PDA

View Full Version : Cab vs. ME

tdk316
05-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Why would you use a cab or transportation service vs. ME? I just can't seem to justify the cost even with the grocery stop 'cause it'd be cheaper to UPS myself a box of groceries than to pay for the cab. What am I missing?

vicster
05-14-2010, 04:06 PM
You're not missing anything. I've never taken an cab but I can't imagine the cost as it's quite a distance from the airport to WDW. We took a cab once from South Beach to Ft. Lauderdale to attend a Dolphins football game and the cab was $75.00 + tip. Would've almost been better off to rent a car for the day.

We always use ME - it's a comfortable ride and it's free.

Seasonscraps
05-14-2010, 04:14 PM
We actually found that renting a car is less expensive the taking car service to & from the aiport. Plus we have the added convenience of being able to drive to the parks or other resorts, get our own groceries and dine off site.

disneymom15
05-14-2010, 04:45 PM
I don't see the need to pay for a cab or car service. Before DME, we used car services. Some were good, some were not. All of them ranged in price from $100 to $110 plus tip. I'd much rather use the money elsewhere.

PetefromRI
05-14-2010, 08:28 PM
We take QS towncar service every now and then just from the airport to the resort.We only use carryons and when we land I like to get off the esculator and meet my driver and go right to the towncar and off we go.It's just my wife and I and we feel that it's just a little extra pampering to start our vacation.If I couldn't afford it then we wouldn't bother but we like to spoil ourselves now and then.I know that I'll be standing in lines all week so I like to start our trip without having to stand in one.

DizneyRox
05-14-2010, 09:40 PM
We always do car service, it's usually quicker as we're no waiting in lines to board a bus, possibly stopping at different resorts, etc.

I also like knowing I have my luggage with me, not hoping to see it in my room later in the day.

The grocery stop is a plus, getting things like milk, eggs, butter, bread, etc is nice. You can't ship that UPS.

CleveRocks
05-15-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm a big fan of DME.

But let me say this: DON'T choose a mode of transportation based upon speed of getting to your resort. They're all going to be about the same. The only way a car service or taxi will be substantially quicker than DME is if you are doing carry-on bags only; in this case, there is no doubt that the car service or taxi will be much faster. Conversely, DME will always be faster than a car service + grocery stop.

So with time out of the equation, you should choose your mode of transportation based on a combination of what level of service you want and how much you are willing to pay for it. Take PetefromRI's example (above) ... he and his wife really want the extra pampering that a car service provides, so I'm sure the cost is worth every penny to him. In my example, I don't care about the pampering, I just want to get there safely and in a reasonable amount of time, and that's why the free DME is great for me.

I take DME and I also arrange for a grocery delivery. That way, I spend zero time hunting around a strange grocery store, zero time away from my vacation. [I'm leaving for a non-Disney vacation in 8 days, and in fact my next task is to go to TripAdvisor.com and ask the local experts for that destination if there's a grocery delivery service in that area ... even though we're driving our own car, I STILL prefer a grocery delivery over stopping at the store myself.]

My final thought is that, if you decide not to use DME, let me suggest that you book a car service rather than take a taxi. For about the same cost, you'll get better service and probably a nicer vehicle if you pre-arrange for a car service.

LudwigVonDrake
05-15-2010, 02:56 PM
DME is the way to go for me.

Belster
05-15-2010, 06:15 PM
I never understood passing up DME either. We have never had a wait to get catch our bus. I love getting on DME the ambiance of the bus starts off my WDW vacation.

I also cannot justify spending money when a service is offered for free. :mickey:

HoosierDisneyFan
05-15-2010, 08:10 PM
We love DME and the Disney transporation system throughout the parks. People who prefer to rent a car like the flexibility to drive from resort to resort (without having to go to a parks first) and going "off World" for various items, visiting other Orlando theme parks (which if these items are important to your family, renting a car would be best). For our family we understand and use the Disney transportation. We plan like staying within WDW. Using DME and Disney transportation is one less thing to worry about in my option, like parking directions, traffic, getting lost, taking trams from parking lot to park, long walks for parking lot to parks, etc.

You will read people with bad experiences concerning luggage but this could (and likely is) an error of the airline and not DME. This could happen if you use DME or rent a car.

#1disneyfan
05-16-2010, 02:12 PM
We love DME also! I was so excited when WDW added that. We enjoy it because your vacation starts when we board that bus. Even our 14yr old still likes the movie on the way to the resort.

As far as stopping to get groceries, we used Garden Grocer and it worked out great! Our food was waiting there for us when we arrived.

Genie1953
05-16-2010, 04:10 PM
We love the entire Disney transportation system....ME, busses, boats, monorail, etc. We briefly entertained the thought of renting a car for one day to make a run to the grocery store but decided against it in favor of ordering from Garden Grocer. We are so glad we did that....our order was waiting for us when we checked it.....and we didn't have to worry about returning a car or anything. My husband loves that he does not have to drive anywhere when we are at Disney.

5MemphisTiggers
05-17-2010, 03:03 PM
My DW and I took a cab from the airport during out last trip, and I won't do that again. As others have said -- it's no faster, it's extra money, and in my mind it's just no fun.

Fun -- that's why I'm on vacation. I take enough cabs when I travel with work.

DME is quick. You might have to wait a few minutes to get on your bus and you may make a few extra stops before you get to your resort, but you'll be doing that for the rest of your trip! Might as well get a head start.

And I'm just goofy enough that the little video they show on the bus gets me in a good mood.
:mickey:

Jeri Lynn
05-17-2010, 05:01 PM
On our girls trip we have done both, taken the Magical Express and used a car service.

We don't mind spending the money for the car service and our last trip we only used it from the airport to the hotel, on the return trip to the airport we used ME. It is nice not to have to wait in line at the ME check-in counter, and then for the bus.

tdk316
05-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks for your comments, we'll continue to use ME. We normally collect the luggage from the airline ourselves and bring it with us onto the bus because of two awful experiences in the past, but that hasn't been too big of a deal for us. This year we were thinking about sending our luggage UPS but Delta is now going to allow us to check one bag per seat for free so that will actually be cheaper. We may be packing a bag of food and other items we normally ship and bring that down on the plane also due to the free bag allotment! :thumbsup:

DisneyorBust
05-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Another fan of DME here. We have used car services, rental vehicle and of course DME. I'll use DME every time, we have never done a grocery stop but if the decision to get groceries is ever made, I'll use a delivery service. Can't beat the cost savings and convenience of DME.

Ropachs
05-20-2010, 02:23 PM
We've had good luck with DME. Never have had to wait very long for the bus, free, and you get to watch the little Disney welcome video:cloud9:

bjb1124
05-23-2010, 09:24 AM
We took a car service since my 70+ yo father has a wheelchair. We weren't sure how DME would work with it, but after the other Disney transportation experiences, I don't know that we would pay the xtra money again.

My only thought is that on the way back to the airport at the end of the vacation, we don't have to leave as early by using a service.