PDA

View Full Version : a restaurant that is similar to Le Cellier?

Briansmom
05-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Well, I have been trying and trying to get an ADR at Le Cellier for our Sept trip....needless to say I might as well be trying to fly like Tinkerbell.
So my question is this....is there another restaurant in the parks that is similar to Le Cellier (that's on the DDP)?
When I was trying to make an ADR with the DRC, the very nice lady suggested the restaurant in France saying they had a similar menu. Is this really the case?

TIA!

buzznwoodysmom
05-18-2010, 06:38 PM
I, personally, don't think your missing out on much. We've tried Le Cellier twice due to all the hype and we still don't know what all the hoopla is. It wasn't horrible, just OK, but we'll never bother eating there again. In Nov. my hubby and I celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary at Yatchsman's Steakhouse at the Yatch club, which is just a short boat ride from Epcot. It was an incredible meal. Its 2 TS credits on the dining plan, so it may be more than you want to spend/use, but it was a wonderful meal. We had dinner at Coral Reef once where I got a delishous steak. I'd say the steak I had at Coral Reef was much better than the filet I ordered at Le Cellier. A favorite of my family's is Tepan Edo in Japan. Wonderful food, excellent service, and I'm sure they have steak on their menu. I'm guessing your wanting steak at Le Cellier??? I hope you are able to find something to your liking. With all the places in Epcot you won't go hungry that's for sure. Hahaha.

Urbss
05-18-2010, 06:44 PM
I really liked Le Cellier when we went there 2 years ago.

If you really want to go and can't get an ADR for it, there is nothing saying you can't just try to eat there as a walk in.

Actually, I read a blog about a month ago from a woman that decided she was not going to make any ADRs and was going to see what happened. She said she had some minimal wait times, but was able to eat at any of the full service restaurants that she went to. One of the places was Le Cellier.

You can always try - what is the worse thing that could happen??

SBETigg
05-18-2010, 06:48 PM
No, the menu and food at Chefs de France is really not like Le Cellier at all. You would find it to be very different, I think. Of course, knowing that you can't get Le Cellier, there are lots of great places to try. I think there's a lot better than Le Cellier, but there's also worse. It's good, but not great for me. So I'm always happy to try something new. In your case, you won't find one that's all that close to it menu-wise in the parks, or for 1 TS credit.

Some good, though not necessarily similar, TS meals in the Epcot area for one credit:
Coral Reef
Chefs de France
Teppan Edo
Tokyo Dining
Rose & Crown
Kouzzina

And I would add that if you don't mind making to the MK area, Grand Floridian Cafe is a very good meal for 1 ts.

Briansmom
05-18-2010, 09:27 PM
If you really want to go and can't get an ADR for it, there is nothing saying you can't just try to eat there as a walk in.

I had thought about this as well but not knowing how long we would have to wait is an issue. Our DS has autism and let's just say that waiting is not a strong suit for him. Of course, still could try it and if too long of a wait, just say no thanks.

We have eaten at Le Cellier the last two years we went and had great experiences both times. Since I am sort of pushing this trip on my DH :blush:, I thought I would try to get an ADR to somewhere that I know he likes.
I have two days without an ADR(because I have 2 in one day-early b'fast and then early supper, no lunch) and no definite park plans for those days, so the ADR doesn't have to be in a park at all. These are the ADR's we have so far:

Whispering Canyon (once again for hubby)
Donald's Safari (for DS)
Teppan Edo
H&V B'fast (for DS)
Mama Melrose (for DD)
Ohanas (for ALL of us!)

I like trying new places as well (therefore Teppan Edo) but also have to keep my special DS in mind as he can be rather picky.

As far as Coral Reef, unfortunately I have a problem with eating fish while looking at it swimming around....I know, I know....just go along with me, ok??

Thanks for all the input...it has my wheels turning...

5MemphisTiggers
05-19-2010, 12:16 AM
I second what SBETigg said about Chefs de France. I don't think the menu would compare to Le Cellier. My DW and I had dinner at CdF during one of our trips, though, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Food and atmosphere were great.

As for Le Cellier, we love it. We've eaten there on two of our trips and had excellent meals both times. I love the coffee-rubbed KC strip and the maple creme brulee. If you really want to eat there, don't give up on ressies. Last trip I tried for weeks to get one, and finally succeeded about two weeks before we left. If you haven't already, try booking the ressie using the on-line system. You can check availability every few minutes while watching TV, and it doesn't cost you anything.

I'm sure there are other places to get a good steak that are still only 1 TS, but I haven't looked for them. I might try scanning the menus before my next trip, though.

Good luck!

buzznwoodysmom
05-19-2010, 12:39 AM
As far as Coral Reef, unfortunately I have a problem with eating fish while looking at it swimming around....I know, I know....just go along with me, ok??

I was the same way which is why I ordered the steak. My mom and DH both had a taste of my steak, and my BIL ordered it as well and his wife and kids had a taste of his, and it was decided among us all that our steaks were the best item on both tables. It was really, really good.

Fastpasssteve
05-19-2010, 03:16 AM
I would vote for the Coral Reef, as well! I love this restaurant. Both meat and fish are deliciously prepared. In fact, if I had not been able to acquire reservations at Le Cellier (sorry), I would have done the very same thing.

So, call and make your reservation NOW for Coral Reef, but don't give up on Le Cellier. Keep calling back every day. People are constantly changing their plans and cancelling/changing reservations. There is still hope...but in the mean time, you have your reservation at CR.

Keep the faith.

SBETigg
05-19-2010, 11:02 AM
I like trying new places as well (therefore Teppan Edo) but also have to keep my special DS in mind as he can be rather picky.

Thanks for all the input...it has my wheels turning...

I understand more why it's such an issue now, yes. Maybe something will open up for you. I would definitely keep trying, and book a back-up in case, even knowing it won't be quite the same. I actually understand your Coral Reef problem. Rose and Crown might also be a good back-up to consider, too. It's pretty basic as far as presentation.

Good luck with it!

PopPhan
05-19-2010, 12:04 PM

Le Celier does NOT take walk-ups. We watched a number of people come to the desk while we were awaiting our seating in September and they were all told NO WALK UPS!

I would say Flying Fish is comparable, but that is a 2TS meal.

PlutoPlanet
05-20-2010, 12:28 PM
I recommend avoiding Yachtmans, we thought it was overpriced. Take a look at Kouzzina. It is not very close to Le Cellier, but it is very good and different for Disney. We've eaten there twice.

Disdad13
05-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Have you considered a lunch at LeCellier instead of dinner? If that can work with your schedule, you might want to try that. We just make plans for an early September trip, and I just made some on-line ADRs on Monday. Coral Reef seemed pretty booked for dinner, as did LeCellier. But I didn't have any problem getting LeCellier for a late lunch. Something to consider if you really want to go there...

Briansmom
05-20-2010, 11:42 PM
But I didn't have any problem getting LeCellier for a late lunch. Something to consider if you really want to go there...

I have tried every time there is.... :(

chrim
05-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Well, if you are looking for a fairly quiet place, and one that has several meat and potato items on the menu, and you are willing to eat somewhere outside a theme park, I would suggest the Turf Club Bar and Grill at the Saratoga Springs resort.

It is open for lunch and dinner. One way to reach that resort is to take a boat from Downtown Disney, which runs about once every 30 minutes.

The Turf Club doesn't have beer and cheese soup, or maple creme brulee, but they do have steak, pork, lamb, prime rib, tuna, and salmon (or at least they did when I was there in December).

Good luck deciding what to try!

DizneyRox
05-23-2010, 05:52 AM
If you have a car Outback Steakhouse has a few locations where you can get comparable steaks, however none are on the Disney Dining Plan.

Garden Grill is a good spot in Epcot for a great meal. We have always had a good meal there. There isn't anything really comparable to LeCellier (as much as I complain about the generic menus at WDW). It's overhyped for sure, but I can't think of a place very similar and priced comparatively.

Jared
05-23-2010, 08:27 AM
It's overhyped for sure, but I can't think of a place very similar and priced comparatively.
This sentence succinctly and accurately explains Le Cellier's immense popularity. It is the only restaurant on property the specializes in basic meat and potatoes for just one credit on the dining plan. The advent of all these plans essentially created Le Cellier. It is a bit more expensive than the average one-credit location, so guests feel compelled to try it to maximize the value of their dollar. The menu also appeals to most American palates.

As I'm sure many of you know, a rumor surfaced recently that Le Cellier is converting into a signature restaurant in the coming months. I suspect that will make securing a reservation considerably easier.

Briansmom
05-24-2010, 12:22 AM
So, I was looking at the restaurants at some of the resorts that we haven't explored yet and found Captain's Grille and Cape May Clam Bake (which I know is not anything like Le Cellier but we are up for trying new things, remember?) I have seen great reviews on Cape May's but what about Captain's Grille? Any experiences with that one? I'm excited that these two places are somewhere we've never been and that we could also ride the boat from either Epcot or DHS....two new experiences in one! Ka-ching!

Also, thanks for all the great responses! My fellow intercotees never let me down! :number1:

DizneyRox
05-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Cape May is good, but very far from a New England Clambake... The food is good, not awesome, but it [probably] won't get you sick. I like the characters there as well.

You'll get to Cape May faster by walking than taking the boat.

GreenB
05-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi Everybody!

As I'm sure many of you know, a rumor surfaced recently that Le Cellier is converting into a signature restaurant in the coming months. I suspect that will make securing a reservation considerably easier.

I truly hope this becomes a reality.
I have gone to Le Cellier on three occasions and every single time I've promised not to come back.
The last time we went, I had it for good!!
In my very humble opinion, the food is TOTALLY MEDIOCRE. There are good dishes for sure, the cheddar cheese soup for instance, but the dishes the restaurant is known for (steaks) are really mediocre at best.
If steak is what you are looking for, there are very decent ones at "The Flying Fish" at the Boardwalk. Not in EPCOT but very close tough. Also keep in mind that this is a 2 credit restaurant.
There are also decent steaks at the Yachtsman in the Yacht Club (2 credits as well) and also at Shula's in the Dolphin Hotel. (Not part of the Disney Dining Plan and quite expensive, but worth it.)
Best Regards.

Pigtunia
05-25-2010, 04:14 PM
If you want a steak meal (like LeCellier), and you're at EPCOT, you could try Yachtsmen. It's not that far a walk from the World Showcase entrance to EPCOT. It's more expensive than LeCellier, but it IS really good.

Septbride2002
05-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Since your looking for something to intice the hubby - my husband loves to eat at the ESPN club at the Boardwalk. You cannot do ADR's but I tell ya the food is actually really good. and as my Husband says "it's real food!" Real Burgers, Chicken Wings, etc.

My inlaws very much liked "The Wave" at the Contemporary when they went.

~Amanda