19-2010, 12:42 PM
at those two places you're taking a bus everywhere

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-20-2010, 09:55 PM
The boat is neat, but, as the previous posters have said, not worth choosing a resort over.

It is just a boat ride, and we usually take it once during our trip, but I would choose the resort based in theming and what you think you'd like best.