PDA

View Full Version : Annual Pass not working

snowwhite1970
05-16-2010, 04:26 PM
We bought annual passes in April. We kept having to go to Guest Services to get new ones because the magnetic strip wouldn't work. It would work a couple times in FP machines and admission to parks, but then would stop working. Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions?

kakn7294
05-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Are you keeping it close to an electronic device, especially a cell phone? Sometimes the strips can be demagnetized by cell phones.

jmj18
05-16-2010, 04:56 PM
That happened to my MIL.....she had it next to her cell phone.....once she moved it away from the phone it was fine.

:mickey:

DisneyFan4Life
05-16-2010, 05:54 PM
I bought a plastic holder for my tickets. They have a neck band on them. Typically used at the water parks. I can not recall what they are called.

I have not had any more problems with my tickets since keeping them in this container. :)

You can usually purchase them at one of the Disney Resorts.

WDWdriver
05-16-2010, 05:57 PM
A cell phone can cause the problem. Also, I wouldn't keep the card in the same place as other cards with magnetic strips (credit cards, etc).

wdwnomad
05-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Another thing to keep in mind when getting a new pass at Guest Services is to make sure they activate it. Normally, when you go through the turnstles with your ticket it activates it for that day. If you go to Guest Servces during the day to get a ticket and they don't activate it it won't work in the FP machines. Guest Services is supposed to do this but they don't always. I would ask before I left just to be sure.

Also, if it stops working, alot of times the CM at the FP machines will push a button to spit a FP out. And, if you get a really good CM, they will give you a FP card for the day that you can use in the machines in place of the park ticket.

magicjasb
05-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Someone mentioned to me that they had a small pocketbook with a magnet that could have caused the problem.:mickey::mickey:

Lisaj13
05-17-2010, 01:58 PM
My youngest DD had a pass stop working twice. No magnets, no cell phone, we couldn't figure out what caused it. Disney was very nice and efficient about replacing it.

I told my daughter that it was her magnetic personality. :mickey:

KylesMom
05-17-2010, 02:17 PM
This happens to one of us in our family each trip - we're careful about where we keep our A/Ps, but I think we just wear them out with all of the FP'ing & Park Hopping we do! :mickey:

05-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Sometimes if you put multiple tickets together with the mag stripes touching, they will rub together and that will affect one or both of them. If they are in men's wallets, sometimes the movement or walking or sitting (up/down motion) will let the stripe rub against the leather and cause problems. Just a lot of things that will cause problems.

When I work turnstiles, a lot of times we can rub them vigorusly on our shirt and they will work and sometimes it just needs to be turned upside down in the slot and the other side reader will work. Just seems to be hit or miss.

Wish they would change to all bar code tickets and give us the newer turnstiles like they use in California and eliminate some of the "mechanical" issues that we have in Florida.

Daisy'sMom
05-17-2010, 07:09 PM
My purse with the magnetic snap was the problem. :mickey:

SurferStitch
05-18-2010, 08:12 AM
I had a problem with mine this past December. I only had the AP for a few days and it stopped working. My replacement has been good ever since. DH never had any problems with his.

I always keep my in it's little folder/booklet. I was surprised it got demagnetized despite that, but I think it was just a fluke.

I do make sure it never comes in contact with other cards or my phone. I've always wondered why they just give you a paper ticket for an AP, yet you get a hard card when it's combined with your room key. You would think an AP would be a hard card and not paper.

snowwhite1970
05-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks for your help!! Even when I put them in a pouch with no magnet, and no cell phone, it kept happening. I REALLY don't understand why the APs are paper instead of plastic. Never had a problem with the room key type!! I asked about getting plastic APs, but they said they don't have them.