PDA

View Full Version : Is 13 Months too young?

faberj
05-14-2010, 11:26 AM
My husband has a convention next March and our son will be 13 months old. Is that too young to take him to WDW?

Michelle15
05-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Not at all! :mickey: My DD will be 9 months old when we go in September. I just can not wait to go 127 days and counting:thumbsup:

Disney4us2
05-14-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't think so. I had DD at Disneyland at 3 months. Then when she was 15mos, I got my AP again. She LOVES Disney.

I would go and have a fun time. :mickey:

luvkatiebug
05-14-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't think there is any perfect age to go or not go. With each different age, there are great things and not-so-great things. With older kids they are more portable and less baggage like diapers and bottles and such, but mine will argue more now about what we are going to do next. With a 13 month old, they may stay in the stroller and ride alot. Just remember that you have to try and work with their schedule and you will be fine. The first time we took our daughter she was 3 and a half, and I was devastated when she wanted to leave the Magic Kingdom at 11 am to go swim in the pool!! You have to roll with the punches, and everything will be great. You are in the happiest place in the world, after all! :mickey:

mom2mickeyfan
05-14-2010, 12:10 PM
We took out DS when he was 15 months and had a great time. Just be sure to slow down and let them find their own enjoyment instead of what we believe they should be enjoying. I have great memories of our DS watching and "chasing" ducks outside of the baby care center in MK. That and him falling asleep while we were standing in line to see Mickey. We got cute pics of Mickey saying "shhhh". It is alot of work but I wouldn't take anything for that first trip to WDW with him!!

kakn7294
05-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Nope! We took our oldest DD when she was 13 mo old. Of course, she doesn't remember anything but she / we had a great time and Mommy and Daddy have some great memories.

Zippy 1
05-14-2010, 01:52 PM
A friend of mine has already taken her DD twice. She is just 2 and loves anything Disney. We are planning a trip together and she has told us we need to eat with the princesses and mickey. Hows that for a little Disney planner in the making!!:mickey:

Rekenna
05-14-2010, 02:06 PM
No.:mickey:

Queenbee2
05-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Your never too old or too young for disney!

I remember taking my four year old and two year old and some crabby old woman walked up to us and told us that our kids were too young for Disney.
I so wanted to say that she was too old !
Even though I don't really think that. But what nerve she had. LOL

tdk316
05-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Nope! We took DS1 at 2.5 years while DS2 was only 5 months! Both of them loved it, although DS2 did sleep through most of the parks... ;)

Just be prepared to take A TON of breaks and to leave for naps and early for bedtime. We found that if we stuck to the same schedule they have at home it worked out pretty well. It was a lot of fun with the kids, so much so that we decided to take them again this October! :mickey:

Goofy Pluto
05-14-2010, 03:33 PM
OK, I'm going to be the somewhat dissenter here.

We took our daughter when she was 16 months old. It was just myself, her, and my wife. And it was hard.

First, she was very young and needed breaks and naps. (Not to mention feedings and changing.)

Second, because she was so young there were a lot of rides she could not go on. Which meant that there were a lot of times that my wife and I had to ride by ourselves and take turns.

Third, a great number of rides we did take her on she got scared. And even the ones she didn’t get scared on, she had no idea what was going on.

Now, granted, we were only there for like three nights and didn’t really try to kill ourselves getting to everything. We enjoyed ourselves at some level and the main reason we even went at that time was because we just returned from a cruise and my birthday happened to fall right after the cruise and I wanted a chance to spend my birthday at the Magic Kingdom (the only chance in my life that I’ll probably get to do that). But honestly, if I had to do it over again, I probably would not. A child that young really gets nothing out of it and it was really hard on us not being able to do thing together.

Just my honest two cents.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-14-2010, 10:18 PM
My nephew was 7.5 weeks (yes weeks!) when he went. No, he doesn't remember it but he was fine. He'd nap in the stroller so he was fine. Just make sure to keep the little one hydrated.

Lakin
05-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Nope. I believe it's okay to take them at pretty much any age. My mom took me when I was 18 months old and she said I was fine. Just make sure to get lots of pictures!!!

pokci
05-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Yes. The little one will not remember the trip, but you will. So the memories are for you. Also, the characters are HUGE to little ones when they get up close and personal and I've seen plenty of little ones freak as Pooh was coming by or Mickey was leaning down to say hello. As a PP stated, most of the rides will be off limits and while the baby can rest or sleep in a stroller, there are noise levels to consider, crowds and heat to consider and so on. And if the baby is sleeping, then it doesn't matter where the trip is. Obviously, plenty of people take babies and have had very POSITIVE experiences but think about who you're doing it for. :)

kakn7294
05-15-2010, 05:08 PM
OK, I'm going to be the somewhat dissenter here.

We took our daughter when she was 16 months old. It was just myself, her, and my wife. And it was hard.

First, she was very young and needed breaks and naps. (Not to mention feedings and changing.)

Second, because she was so young there were a lot of rides she could not go on. Which meant that there were a lot of times that my wife and I had to ride by ourselves and take turns.

Third, a great number of rides we did take her on she got scared. And even the ones she didn’t get scared on, she had no idea what was going on.

Now, granted, we were only there for like three nights and didn’t really try to kill ourselves getting to everything. We enjoyed ourselves at some level and the main reason we even went at that time was because we just returned from a cruise and my birthday happened to fall right after the cruise and I wanted a chance to spend my birthday at the Magic Kingdom (the only chance in my life that I’ll probably get to do that). But honestly, if I had to do it over again, I probably would not. A child that young really gets nothing out of it and it was really hard on us not being able to do thing together.

Just my honest two cents.I guess it depends on what you expect of your trip and how flexible you and your child are too. We knew it wasn't going to be like any of our previous trips so we took our time and did the things she was able to do. We never took breaks, just letting her nap in her stroller and those were the times that the adults split up and did the things she couldn't - we used baby swap to save a great deal of time waiting in line. It's a totally different experience at Disney with a child in tow and we're glad we had the opportunity to experience that magic with our daughter.

faberj
05-17-2010, 09:14 AM
I guess it depends on what you expect of your trip and how flexible you and your child are too. We knew it wasn't going to be like any of our previous trips so we took our time and did the things she was able to do. We never took breaks, just letting her nap in her stroller and those were the times that the adults split up and did the things she couldn't - we used baby swap to save a great deal of time waiting in line. It's a totally different experience at Disney with a child in tow and we're glad we had the opportunity to experience that magic with our daughter.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I am well aware that it will be a very different trip having a baby with us. Like I said, my DH will be down there for a convention for work. We are going along as the hotel and such is paid for by his work. We will be staying on Disney property so we can come and go to the parks easily. DS is just over 3 months old now, and is a pretty laid back baby. Noise doesn't bother him at all! I can run the vacuum right next to him while he is sleeping and he doesn't even move. I realize this could change as he gets older. He loves to people watch too! My sister (DS's auntie) is planning on coming with us so I would have another set of hands to help out since daddy will be tied up most days with his convention. I really don't have any expectations. I was thinking of books a few character meals (if the characters scare him at the first one, I will cancel the others). If he doesn't like the rides, there is still plently of things we can do and see.

RobinRocksDisney
05-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Just my honest opinion also, but we were there a few weeks ago and everytime I saw a person with a baby, I was like "why???" So much work, so much baggage, etc.

BUT its your trip so do what works for you. Personally, I am so glad we waited until our kids were 6, 9, and 11.

However, you can do what I've read alot of people do...pick out a spot at the parks and take the baby's picture and every time you go back, go back to that spot and take a pic. Pretty cool momento idea!

AmandaChan
05-18-2010, 09:52 AM
I had made a post about this not too long ago. I have a 3.5 week old and we were thinking about taking him for his first birthday. The way I look at it is we have been so many times by ourself and have spent plenty of days alone and have done EVERYTHING there is probably to do.. we don't have to do everything again. We know we won't get to. And of course they won't remember but that's not the point. They will have enjoyment and that will contribute to their personality and they will (hopefully) have a great time looking at things and being with mommy and daddy. I just wish we could take our inlaws or something so me and the DH could ride a few rides together here and there. The only thing I wonder is with some of the smaller rides like pooh and snow white, can they go on those when they're that little?? I figure we could maybe try to ride SOMETHING with him... Or great movie ride (if he's sleepin or something)... etc.

Yeah it's a lot of baggage and what not but a lot of people say Disney makes it somewhat easy for you. There are nursing and baby care stations..

If our baby is laid back child at that age I think we will probably go. But if he is crazy in public all the time then we probably won't.

I'm also kind of worried about them getting too hot and dehydrated. That will be a concern.