PDA

View Full Version : Shopping in NYC

Nini
05-11-2010, 12:27 AM
We're going back to Manhattan next month - going to see a Yankee game and one of Conan's shows. :D

I'd like to spend an afternoon exploring one of the neighborhoods that might have some good artisans. I'm hoping for some that are not outrageously expensive. I especially like glass and jewelry. I'd like to know if any one knows of a good area.

Thanks!
Denise

NJGIRL
05-14-2010, 06:23 AM
Bumping this up. Anyone out their have any experience in shopping in NYC?

Scar
05-14-2010, 07:56 AM
NYC has a "Diamond District" at West 47th St.

I hate jeweley and don't really know what an artisan is so sorry, can't help you any more than that.

VWL Mom
05-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Soho may interest you and be something to look into. There is a website especially for that area named SohoNYC.

There used to be some galleries at South Street Seaport but I haven't been for a while and am not sure what is still there. You could probably google it and find a map.

Nini
05-16-2010, 10:51 PM
NJGIRL - thanks for the bump!

VWL Mom - thanks, I have been to that site. I'll check it again, but I don't think it had enough info that I was looking for.

Also, I read recently that Soho is becoming too expensive, and that Tribeca is up and coming. Any thoughts?

Thanks!! :number1:
Denise

Nini
05-20-2010, 05:41 AM
Oh to heck with it! Everything looks way expensive - we're just going to hit the Disney Store!! :shop:

Denise :mickey:

Mfarquar
05-20-2010, 07:47 AM
I agree, as someone from the area... it's going to be a real challenge to find anything by artists that isn't super pricey. Basically, as an artist, you have to charge an arm and a leg to cut it in NYC (otherwise no way to pay the rent or keep up with what's trendy haha). If you find any cheap glass or jewelry it will probably either be from a chain store or from a vendor - either way probably made in China.

The Diamond District is awesome to check out though. Also, you may want to go online to find sample sales - that can be a great way to get designer stuff (including jewelry) SUPER cheap. Do a search for Top Button and Daily Candy.

princessgirls
05-20-2010, 11:06 AM
There are so many aspects of NYC!!! Wowza!!!

Even if you keep to the midtown area (times square area) there are a lot of unique shops and street vendors. I just spent Saturday tooling around in Midtown with my girls.

My recommendation would be to do the Grey Line Bus tour for a day, and check out many different aspects of the city. It runs all day, and you get on and off and various stops.

We did the tour bus route in Washington, DC and found it to be a great way to tour the city, and also a nice way to take a rest and still see some sights when we were tired.

You can even stop by the TKTS booth in the middle of Times Square and check out what Broadway Shows have sent down tickets to sell. There are usually some good ones. I have seen Mary Poppins, Rock of Ages, Billy Elliot all on the board. They sell the tickets for 40%/50% off.

Yankee Stadium is a great place too. Go early and check out Monument park. There are also some good eateries in the park, if you come early or decide to stay late.
Enjoy! NYC is a fun place to visit!!
Julie:mickey: