PDA

View Full Version : Resort specific merchandise

luv_cinderella
05-09-2010, 04:44 PM
I saw it posted on here earlier that WDW is doing away with resort specific merchandise. Can anyone verify if this is true? Will I really no longer be able to get a t-shirt, mug, ornament, etc. with the resort name/logo???

Anyone with info,it would be appreciated. :mickey:

DizneyRox
05-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Not ALL resort specific items, yet... But the vast majority of merchandise on property is generic. "Disney Parks" will be the death of merchandise. I don't want something generic, I want something to signify where I actually was.

Ornaments, magnets, they type of stuff will probably always be around, but don't quote me on that. Once they figure they can save 1/2 cent on a magnet, Disney will trample someone to do it!

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Over our last couple of trips we've noticed a lot less resort-specific merchandise. During our last visit, it was hard to find POFQ clothes, and what they did have was on-sale and limited in size-choices.

So, although I don't know if there has been an "official" annoucement, but for us, it has been harder and harder to find resort-specific stuff.

faline
05-09-2010, 05:41 PM
That's really too bad. A few years ago, we went to Disneyland. While there, we spent a day at Universal Studios. We could not find one item there that identified that we were at Universal in California. Therefore, we bought nothing.

luv_cinderella
05-09-2010, 06:50 PM
It's just disappointing. Already, the "Disney Parks" stuff is a bummer - I want it to say WALT DISNEY WORLD!!! They took away the resorts refillable mugs to just one general mug... PLEASE keep the other resort items!!

If they DO take the stuff away...what's the point of staying on property? They'll be making it more and more generic. :(

mickeys_princess_mom
05-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I don't like this either! Just got back from CBR. Bought a CBR tee for $8.99--clearance--only had three left! Had a couple of mousepads, and that was it! Very disappointing. Hope I can scoop up something Polynesian in a few weeks!

Ropachs
05-10-2010, 07:33 PM
What a bummer, glad I got what I got when I did!

DisneyDoug2
05-11-2010, 12:44 PM
We have not been able to find resort clothing for the last two trips to Disney, maybe once the economy picks up it will return.

Davy Crockett
05-14-2010, 01:31 PM
It may be that our last 3 trips and the upcoming one we've always stayed at the WL, but at their mercantile there is plenty of resort specific merchandise??? I always come home with one or two T's.
8 DAYS AND COUNTING AND WE'LL BE BACK!!!!!!!!

luvdiznee
05-14-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't like this either! Just got back from CBR. Bought a CBR tee for $8.99--clearance--only had three left! Had a couple of mousepads, and that was it! Very disappointing. Hope I can scoop up something Polynesian in a few weeks!

That was us exactly. Got a lot of stuff on sale at CBR because as I was told they are doing away with a lot of resort specific stuff. Too bad. But more money in my pocket as I won't buy certain things that says Walt Disney World only.:thedolls:

I like my souvenirs to represent where exactly I have been.

Spaceship Tigger
05-14-2010, 02:20 PM
This is extremely disappointing. I'm not buying any article of clothing that says "Disney Parks" on it. I really have never even gone for items that just said WDW - I've always wanted resort specific items or even just single park specific items (esp. Epcot).

I noticed the last couple of trips that even the photo albums don't have the year on them anymore. Just the same generic ones from year to year. It seems that if they can't sell it in every shop and for several years then they'll do away with it.

buzznwoodysmom
05-15-2010, 11:06 AM

This is sad to read. We stayed at CBR last June and there were tons of resort specific items. We stayed at CSR several years ago and I remember there being lots of resort specific items there too. I ended up regretting not buying a few things, and on a trip just 6 months later we took a ride to CSR so that I could get those items and over half of the unique items were no longer being sold there. On our most recent trip, Nov. 2009, I noticed that the Poly and WL still had lots of resort specific items, but the BC, where we stayed for part of our trip, didn't have as much as I would have liked. It really makes me sad. I love getting items from the resorts we've stayed at and "Disney Parks" just doesn't work for me either.

Mousemates
05-15-2010, 10:50 PM
We've seen this coming for awhile (while trying to buy Christmas ornaments for our Disney tree) and had it confirmed by cast members in the various gift shops (yes, I know how reliable CM info can not at times) who have told us the resort specifc items (with the exception of trading pins) are largely going away. One of the few resorts where you can still find a wide variety of resort specific items thou is the Poly...i got a golf hat and my wife found an embroidered hoodie on our last visit.

thejens
05-15-2010, 11:05 PM
The good news is that it does indeed make it less tempting to pick up a souvenir. Maybe I can save some money. I wonder if rumors that purchases are down are true and if there is a correlation. I always like to feel like I am buying something unique and meaningful. What is disney parks??? It has no meaning to me.

DizneyRox
05-16-2010, 05:30 AM
The good news is that it does indeed make it less tempting to pick up a souvenir. Maybe I can save some money. I wonder if rumors that purchases are down are true and if there is a correlation. I always like to feel like I am buying something unique and meaningful. What is disney parks??? It has no meaning to me.

Absolutely that's the plus side for me. Really, i've gone looking for stuff to buy, to the point where we saved up a nice chunk of cash specifically for our buying habits at WDW, only to come hone with money burning a hole in our pocket. Now, Im sure I won't find anything, so barely do any shopping.

We've got a two week vacation coming up, and I just said to my wife, what do you want to do this day? We don't have anything planned... DTD? She said there's no reason to go there...

I think it is part of the reason merchandise sales are down, maybe even a big part. The economy isn't helping, but we haven't spent anything significant on a trip since probably around 2003 or so. Before that, we would come back with full sets of dishes (16 settings), or artwork, furniture, etc.

xo0ally
05-16-2010, 12:29 PM
I think Disney was losing a lot of money selling resort and year specific merchandise because when it was the next year they had to change the year on the merchandise and then they were not selling the pervious's year stuff, thus losing money.

Maleficent's Dad
05-16-2010, 09:28 PM
I think Disney was losing a lot of money selling resort and year specific merchandise because when it was the next year they had to change the year on the merchandise and then they were not selling the pervious's year stuff, thus losing money.
I may agree with a portion of your post - namely the part that say, "year specific merchandise because when it was the next year they had to change the year..."

Otherwise, I vehemently disagree!

We've contacted WDW on several occasions - telling them that we were very upset with the fact that we could not purchase "Resort Specific" merchandise! I want stuff from the resorts, and I love DVC specific merchandise (both of which are becoming more and more difficult to come by). So Disney, by all means, loses money on me each year with the generic junk they offer.

DizneyRox
05-17-2010, 07:10 AM
All the previous years stuff goes out back to property control where CMs can buy it dirt cheap. Disney still makes money on it. Those items very little to make in the volume Disney purchases...

AJ Springfield
05-17-2010, 12:57 PM
I am very disappointed about losing the resort specific merchandise...especially the refillable mugs!! I use our mugs (we have at least 15) throughout the year (they are lighter than glass and my hands don't get cold since there are handles). I am kicking myself for not buying one from each resort-- I would love to have the different resorts displayed in the cabinet. I am sure it is much cheaper to buy a million of one style rather than 100,000 of 10 styles. In 1998, Caribbean Beach had their mugs in different colors as well.

luvdiznee
05-17-2010, 06:23 PM
All the previous years stuff goes out back to property control where CMs can buy it dirt cheap. Disney still makes money on it. Those items very little to make in the volume Disney purchases...

Do they then sell it on Ebay?:secret:

jkjs
05-20-2010, 03:00 AM
I just stayed @ the Boardwalk with my daughter & they only had 1 resort specific item that wasn't on sale & it was indeed a trading pin. The only other thing they had was a cheesey rubber frame for less than $4 and they only had a couple left.

My understanding is that the MK resorts will continue to have resort specific merch for now, none of the value or mods will(other than what is left over) & only some of the deluxes outside of the MK area will, except for trading pins as mentioned.

They continue to have year specific items I just saw multiple choices for 2010. They had several sizes of photo albums, stickers, toys, shirts, etc.

I agree I want unique & specific items. I don't mind spending extra for something that has meaning for me. The only thing I purchased on this last trip was the trading pin which I always get but would have loved a t-shirt or quality frame or mug. I see my bottom line looking a little healthier these days after my WDW vacations because there is less & less for me to purchase.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-20-2010, 06:59 AM
I may agree with a portion of your post - namely the part that say, "year specific merchandise because when it was the next year they had to change the year..."

Otherwise, I vehemently disagree!

We've contacted WDW on several occasions - telling them that we were very upset with the fact that we could not purchase "Resort Specific" merchandise! I want stuff from the resorts, and I love DVC specific merchandise (both of which are becoming more and more difficult to come by). So Disney, by all means, loses money on me each year with the generic junk they offer.
I could live without the "year" stuff. Just bring back the park and resort things!

Mrs Bus Driver
05-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Could not agree more with everyone. My last 2 trips all I did was look for pins which I collect. Even though they may have some resort/park specific most pins are very generic and sold everywhere. I did not buy anything on my last trip and I quit buying tees and sweatshirts. Hey Disney pay attention if you want my money "I don't want overpriced generic tees and sweats. Just my:twocents: :mickey:

yjgirl32
05-20-2010, 09:12 AM
I agree- I would much rather have resort specific items rather than their generic garbage. Of course like many of you I will just think of the positve things- I will save money- thanks Disney.

elorac
05-20-2010, 10:00 AM
I could live without the "year" stuff. Just bring back the park and resort things!

I second that! :thumbsup:

jkjs
05-20-2010, 12:12 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with dated items. After all not everyone stays on property so a momento that denotes when you were there is great & in fact I often buy an album when I take someone who's never been.

And it's ok for the dated items to be inclusive of the 4 WDW parks but I don't want something that simply says 'Disney Parks" so these items will drop off my list as well.

I agree about the pins as well. I have always collected pins because of the size. I have pins dating way before pin trading started. We always go during the holiday season & I have enjoyed picking up the Christmas resort pins that had the year on them. I just couldn't find one this last year.

I suspect that the folks that are making these decisions have neither the knowledge or the passion for the parks/resorts that many of us have. Pie charts & spread sheets are all they know.

After all for those of us that are repeat guests how often do we actually participate in those random surveys @ the gates. I'll admit it I avoid it, but the newbie that's excited about their 1st trip & wants to experience everything is more likely to. And without the knowledge of what's always been available in the way of merch & with the right wording of a question you can get almost any answer you want from folks.

We're taking the grands for the 1st time in Dec & I'm not sure what we'll leave with.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-20-2010, 08:10 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with dated items. After all not everyone stays on property so a momento that denotes when you were there is great & in fact I often buy an album when I take someone who's never been.
Never said there was anything wrong with them. I pretty much have one for every year for awhile now. Just said if it was a choice in order to save Disney money, I would rather choose the park or resort specific. :mickey:

jkjs
05-22-2010, 04:50 AM
I wasn't refering to anyone's post I was refering to the trend to change everything to 'Disney Parks' as opposed to @ least differentiating WDW from DL with dated material. My post was aimed @ Disney merch execs only.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-22-2010, 08:21 AM
I wasn't refering to anyone's post I was refering to the trend to change everything to 'Disney Parks' as opposed to @ least differentiating WDW from DL with dated material. My post was aimed @ Disney merch execs only.

I agree with you on this one. I have picked up a few things that said Disneyland on the inside tag or something, and for some reason I resented that. :)