PDA

View Full Version : Food Allergy Question

jennsky
05-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Hi guys,

Just wondering about when you make a reservation online, can you mention if someone in your party has a food allergy? My 1 year old seems to be allergic to sweet potatoes. Any time he has the slightest bit of sweet potatoes, he is violently ill the rest of the day. I would REALLY like to take the family to Cinderella's Castle for a meal, but after looking at the menus online, it seems lunch and dinner they serve Sweet Potato chips. So, I'm thinking Breakfast would be the best bet....but obviously there is still the potential for sweet potatoes to end up in the other food. They also appear to serve Potato Casserole at breakfast time which obviously we'll steer clear from too. I'm just new to the whole food allergy world and not sure what to do. Any one have some advice for me? Should I just avoid Cinderella's Castle all together for mealtime?

TheDuckRocks
05-12-2010, 10:31 AM
WDW is great with dealing with food allergies. Mention it when making your ADRs. Also check out the Disney website, they have info there. Also most servers will ask you if anyone has any. Very often a chef will come out to the table to discuss with you the problem you face and help you with getting something without the items to which you are allergic.

SurferStitch
05-12-2010, 12:52 PM
We saw the chef at 'Ohana come out to speak to a family about a food allergy at breakfast last week. The one boy in the family had the allergy, and the chef made it a lot of fun for him to choose exactly what he wanted. She was so friendly, and made sure he had total say in what he liked and disliked. You could see it made him and his parents very happy.

She also assured the parents that his food would be made in an area that had no contact with any of the items he was allergic to.

momef3grls
05-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Disney chef's are the best when it comes to this. I have an allergy to rosemary ( I know weird) and have to be very careful because you can't always see it. Every meal a chef came out and talked to me about what is ok and what is not, at the buffet the chef walked the entire buffet with me. They are some of the most talented and friendly people. I can't praise them enough with how they take the time with guests.

Gusgus
05-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Ditto. I am allergic to certain nuts. They need to make sure when they cook they use clean utensils. Everytime regardless of the restraunt the chef has come out and talked to me. No need to worry.

Gusgus

Skippy
05-13-2010, 06:22 AM
Once you have dining reservations, send an email to [email protected] with the ADR number, and location. They'll get back in touch with you to fill out a questionnaire and they will note it on your reservation.

WDW's website with more information is http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/

Also - for the nut allergies out there, I received this bit of info that I wouldn't have thought about: "At Disney's Animal Kingdom, our Animal Programs keepers roam the Park throughout the day and at any given time could have nuts in their pocket to use for demonstration and educational purposes while handling birds. Birds are located in just about every area of the Park. Be mindful that these keepers would have nut oil on their hands and remnants in their clothing. "

DisneyDoug2
05-13-2010, 08:54 AM
My wife and daugher have a shellfish allergy, we have never entered it onto our ADRs but we tell the server about it, 95% of time the chief comes to the table to discuss the menu items that could touch shellfish and what is safe. At Teppen Edo's they alway's cook my wife's and daughter's food first to ensure no cross contaimination.

websitekid
05-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Even if you can't figure anything out online, the Cast is super accepting to food allergies. Often if you mention to a waitress when you enter a restaurant the chef will come out and tell you exactly what your child can and can not have. If your child wants something the chef will most likely make it specifically for your son or daughter. Have fun!