PDA

View Full Version : Acronym soup

Wadeace
05-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Dose anyone else feel like your starting to live in a world of acronym soup, I mean we here at intercot have acronyms that we use in our conversations, ds dh dd df dm dvc dcl dtd tot uoe….
Not to mention that at school we use acronyms for everything, pml spce isp sbe bts sp a p asp…
Also we have all sorts of product names we have to know, pm5d 2k 250w vl500 sd7 iddr us ds cs sl sr …

I feel like my conversations have resorted to just spouting out random numbers and letters, and didn’t know if anyone else felt this way? It just seams like we cant waste time on using the actual word and as such we shorten everything we can.

tazlikesrobots
05-17-2010, 09:27 AM
I agree! The english language as we know it may be evolving into a new language. I really wonder what textbooks will look like in 20 years....

Disney4us2
05-17-2010, 09:37 AM
There is also the whole medical aspect. COPD(chronic obstructice pulmonary disease), CABG(coronary artery bypass graft), IVF(in vitro fertilization), IUI(intra uterine insemination), etc. etc. This could go on and on.

SBETigg
05-17-2010, 09:45 AM
I don't use acronyms much here, actually (occasionally, but I usually type things out for the newer people who don't know our quick versions), and I don't find much occasion for them in real live conversation. I think people have resorted to using them more in text messages and online as time savers, and it's pretty sad when that catches on in real speech.

Not just acronyms, but shortened versions of words. Does it really take that long to type out "probably?" But I see "prolly" quite a bit instead, and I have actually heard some of the high schoolers using it as a word. That makes me groan. But I have accepted that the environment we live in, with people online and sending text messages, is going to have some effect on speech patterns. Just as our current speech patterns might sound a bit odd to people who lived in the 18th century.

Ed
05-17-2010, 10:30 AM
You think it's confusing here? Try working for the Federal government! :eek:

There are acronyms for virtually every department, program, job title, and piece of equipment!

diz_girl
05-17-2010, 10:56 AM
You think it's confusing here? Try working for the Federal government! :eek:

There are acronyms for virtually every department, program, job title, and piece of equipment!

I feel your pain. Just try working for the military.

Tink#64
05-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Well fast food caught on - so fast speech is "prolly" here to stay! (Altho I use "prob" rather than "prolly") The funny thing is, I'm realizing that in text messaging or "tm"-ing as "we" say, so many people "peeps" use their own shortened version of things, not always so easy to figure out. My DS14 has actually taught me alot, the kids only use abbreviations, & sometimes I think it's just so us parents don't know they are saying! "lol" :mickey:

But I must say, we do "tm" alot, both of my DS's have unlimted texting plans & so abbreviations are quite the time saver! Although, I don't always know what they are saying to me! lol :blush:

NewDVCowner
05-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Well fast food caught on - so fast speech is "prolly" here to stay! (Altho I use "prob" rather than "prolly") The funny thing is, I'm realizing that in text messaging or "tm"-ing as "we" say, so many people "peeps" use their own shortened version of things, not always so easy to figure out. My DS14 has actually taught me alot, the kids only use abbreviations, & sometimes I think it's just so us parents don't know they are saying! "lol" :mickey:

But I must say, we do "tm" alot, both of my DS's have unlimted texting plans & so abbreviations are quite the time saver! Although, I don't always know what they are saying to me! lol :blush:

Good grief. It took me much longer than I'd like to admit to figure out what a 'tm' was. :blush: