PDA

View Full Version : Driving thru DC

PETE FROM NYC
05-18-2010, 04:15 PM
This September, DW and I will be driving to WDW and she wants to see some of our nations capital. Not necessarily stopping, but maybe just parking to snap a photo or two.
Is this possible on a Sunday?
What exit would we get off from I-95?

magicalmom
05-18-2010, 11:05 PM
About 45 miles south of Baltimore, take 495 West to Virginia.

Take Connecticut Ave exit South. This will take you through Chevy Chase, Md, into the District, via Dupont Circle. (You'll pass the National Zoo - worth a stop, free admission!) Connecticut turns into 17th St. Make a left on Constitution. This takes you along the Mall. If you look sharp between your left turn off 17th and 15th, you'll see the White House on your left. At 15th, youl'll also see the Washington Monument on your right. Constitution will then take you along the north side of the Mall, and dump you onto Pennsylvania, almost at the Capitol. Turn right at the Capitol, (nice view on your left) then right again on Independence until you see signs to 95 south. Alternatively, turn right on 3rd St. NW (I think) and you'll also have a great view of the Capitol on your left. You can then exit DC through the 3rd St. Tunnel, putting you back on 95 toward Orlando. Both these routes will take you past the Jefferson Memorial (on your right)

Sundays are fine; many of the parking restrictions are lifted on Sundays.

If you can possibly spend a couple of hours in DC, it's worth it - stop at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History to see the dinosaurs and the Hope Diamond, or the National Air and Space Museum. Museum of American History has the real Star-Spangled Banner, as well as First Ladies' Inaugural Gowns. National Gallery of Art has a portrait by Leonardo da Vinci.(Lots of maps available online)

All of the Smithsonian museums have free admission - you've been paying taxes all these years for this privilege!

If you can take a little time in DC, there's a lot here!! You could see the Bureau of Printing and Engraving, where they print the money, or the National Holocaust Museum (I can't recommend this for young children). There's even the National Cathedral, very like cathedrals in Europe.

You could also park in the structure at Union Station (just north of the Capitol) and catch a Tourmobile there, which will take you to almost all the sights, with hop-on/hop-off privileges. This would let you see the Lincoln Memorial, and Arlington Cemetary, along with the other sights, in a couple of hours.

Please, feel free to PM me w/ other questions.

diz_girl
05-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Sunday mornings are probably your best shot for that kind of thing. Although I haven't been to DC on a weekend since I was a kid, there seems to be a rule of thumb for Sunday mornings everywhere. People sleep in, go to church, go to brunch, etc., so places don't seem to get crowded until later in the morning.

For example, DH and I went to see the Radio City Christmas Spectabular about five years ago. The performance was at 9 a.m., so we got there at 8. You know how crowded the tree at Rockerfeller Center gets? Well, not at 8:30 a.m. on a Sunday. The place was empty and we were able to take pictures of us alone by the tree with no one else in the picture and the entire tree in the picture.

Now, you'll be driving about 4-5 hours to get there (depending on how closely you adhere to the speed limit), but if you leave early enough in the morning, say by 6 a.m. (and something tells me that you do that anyway, especially since you probably aren't traveling with small children), then you can get into DC by 10-11 a.m., snap a few photos and be out of there by 1 p.m., but, depending on how many photos you take, maybe as early as Noon.

Katzateer
05-20-2010, 11:23 AM
We will never drive in WAshington, DC again. I would recommend taking mass transit from a stop outside of the city and then getting off near where ever you want to go.

I would highly recommend the TourMobile run by the national park service. You could start in Arlington and take the complete tour in about 3 -3 1/2 hours, see everything and get great pictures. Arlington is worth the tour alone.

If you park near the Arlington Mall there is a metro stop at the mall that will take you to the cemetery in about 5 minutes, then the tourmobile would do the rest.

I think it runs about $35 a person for an all day pass but it beats getting lost in DC driving around or walking long distances between places you would like to see. We even had trouble getting around on a Sunday when the traffic wasn't as bad.

If you want a quick meal, at the sculpture park near the art museums there is a very good place to get sandwichs, salads, healthy food. It is in the sculpture park so just go into the park and look for the building with lots of windows and seating outside and in.

It would be worth most of a day just to get to see all the highlights. I can't wait to go back.

NJGIRL
05-21-2010, 06:19 AM
I agree with Katzateer. DC is not a place you want to do alot of driving in. Plus to get a really go look a street view while trying to watch the traffic is not going to be a good idea. The tourmobile is an excellant way to do the town. Anyway, IMO DC is a place to at least take a long weekend to see. We have stayed a week before and still on scratched the surface of what it has to offer.

If you are only going to be there for a day either do the Tourmobile or park in one spot and walk.

magicofdisney
05-21-2010, 07:42 AM
We were in DC a couple of Christmas's ago. On Sunday morning we were practically the only ones at the Lincoln Memorial. The crowds didn't really pick up until after lunch. I highly recommend a Sunday tour in DC.