PDA

View Full Version : All alone in the Parks!

maleficant mommy
05-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Recently went on business trip with husband in Orlando, only had one day to spend at WDW.
Ended up going by myself, and had the best day ever. :malef:

Does anyone else have a better time by themselves, sometimes? :vacation:

Itchy
05-13-2010, 07:05 PM
At least there is no arguments about what to do first or where to go.

Sounds nice.:thumbsup:

Daisy'sMom
05-13-2010, 07:07 PM
When my boys were teens I would end up going to Epcot by myself while DH would take them elsewhere. I loved it. I noticed things I never noticed before.:mickey:

SandmanGStefani24
05-14-2010, 08:44 PM
ive had company, and gone solo. i have had a blast both ways, but something about a solo trip is amazing. nothing like riding what you want, when you want, as many times as you want...eating what and when you want, and spending as much time at one place as you want. while eating a meal alone can sometimes not be as nice, solo trips are still awesome. something about WDW makes any trip amazing...

wonder what it is...:pixie:

LudwigVonDrake
05-14-2010, 09:44 PM
I have solo trips and really had a great time. You make the schedule and no one can argue with you :D

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-14-2010, 10:12 PM
I've only had small periods of time here and there by myself but sometimes it's nice to just walk around alone.

AJ Springfield
05-14-2010, 10:26 PM
I can't imagine going solo-- I am a HUGE wimp and will skip a meal rather than eat a meal alone...but I admire your independence and am happy that you had a great time!!!

kemps@wdw
05-14-2010, 10:38 PM
I can see me doin WDW solo, and havin a GREAT time!

Mousemates
05-14-2010, 10:54 PM
solo time is okay for an evening...but so much of disney (to me) is enhanced greatly by spending your time there with people who are special to you.

Fastpasssteve
05-15-2010, 02:00 AM
I had an entire afternoon alone in DTD. The others pooped out after breakfast at 1900 Park Fare and a couple of rides (losers). So, they went back to catch up on sleep and I went on more rides in MK and then went to DTD shopping. It's amazing how quickly I could move and did some serious damage at World of Disney...not to mention Ghirardelli's!

DisneyFr33k
05-15-2010, 05:40 AM
solo time is okay for an evening...but so much of disney (to me) is enhanced greatly by spending your time there with people who are special to you.

That's what I'm thinking too. It kind of depresses me thinking about walking around Disney alone. So many of my warm, loving memories are experiencing the magic with the people I love the most. But, I've never tried solo, so I can't say for sure!

crltkcagle
05-15-2010, 09:09 AM
I would love to have some alone time in World Showcase in Epcot. I would take time to see everything and not have deal with mom this is boring!

ryca1dreams
05-15-2010, 09:20 AM
I've been twice by myself (work). I never went to the parks, but spent time riding busses/monorails/boats, visiting resorts, talking to people on vacation, DTD, etc. My favorite thing was just sitting on the beach at Poly watching Electrical Water Pageant and Wishes - something the family wouldn't do (although I prefer being there with the family).

finaldynasty
05-15-2010, 09:23 AM
I would appreciate not having to make multiple bathroom breaks or havint lagging children or grandparents, but I guess the beauty of that is that i need to relax cause i'm at WDW

Rekenna
05-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Wow, good post. I haven't tried it, but I think it would be nice to have a short trip, maybe 2 days-alone. Like others have said, you can do/see/eat/ride what you want. Go to the bathroom when I want, spend as much time in the shops as I want.

I really enjoy going to the movies by myself. It bothered me at first, but then I realized how awesome it was!

I enjoy going with my DH and the boys, but if I had the opportunity that would be a nice trip!

Ahh, I can only dream....:mickey:

thejens
05-15-2010, 05:40 PM
I'd like to try just one afternoon in Epcot without kids....

MIKESMOM
05-16-2010, 06:10 AM
On my last trip in February I had an entire day to myself. It was fantastic! I don't think I would want to do an entire vacation on my own, but a day or two with only me to make happy....Ahh now that cound be very relaxing. :mickey:

MickeyLa
05-16-2010, 11:41 AM
I absolutely love to "share" WDW with my family, especially my kids. To see it through their eyes is so special to me. But I had a chance to spend the day at DHS by myself two years ago. It ranks very high on my list of best memories at WDW ever! Just doing what I wanted, when I wanted was such a great feeling!

LauraByTheSea
05-16-2010, 12:32 PM
I can't imagine going solo-- I am a HUGE wimp and will skip a meal rather than eat a meal alone...but I admire your independence and am happy that you had a great time!!!

Me too! Just can't do it. I can't even go to the grocery store alone. I think, though, that if I were by myslef for a minute or two, like while DH is taking a potty break :) I may take the time to soak in my surroundings more...

Cookie123
05-16-2010, 02:51 PM
This December will be my 12th annual solo WDW vacation. I don't have any children, so that probably
influences how I do in the park totally by myself. I am old enough to have grandchildren, but of course, don't have them.

Although I would like to have my DH in the parks with me, experience has taught me that he is a non stop complainer.

Soooo ...... I have learned that it is possible to have a totally AWESOME time
in the parks by myself !!
Although I do miss my Husband, I have frequent contact with him via my cell phone without all the "stress" of a vacation together.

Each year, this vacation gets better and better.

I eat in all the places that I want to, and do all the things that I want to.

I've done parasailing, and as soon as I was done, I called my Husband to thank him for his Christmas present of parasailing to me.

My vacation is usually 7 or 8 nights.

I feel like I've taken a negative situation
(vacationing together)
and turned it into a positive thing. I'm happier doing my vacation at WDW, and my DH is happier staying home with our two cats.

CaptainSad
05-17-2010, 09:51 AM
I went solo in December 2007 for 10 days. It was the first time I did not have my DW and DD's & DS with me. No I am happily married. We had a big family reunion trip planned in Virginia in July that had 32 people going. I could not go because I had to stay behind for my parents who got very sick. Luckily they are OK today. The trade off was I got to go to WDW.
I found that going by myself had real big benefits. First, I was able to do anything I wanted. I had my own schedule that I could do. I didn't have to wait on my family to get going. I was at the park when they dropped the rope so to speak. I could get in line for single riders.
The only down side was, no one to talk to. But I made up for that by talking with CM's and meeting new people.
You can have a real good time if your willing to plan your trip ahead of time. I hit the ground running and had the time of my life during the Christmas season at WDW.

Granny Jill A
05-17-2010, 02:41 PM
I enjoy certain aspects of a solo trip. Being able to change one's mind without consulting with the whole crew is Number One benefit.

The downside is having no one to share the experience with.... I had to phone home and talk about my day with loved ones. I really missed having a companion at meals.

That said, everyone should try a solo trip at least once.

renecat
05-17-2010, 03:09 PM
I think you would like doing this if you always have brought children with you. I've been lucky enough to get to do both I've taken my grandkids and went with my DH. Gone with my sister. Gone with another couple and gone with just my DH. This year it's four of us girls. Going with someone that has never been so I think I'm looking forward to this trip the most.
Can't wait to see her face when she takes it all in. Part of the enjoyment for me is the people with me and watching them .

madhatterrules
05-17-2010, 03:30 PM
I would love it! Doing whatever you wanted to do, single rider lines with no wait, eat when & where you want to. Even if it's just a day...sounds good.

P.S. I love family time too:thumbsup:

Jll3Sonex
05-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Last July we went to EMHs at the MK and DHS - DW and DS flaked out early at the MK and went other directions at DHS. I enjoyed just taking my time going through the various sections as the crowds emptied out, in the cool of the evening. Took a lot of time-exposure pics in Tomorrowland and in DHS - I love the way they light both places up.

But that said... it didn't feel as 'good' without them, and I'm not likely to take a whole vacation (or even a day or two) down at WDW without them.

divacat80
05-18-2010, 12:03 PM
i haven't been completely alone to WDW but I've visited the parks by myself once and i had a blast!!!!
you get to wait less in queues, do whatever you want whenever you want without having anyone wanting to do something else
chat with people, chat with the cast members...
if i got to go by myself again i would spend some money in activities that would be too expensive for our whole family to do together such as Cirque du Soleil La Nouba, and stuff like that... maybe spa treatments would be cool

whatever you do treat yourself! :D

wdw dude
05-18-2010, 03:41 PM
I hate to say it, but some of the times at Epcot that I enjoyed the most were when I was by myself. :blush:

:mickey:

magicalmom
05-18-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm not allowed (medically) to do any ride that pulls more than one "G", so that lets out most coasters. So, our traditions is: we go early to the MK. DH and DDsx2 go to Splash Mt/BTRR while I get them fast passes to Space Mtn, and then ride TTA 3 or 4 times. At that early hour, the CMs usually just let me stay on. Seriously mellow!

The other things I do while waiting for the rest of the family are: listen to the Dapper Dans, or other musical performances, and major people watching.

I cherish my alone time. I've never tried a whole trip, though.

tmz814
05-19-2010, 12:32 AM
I love going to Disney by myself. I'm an only child and have no problem doing things on my own. I find that I get a lot more done because I can move at my own pace. I can go on rides more than once if I want to and don't have to worry about what someone else wants to do. I'm going back next week for 4 days by myself and can't wait. :-)

SoaringEpcot
05-20-2010, 10:26 AM
This September will be my first solo time. DW will be at a conference at Bonnet Creek Hilton all week. I am looking forward to it, but I will also miss my DW and family not being in the parks with me. A coworker said he would go too, but I think he was kidding.

WDW*Dreamer
05-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Last weekend I was in the Orlando area on business, so I stayed at Disney and spent 2 days in the parks without the family. It was different, but certianly had it's advantages. I love to wander slowly through World Showcase. This time I could do that without feeling like I was holding the family back from their thrill-seeking. Also, I had more opportunity to explore the counter service restaurants. I would highly reccomend the counter service in Morocco, Germany, and Norway!!! The bottom line is, it's ALL GOOD at Disney!

WDW*Dreamer

mermaidmarian
05-20-2010, 11:44 AM
It is hard for me to imagine an entirely solo trip, as DH and DS are as into Disney as I am. Further, at least half of our trips to WDW include extended family members, so that is part of our "Disney thing". That said, I think I would really enjoy one day "on my own". As others have said, being at WDW with others (spouse, children or friends) usually involves compromise or deferrment to the group plan. I miss out on things that I would like to explore but that are of little/no interest to the rest of my party. It sounds like fun. Maybe one time I will build that into the vacation.

ransam
05-21-2010, 11:42 AM
i know what you mean. there was one day it was raining and no one wanted to go so i got up and went anyway. It cleared up and i had the best time. And there have been other days where we've seperated for a couple to a few hours and i love going at my own pace... not sure i'd want to do it for an extended time, but i may find out soon. next september the girl i was going w/ had an accident, not serious, and won't be able to go. so i may just go alone for a week. i am kind of looking forward to just doing it at my pace.