PDA

View Full Version : WDW solo?

McLiberal8
05-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Hi intercotees!

I really, really want to go to WDW this year. Only problem is - I can't seem to find anyone who wants to go! My friends and family are all busy.

So - my question is - has anyone ENJOYED a solo vacation to WDW? I can see that it wouldn't be as fun, getting off an attraction or a great dining experience and no one to talk about it, with. But has anyone enjoyed it by themselves? I would love the independence and freedom to take my camera everywhere and stop and take pics, come and go as I please, etc..
What do you think?

dobby2010
05-10-2010, 02:25 PM
I havent done Disney solo, but I did do a month long European tour by myself and it was so nice to just do whatever I wanted, when I wanted and not have to cater to anyone else. I'd say go for it, it'll at least be easier to use the single rider lines.

jlmct52
05-10-2010, 02:42 PM
I took a solo 7-day trip to Walt Disney World in 2005 and absolutely loved it.

I was able to take my time and enjoy everything at my own pace, whether it was the rides, photographs or just exploring every nook and cranny of this wonderful place. I was able to peruse and enjoy all WDW as never before, but especially World Showcase.

I decided going in I was not going to let being solo dampen my trip in any way....and it didn't. I was even able to meet new friends along the way. Also, I made my ADR's just as I would have normally and not only enjoyed the relaxing and peaceful meals, but also enjoyed light conversation with other diners from time to time.

All in all, while being with friends and family is always more enjoyable, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Scar
05-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Go for it! I just got back from a (mostly) solo trip. I suggest finding a restaurant where there is a bar you can eat at, talk to the bartenders and people sitting next to you.

The only thing that went wrong was I had hoped to relax, but ended up walking more than usual. My legs are pretty sore. ;)

McLiberal8
05-10-2010, 03:28 PM
I suggest finding a restaurant where there is a bar you can eat at, talk to the bartenders and people sitting next to you.
That's a good idea! Any places this idea worked, more than others? Any resturaunts have extra-chatty bartenders? :)

vicster
05-10-2010, 04:07 PM
That's a good idea! Any places this idea worked, more than others? Any resturaunts have extra-chatty bartenders? :)

50s Prime Time has chatty bartenders and also the pool bars. Met a lot of nice people and bartenders at the pool bar. Especially enjoyed talking to the guests from England!

2Epcot
05-10-2010, 04:50 PM
I've done solo trips, trips with friends, and trips with family. I always have a good time at WDW no matter who is with me. :mickey:

Scar
05-10-2010, 08:22 PM
That's a good idea! Any places this idea worked, more than others? Any resturaunts have extra-chatty bartenders? :)I started this thread (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=162867) last year that might help. As far as extra-chatty bartenders, I think it's the luck of the draw. The main thing is how busy it is. It's a trade off. When it's slow the bartenders will talk as long as you want to. When it's busy, the bartenders can't talk as much but there is usually someone next to you who will.

mdricks
05-11-2010, 11:35 AM
solo trips are the bomb. The ability to slow down and enjoy is second to none. good "lonely" spots if you start missing company are the rose and crown and biergarten.

I've met tons of people just sitting at R&C drinking a black and tan. I wish I had a dollar for every jelous husband that asked me how I convinced my wife to let me go alone!

Fastpasssteve
05-12-2010, 12:14 AM
A couple years ago, when my travel companions were either dealing with a drama at home over the phone or back in the room with a stomachache, I visited Jellyrolls on the Boardwalk. I had a great time. The whole place is an interactive musical party. I sat in the midst of several groups and we all got along great, singing along, suggesting songs, buying drinks. It was great fun. This would be a great place to go alone or in a group!

I hope you have a great time! Alone or in a group, I would still get goosebumps when walking up Main Street towards the castle!

You might consider keeping a journal while you're there...a few notes at night before you pass out. That way you could share your trip with others when you return...or possibly blog.

Euby
05-12-2010, 01:29 AM
I've gone to WDW and DL solo. You can stop and interact with the park more. By that I mean you can pay more attention to the things that most don't even notice because they are too busy wrangling the little ones.

I did character meals alone and the characters were great. We had "conversations" about what they did at Mickey's birthday party. Turns out Goofy is quite the dancer.

It all really boils down to your own attitude... "Poor me":pout: vs "Yeah me" :woohoo:

goofygirl67
05-13-2010, 08:49 PM
I am currently in WDW all alone. I go all the time alone. In fact the 2 times I went with family I had a miserable time, both were Disney haters. I enjoy doing what I want as many times as I want. Eating alone does not bother me so much since I really don't make ADRs. I do love going alone all the time and will not change that.

DonLefNY
05-13-2010, 08:59 PM
I've done two solo WDW stays. I've also had two trips where I arrived earlier or left after my wife. It makes it easy for me to take a day at the Kennedy Space Center. My wife does not care for KSC. Other times I've been known to spend a day on my balcony at OKW just reading a book. I love big thick history books and there is no better place to read them. Well, sometimes at the pool with a beer is a nice reading place too. In the parks I like to just sit with a soft drink or beer and just people watch for hours. :beer: My wife is a more "let's keep moving" type of person.

I'm going to have to try the Rose & Crown now that mdricks mentioned that.

pokci
05-15-2010, 01:54 PM
My first solo was last year and I loved it so much that I'm going back right after Thanksgiving this year and plan to get away solo once a year!:thumbsup: I did table service each day and was fine. Brought a book just in case but actually found it quite interesting to people watch. At Le Cellier I observed a ballet -there was a pattern to the way the servers move and it was something I had not noticed when dining with others. It was amazing to see how efficiently things operated. At Beirgarten I was seated with a lovely couple who come once a week for dinner, and a family out of town. At the CP I wound up in the middle of a very elderly couple who "adopted" me in line! :D At Coral Reef I was seated next to the fish tank and got to watch fish without interruption. Mama Melrose was a joy since the server didn't have to worry about me or rush and we ended up having a lovely conversation.

I got up and went or didn't, I came back and swam, or didn't, I repeated things I love, and skipped things I don't and didn't have to wait for anyone or do something I didn't want to do or deal with any drama! ;)

Go For it! I can't wait to go back this fall!:cloud9:

SandmanGStefani24
05-15-2010, 07:58 PM
solo trips are awesome!

i have done 2, and they are just as awesome as going with people. the only major drawback is dining, but cell phones usually solve that dead time when waiting for your meal to arrive. aside from that it's great. go when you want, leave when you want. sleep in? go for it! long shower, or ride something several times in a row? it's all you. it's a little selfish in a way, but its in a good way...
you also tend to cover much more ground going solo, so you always seem to have more time than you figured you would also.

the tip about the bar is also an excellent one i discovered by accident. i sat at ASMusics poolside bar to grab a drink before bed, and ended up meeting several people my age who were very glad to talk and converse with you. solo travelers also benefit from WDWs welcoming atmosphere. random people are very eager to chat with you, and you will often be approached in lines, at the resorts, and at the bar. wdw folks are great, aren't they? :cool:

McLiberal8
05-15-2010, 09:35 PM
They are!
Thanks for everyone who posted on here - I have decided this will definitely be a great trip!
I can't wait to take pictures (I just got a fancy new camera) and go at my own pace.
September 9 - 14, WDW, here I come!