PDA

View Full Version : Package or Tickets/Room Separately?

jonsmom
05-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi

I am starting to plan my trip for next April. It will be almost 3 years since our last vacation.

Is it a better deal to purchase a package with tickets and hope for the free dining plan :)
or to purchase tickets and room separate.

Do they still make you purchase one ticket to qualify for the dining plan?

Thanks.

McLiberal8
05-09-2010, 03:54 PM
I always go with the package - it is easier, you get all your expenses, tickets, and roomkey all on one card, plus you get the extras of the package (luggage tag, free mini golf, etc).
When are your dates?

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-09-2010, 03:58 PM
This can be a difficult question to answer, as so much depends on your family, and what you usually do.

For example, there can be times when there are room discounts that are better than the dining plan discounts, times when the package deals are better, if you'd buy the dining plan anyways, etc.

I would recomment using Magical Journeys to book your trip. They will help you run the numbers and sort out what the best deal is for your trip.

jonsmom
05-09-2010, 04:26 PM
I always go with the package - it is easier, you get all your expenses, tickets, and roomkey all on one card, plus you get the extras of the package (luggage tag, free mini golf, etc).
When are your dates?

I also think that it is easier to just do it all together as a package.

I am looking at April 16th 2011. Its spring break in the NorthEast.

jonsmom
05-09-2010, 04:27 PM
This can be a difficult question to answer, as so much depends on your family, and what you usually do.

For example, there can be times when there are room discounts that are better than the dining plan discounts, times when the package deals are better, if you'd buy the dining plan anyways, etc.

I would recomment using Magical Journeys to book your trip. They will help you run the numbers and sort out what the best deal is for your trip.

I would like to use Magical Journeys too. I have usually used AAA. The benefit for me with AAA is that if I am looking to book SouthWest Air during school vacation period in April, they can do that for me as well. Seats sell fast during that vacation period and I am not sure if MJ does air. I will have to check.

Fastpasssteve
05-12-2010, 12:26 AM
I agree with the poster above. It depends on what the better deal is at the moment. I booked my next trip (October) while I was down in WDW during February because I could get 40% off a Deluxe room if I booked while I was still down there. The DDP isn't a good deal for us, since we eat a lot of Table Service Dining, but not enough to warrant the Deluxe Plan, so we pay as we go...it's cheaper for us. You just have to do the math and see what makes financial sense for you vs. what you need to make the magic happen! Best of luck.

Scorpiosammy
05-12-2010, 01:42 AM
I have found that sometimes it can be cheaper one way or another. I suppose it depends on the time of year and length of stay.

Lately, for the last two trips (including our trip this September) we have used Magical Journeys to book a package including tickets, the room, and dining. I always prefer to call (1-407-WDISNEY) to speak to someone to make sure its available, etc.

I would recommend doing some "homework" on your own before calling them. I would get quotes on the disney website for both ways and compare the costs. Then I would call and see what they have to offer. For our Honeymoon last September, we did our research and when we called to book our trip we 1st asked if there were any better specials. We ended up saving about $1,000 and got to stay in a Honeymoon 1 bedroom DVC suite with a savannah view. It never hurts to ask ;)

Good luck with your planning :mickey:

DizneyRox
05-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Room only and tickets... Packages have really never been a good deal for me. According to the latest press release on profits, don't hold your breath on discounts. Oger basically said the same in his statement, they are prepared to accept an attendence drop to push prices back to pre-recession levels.

DisneyBunch5
05-12-2010, 11:52 AM
With the current free dining plan offer, a minimum 2 day pass must be purchased. That's a change from last year, when it was only a 1 day pass.

Disneyfirsttimer
05-12-2010, 12:07 PM
I would think it is highly unlikely to offer free dining during spring break. They don't usually offer any discounts during that period.

We just went the week before Easter (March 27 to April 3). Easter was April 4. It was our Spring Break. They did offer the Buy 4 nights, get 3 nights free but our dates were blacked out due to the Holiday period (blackout dates were March 28 to April 11).

Keep in mind they even charge a higher price for the dining plan during holiday and peak periods. We paid $47.99/person for the basic plan (even for my 10 year old!). It was normally $41.99 so that was an extra $18/day for 7 days during the time we visited.

Spring Break was also super crowded. More so that our previous spring break trip.

jonsmom
05-12-2010, 01:31 PM
I didnt realize you needed to purchase a two day ticket now. Thanks for the info.

Our spring break is the 3rd week of April.

Dont know if that makes a difference or not.

AJ Springfield
05-12-2010, 01:40 PM
We buy room and tickets only ...not as a package with dining. I priced it both ways and the room plus tickets was less expensive than buying it as a package. Packages require people to completely pay for a vacation months ahead of time - I would rather keep my money accessible for as long as possible. I also like the idea that I only need to pay for one night when I make the reservation. When it is room only, you can cancel up to 6 days ahead of time with 100% refund...that won't happen with a package deal. There have been times when we just purchase tickets at the time of check in...so all that I need to pay when reserving the room is one night's cost. Packages also carry different (higher) taxes. Price it out as room only... and then price it as a package. They will put a hard sell on the dining plan...which (in my opinion) isn't worth it. Happy planning!!!

DisneyBunch5
05-12-2010, 03:31 PM
The 2 days minimum pass is for the current free dining offer. If you purchase the dining plan, then the minimum is a 1 day pass.

TammiMcMan
05-12-2010, 03:42 PM
I would like to use Magical Journeys too. I have usually used AAA. The benefit for me with AAA is that if I am looking to book SouthWest Air during school vacation period in April, they can do that for me as well. Seats sell fast during that vacation period and I am not sure if MJ does air. I will have to check.The huge advantage with using an agent like MJ though, is that they'll continue to look for and apply any discounts that become available. AAA doesn't generally do that. You could still use them for your airfare if you aren't comfortable booking it on your own.

jonsmom
05-12-2010, 04:19 PM
The huge advantage with using an agent like MJ though, is that they'll continue to look for and apply any discounts that become available. AAA doesn't generally do that. You could still use them for your airfare if you aren't comfortable booking it on your own.

Thanks for the suggestion - I have not heard from my AAA t/a. Thanks.

jonsmom
05-12-2010, 04:19 PM
The huge advantage with using an agent like MJ though, is that they'll continue to look for and apply any discounts that become available. AAA doesn't generally do that. You could still use them for your airfare if you aren't comfortable booking it on your own.

No. AAA does not do that. True, I can use them separately for airfare.