PDA

View Full Version : Nurse/teacher discount at dolphin

moe513
05-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Can anyone tell me about the room type + location you can get using the Nurse/teacher discount.

Mitzie
05-17-2010, 08:44 AM
We utilized the teacher discount while we were there in April. It was spring break for us. I had to call the number to get the rate quote. It was about 160.00 a night at that time. We had a wonderful view of the inside court yard/fountain. We could even see Epcot's fireworks from our window.

moe513
05-17-2010, 08:45 AM
Do the windows open in these rooms??

JROriole8Fan
05-17-2010, 11:17 AM
What other occupations get discounts? Why would Teachers and Nurses get a special discount?

Frog
05-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Educators and nurses do not get financially reimbursed as much as most professionals who spent the same amount of time in college preparing themselves in their carreer choices. Thus, because of their service and the lack of financial reinbursement for such, I guess disney decided to cut them a little slack?? I believe they do something similar for our armed forces at Shades of Green... I dont think the discount at either is really gargantuan, however...

Hammer
05-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Shades of Green is a different case. It is maintained by the a sub department at the Department of Defense (Mel, help me out, ithe name escapes me). There is also a resort for military in Hawaii. What active and retired military pay at Shades of Green is based on their rank.

The teacher/nurses discount is a business decision by Starwood corporation, which manages the Swan and Dolphin, and it has been around for quite a while.

JROriole8Fan
05-18-2010, 08:51 AM
So this special discount is Swan/Dolphin only and not Disney wide?

MidnTPK
05-18-2010, 09:06 AM
So this special discount is Swan/Dolphin only and not Disney wide?

Right. This is just a Swan/Dolphin thing. And The S/D is owned and managed by Starwood, not Disney.

Anyway, they have discounts for government workers, Starwood Preferred Guests, and Florida residents. And some other Disney fan websites have special rates too. It's all just marketing gimmicks. These are all just small discounts, and they're not always available.

If you click on the ad link at the top of this page, you'll see many of these deals.

Scar
05-18-2010, 09:22 AM
We utilized the teacher discount while we were there in April. It was spring break for us. I had to call the number to get the rate quote. It was about 160.00 a night at that time.I am niether a teacher nor a nurse, and I paid $149/night two weeks ago with a public discount.

Do the windows open in these rooms??No, but some rooms have balconies with sliding glass doors.

Hammer
05-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Moderator Alert!

Some of these posts are going off topic. The OP wanted to know what sort of room was available with the teacher/nurses discount so let's keep the thread on point.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-21-2010, 08:18 PM
A friend of mine has stayed at the Dolphin and is a Starwood member and has been upgraded to a balcony room. Just last month the S&D was offering a rate of $119 for when we'll be there in Aug.

mom2morgan
05-23-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm a Canadian teacher so I assume I wouldn't qualify, but I just wanted to say what a neat idea this is and how much I appreciate that hotel chain doing that! Every teacher I know spends tons of their own money on things for the students, so it is great to see that bit of acknowledgement :-)

MidnTPK
05-24-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm a Canadian teacher so I assume I wouldn't qualify, but I just wanted to say what a neat idea this is and how much I appreciate that hotel chain doing that! Every teacher I know spends tons of their own money on things for the students, so it is great to see that bit of acknowledgement :-)
Give them a call and ask. This is a marketing promo (to fill rooms) for them, not some contract where they have to abide by the letter of some agreement.