PDA

View Full Version : Agent Orange Benefits

wdwfansince75
05-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Just a request on behalf of those who served in Vietnam. Most were young, once, and got on with their lives when they returned. If they thought about benefits, it was to apply for a VA loan. Most were unaware of the possible results of their exposure to Agent Orange. Recently, a friend from church was diagnosed with Non-hodgkin's lymphoma. He and I had shared some "war stories", so I knew he had served in Vietnam in the 60's. I convinced him to start the process of applying for VA benefits, as the VA recognizes NHL, and other diseases, including Prostate Cancer, as the probable result of exposure to Agent Orange. He has been advised that he is eligible for disability for both the NHL and his diabetes.
Under the law, veterans who served in Vietnam between 1962 and 1975 (including those who visited Vietnam even briefly), and who have a disease that VA recognizes as being associated with Agent Orange, are presumed to have been exposed to Agent Orange. Note that they will soon add Parkinson's and Ischemic Heart disease to the list.
I know that there are many veterans, like my friend, who do not know of these benefits. If you know of someone in their 60's or above, who suffers from the illnesses on the list, ask if they served in Vietnam, and suggest they contact VA for possible benefits.
May I be so bold as to post the VA site with the list of diseases?
Remove it if it violates the TOS.
http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/diseases.asp#veterans

Jim&AngieMarriner
05-18-2010, 01:53 PM
Great info.

As a current Active Duty Army member, I know I would want to know things like this down the road. Thanks for sharing.

ozmom
05-18-2010, 02:12 PM
My husband did two tours in Vietnam. He was exposed to Agent Orange and had out of control diabetes. His average blood sugars were over 200. Due to the diabetes he had heart issues. He had heard about the VA benefits in 2002 and was approved for benefits and started receiving them approx Sept. 2002. He was considered 80%, he was working fulltime at the time, but due to the issue with Agent Orange did receive the benefit.

In March of 2003, he had a heart attack and did not survive. The doctors indicated that the heart muscle had been too badly injured from the out of control diabetes and could no longer pump as needed.

I was his 2nd wife and at the time our son was 16. The VA has been very good to us continuing to provide benefits including in the State of California if a dependent goes to a state school they can receive tuition waiver. My son graduated from UC San Diego, we were responsible for books, fees and housing. Also while in school he received Chapter 35, which assisted with his expenses, I believe the amount was around $800. per month. On top of that, there is a little known provision in the Social Security Admin. Upon my husband's death I began receiving SS benefits for my son until age 18. Prior to the 80's a dependents receiving social security would receive this benefit while going to school as a fulltime student until age 23. In the 80's this was changed to age 18. As my husband death was related to an issue that occured prior to this change my son was still eligible to receive these social security benefits while still a fulltime student until age 23 or college graduation. This is called REPS (Restored Entitlement Program for Survivors)

Thanks for getting out this information to others - as it is not well known. Thank you also for your service.

Also if anyone knows someone who has died from anything related to Vietnam, there is a special ceremony each year in April in Washington DC at the Wall to recognize those individuals.

pianobabe
05-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the post. My dad was "in the area" during the time period and is now Diabetic. I told him to check into it to see what happens.

Katzateer
05-19-2010, 10:55 PM
I used to work for the VA and we did Agent Orange survey/interviews to find out about exposure and problems to determine benefits that were allowed. It was interesting at the time but I am sure the long-term effects are just being realized. Some of the stories made my skin crawl - men being out in the middle of the fields with the chemicals being sprayed all around them. Scary stuff.......

Genie1953
05-20-2010, 12:40 AM
I am a long time VA employee (31+ years). Agent Orange exposure can leave devastating effects on the health. Every veteran who was exposed to Agent Orange should be evaluated to see if they have any Agent Orange related conditions. I have seen so many times where a veteran received a service connected rating for Agent Orange exposure and then as the Agent Orange effects began to take their toll the veteran was able to apply for an increase in the rating which then resulted in an increased service connected pension.