PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio

Pagan
05-16-2010, 09:21 PM
I know most on here won't know who he is or even care, but one of the greatest singers in rock & roll passed away this morning of stomach cancer at age 67.

Despite his advanced age, he still toured and performed like a man in his 20's, and his voice never once failed him.

He influenced a generation of rock musicians, myself included, and will be terribly missed by the rock community.

My favorite song he sang, "This Is Your Life"

Who cares what came before?
We were only starlight
One day, then nevermore
Because we're whispers in the wind

Once upon a time
The world was never blind like we are

Right now it seems
You're only dreams and shadows
If wishes could be eagles how you'd fly

This is your life
This is your time
What if the flame won't last forever?
This is your here
This is your now
Let it be magical

Who cares what came before?
We're only starlight
Once upon the time
All the world was blind like we are

This is your life
This is your time
Look at your world
This is your life

Look it up on youtube...truly beautiful.

R.I.P. Ronnie...

PirateLover
05-16-2010, 10:17 PM
My brother told me the news. Sad. R.I.P. Dio.

medic9016
05-17-2010, 08:50 AM
I remember when the Holy Diver video was too much for Mtv.

KylesMom
05-17-2010, 08:54 AM
I just read this on an internet news site - what a bummer. That man had the most incredible voice . . . :(

My favorite? Last in Line. I would have never guessed he was 67!

diz_girl
05-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Very sad. I saw him in either 2006 or 2005 at the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ. I forget who he was on the bill with. His voice was awesome. Other singers his age or younger have lost their singing capacity - Stills-done, Daltry-starting to fade, but Dio still had it in his sixties.

Ian
05-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah, sad stuff. Slowly but surely the icons of my youth are falling by the wayside.

He'll be missed for sure.

Pagan
05-17-2010, 12:37 PM
"Ronnie was not only an incredibly gifted singer but also a wonderfully warm, intelligent and generous person and this shone through both on and off stage leaving a positive mark on everyone he came into contact with. " ~ Iron Maiden press release.

"Ronnie was one of the kindest souls I have ever met and his talent was beyond inspirational to so many of us." ~ Nikki Sixx

"R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. I only got to meet him once and I can honestly say he was the nicest person I have ever met in music. Ronnie was a true gentleman, and obviously one of the best rock singers there will ever be. What a sad loss today." ~ Billy Corgan

"We mourn the tragic passing of the great Ronnie James Dio. In addition to his powerhouse vocal ability, Ronnie was a true gentleman who always emanated great warmth and friendship to us and everyone around him. We will miss him." ~ KISS press release.

"Ronnie was a wonderful man and will be sorely missed." ~ Judas Priest press release.

"Ronnie gave me wisdom, and showed me great compassion when he was in ELF, all those years ago, when we were on tour together in my time in DEEP PURPLE. He was a beautiful soul, kind, considerate and a wonderful teacher." ~ Glen Hughes

"We have lost a legend. A brilliant musician but way beyond that, and more importantly, one of the classiest nicest people you could ever hope to know." ~ Eddie Trunk

"The members of TWISTED SISTER, along with millions of metal fans around the world, mourn the death of our friend Ronnie James Dio. Ronnie not only was a giant in the worldwide metal scene, but he was also one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet." ~ Twisted Sister press release.

"As our tribute to the great man, we've revealed that the second stage at this year's Download Festival will official be called the Ronnie James Dio Stage." ~ Download Festival organizer Andy Copping.

RedSoxFan
05-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Very sad. He's from Cortland, NY which is 30 minutes from here. All over the local news.

Altair
05-17-2010, 02:32 PM
"Like a rainbow in the dark." :cry:

Pagan
05-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Celebrity deaths usually don't cause a stir in me, but this one hit home.

In 1975, I heard the album "Rainbow Rising" by Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, and it changed me forever. As I was just getting my musical career underway when I heard it, the influence that album had on me (particularly Ronnie's singing and sense of melody) is immeasurable.

Here was this diminutive singer, weaving tales of fantasy in his lyrics. He made me realize that music didn't have to be mindless pop, and could whisk you away to other worlds and times.

Ever since that day I've made it a point to write lyrics that take whoever is listening to the same places. Although I know I can never touch the master, it's made me a better musician and songwriter.

So long live rock & roll, and long live Ronnie James Dio.

edhunter28
08-08-2010, 01:29 PM
When i saw maiden in washington D.C last month, they dedicated the song Blood Brothers to the memory of DIO