PDA

View Full Version : World of Color soft opening?

robnadina
05-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Has anyone heard anything about a soft opening for World of Color? I am hearing that Disney is expecting a mass exoudus of visitors over the summer because of this show and they are worried about crowd control. But I couldnt find anything about a AP soft opening.

Disney4us2
05-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I haven't heard anything either. I am going tomorrow. Will ask around.

BrerGnat
05-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Not an AP preview, but soft opening is supposed to be May 12-18. It will then go dark until June. They really need to figure out the crowd control situation. They are planning for three shows nightly over the summer...

ozmom
05-10-2010, 10:42 AM
This would be cool as I will be there the 13th & 14th. Hope we get a chance to see. :mickey:

eeyorepoohfan
05-10-2010, 12:08 PM
ozmom. Please post if they are doing the soft opening as soon as you can! I am going May 15th-18th and would love to know if it is a possibility! :thumbsup:

eeyorepoohfan
05-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Any reports on if they are doing the soft opening right now? My sisters and I will be there tomorrow! We'll be there May 15-18th and are really hoping this is going on! It would be great to see it!

ozmom
05-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Have been here since wed night, park has closed each day at six. On wed we could hear music see lights and water shooting up. We are staying at GCH. Did not see this last night. Asked around & being told no soft opening. In fact opening is delayed. Park is open later tonight gonna go check area out later in the evening. The testing we saw on wed was about 9 pm.

NotaGeek
05-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Have been here since wed night, park has closed each day at six. On wed we could hear music see lights and water shooting up. We are staying at GCH. Did not see this last night. Asked around & being told no soft opening. In fact opening is delayed. Park is open later tonight gonna go check area out later in the evening. The testing we saw on wed was about 9 pm.
Opening isn't delayed, official opening is June 11, right on schedule. :mickey:

ozmom
05-15-2010, 03:01 AM
Sorry, probably did not word that right. I should have said one of the CM said it would be delayed and I'm sure the information is incorrect. Tonight was in line for Toy Story Mania at 9:15 ready to go inside building when they started some testing. It didn't last too long, it was over by time we got through the building.

BrerGnat
05-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Well, the soft opening from May 12-18 WAS a "rumor". It was never officially confirmed by Disney.

I think they really need to figure out the crowd control situation, and quick! Their current plans have the show operating after the park is closed for the night. I really don't understand this. Why can't they just run it like Illuminations at Epcot? Let people watch from anywhere around the lagoon they want? Supposedly, they are not going to allow this. People will ONLY be able to watch from the "viewing area." The rest of the walkway around the pier will be closed, along with all the rides (they need Paradise Pier dark as a backdrop for the show).

They are planning for multiple shows each night...and will "hold" the crowds for each show over near the main entrance plaza until right before showtime. So weird...

eeyorepoohfan
05-20-2010, 01:37 PM
I was bummed that it was just a rumor about the soft opening this last week. My sisters and I got a free upgrade to a theme park view room at Paradise Pier upper level. We watched the 2 nights we were there but didn't see anything. We did see the water levels rise the 2nd night, but by the next day, it was back down to previous levels again. While in line for Toy Story on Monday we saw them shooting off some of the water cannons. A lot of work and testing was being done. The CM we talked to at the Blue Cellar (can't remember the full name) said they have not been informed of any showings before opening night, not even for CMs. She said their goal is to have everyone WOWed on the first night. She wouldn't reveal how they intended to have people view the show. All she would say is that people would be free to walk around the gardens during the day but would not be allowed to camp out for seats like people do for Fantasmic. It sounds like they are being pretty hush hush. I guess I'll have to wait for my next Disneyland trip to see the show! And that won't be for a couple of years probably!

BrerGnat
05-20-2010, 02:36 PM
The CM we talked to at the Blue Cellar (can't remember the full name) said they have not been informed of any showings before opening night, not even for CMs. She said their goal is to have everyone WOWed on the first night. She wouldn't reveal how they intended to have people view the show. All she would say is that people would be free to walk around the gardens during the day but would not be allowed to camp out for seats like people do for Fantasmic. It sounds like they are being pretty hush hush.

Well, you talked to an uninformed CM. ;) Shocker.

There is actually a WOC preview night on June 8th for press. One local radio station (104.3 MYFM) is giving away tickets for it. I am trying to win tickets. This is from their website:

When the sun goes down, the excitement rises at the Disneyland® Resort during Summer Nightastic! Listen weekdays from 6AM to 12AM for your for your chance to join us at our Private Sneak Peek Party on June 8 at Disney's California Adventure® Park for the sneak peek of World of Color.

Breathtaking artistry, beloved Disney Characters and stunning special effects come together to create World of Color, a magnificent new nighttime water spectacular! Water, light and fire intertwine in a kaleidoscope of fantasy and imagination. From the water’s surface, enormous mist screens rise up and come alive with scenes from timeless Disney tales—like The Lion King, Cinderella and Disney•Pixar’s Finding Nemo. As unforgettable Disney music fills the air, thousands of vibrant fountains playfully dance and change color as they soar high into the night sky. With each changing scene, you are drawn deeper into a dazzling new dimension of Disney storytelling magic—until you feel like you’re actually a part of the story! Welcome to World of Color—springing to life exclusively in Disney’s California Adventure® Park!

PRIZE
• 4 tickets to the MYfm Private Party at Disney's California Adventure® Park on June 8 for the sneak peek of World of Color.

So, yeah, that CM was wrong.

Also, it's pretty well known how they plan to control the crowds during the show. Just do a google search and you should find some reliable info.

After reading about it, I am LESS than thrilled about seeing the show. In fact, I will venture to say that my kids will NOT tolerate their waiting area thing and subsequent herding over to the viewing area situation, and they won't see it since it's so late at night anyway. Last show is rumored to be around 11:30...first show is supposedly at 9pm.

It seems like they are really making this more complicated than it needs to be...

robnadina
05-20-2010, 03:29 PM
After reading about it, I am LESS than thrilled about seeing the show. In fact, I will venture to say that my kids will NOT tolerate their waiting area thing and subsequent herding over to the viewing area situation, and they won't see it since it's so late at night anyway. Last show is rumored to be around 11:30...first show is supposedly at 9pm.

It seems like they are really making this more complicated than it needs to be...

So I wasnt the only one who felt that way? I am seriously thinking about prolonging when I see WOC because of the crowd issues. I remember last summer when we were at CA for the Electrical Parade the rush of people to leave the park was Awful! We would be at a dead stop for about 2 minutes before moving 10 ft.
Thankfully we had a plan to meet up with our party if we got seperated, which we were. DD who was 1 at the time was so scared of the crowd, I had to carry her in one hand and push her stroller with the other. As most of you know, when there is a crowd of people trying to do the exact same thing, its every man for themselves.
We are thinking about waiting until late September early October before we check it out. And not on a weekend either.

BrerGnat
05-20-2010, 03:39 PM
So I wasnt the only one who felt that way? I am seriously thinking about prolonging when I see WOC because of the crowd issues. I remember last summer when we were at CA for the Electrical Parade the rush of people to leave the park was Awful! We would be at a dead stop for about 2 minutes before moving 10 ft.
Thankfully we had a plan to meet up with our party if we got seperated, which we were. DD who was 1 at the time was so scared of the crowd, I had to carry her in one hand and push her stroller with the other. As most of you know, when there is a crowd of people trying to do the exact same thing, its every man for themselves.
We are thinking about waiting until late September early October before we check it out. And not on a weekend either.

Nope, you are NOT alone! I have to seriously question the sanity of the people at Team Disney Anaheim who are coordinating this whole thing. It sounds ridiculous. Especially when you have young kids in strollers and such, the whole mass exodus at the end sounds downright scary! I mean, really.

Why can't someone over there just MENTION Illuminations at Epcot??? I mean, it's very similar, and I think if this show was treated like that one, there would be no issues.

LET THE PEOPLE CHOOSE where they want to see the show from. Everyone knows at Epcot that there are "better" spots to watch from, but not everyone cares THAT much if their view is less than perfect. I think Disney needs to analyze the locations that would provide even a DECENT view of the show, and keep those areas open for spectators. I can see how watching form behind the Fun Wheel would probably be a bad idea, but other than directly BEHIND the show, I can't imagine that the show is so awful when you're not directly in front of the fountains that the powers that be have deemed it UNACCEPTABLE to let people watch from the periphery.

I think Disney needs to pull back on the hype for this show too, or they are going to have some serious issues with crowd management on their hands.

At this point, it ALMOST seems worth it to book a theme park view villa at GCH, almost.

If I don't win tickets to the private party on June 8, I will probably also wait until the fall or winter (off season, mid week) to see this show.

NotaGeek
05-20-2010, 04:12 PM
I think that the crowd response and overall excitement to see the World of Color is exactly what DCA needs. So many sites bash DCA and WDI for everything they do in the 2nd DLR Park ... I think WOC will really be the think that puts the Park back on track, and if I had a way, i would be there opening weekend with ALL the crowds to see the show first.

I was lucky enough to be at DLR for the opening day of the 50th Celebration and it was a truly awesome and crowded experience -- this would be equally cool in my opinion.

eeyorepoohfan
05-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Well, you talked to an uninformed CM. ;) Shocker.

There is actually a WOC preview night on June 8th for press. One local radio station (104.3 MYFM) is giving away tickets for it. I am trying to win tickets.

So, yeah, that CM was wrong.

Also, it's pretty well known how they plan to control the crowds during the show. Just do a google search and you should find some reliable info.

I agree with you. I feel she was just keeping it a secret because of how she was talking. She kept saying not to trust what's out on the internet and people are just trying to leak information and videos, etc. But you could tell she knew the info but didn't want to share it! This CM was actually working at the Blue Sky Cellar and was the one to tell info about the updates and changes at California Adventure. I've read about it on the internet through various sites too. That is really cool that the radio station is giving away tickets to the preview night! I was actually unaware that they had announced an official preview, thanks for the info! :thumbsup: I also agree that I think they are working up too much about the show and the way they are going to make people wait in a certain area before getting seats to see it. I think you would have a great vantage point from most places around the water, excluding behind the farris wheel of course. And if people know there will be more than one show each night, then the crowds will be spread out. I don't intend to see it for a couple of years, so I'm assuming the crowds will die down a little by then! :mickey:

BrerGnat
05-20-2010, 06:09 PM
I think that the crowd response and overall excitement to see the World of Color is exactly what DCA needs. So many sites bash DCA and WDI for everything they do in the 2nd DLR Park ... I think WOC will really be the think that puts the Park back on track, and if I had a way, i would be there opening weekend with ALL the crowds to see the show first.

I was lucky enough to be at DLR for the opening day of the 50th Celebration and it was a truly awesome and crowded experience -- this would be equally cool in my opinion.

I agree with you overall. However, the truth of the matter is, DCA is not READY to deal with the onslaught of the crowds JUST to see this show. I love DCA (always have) and think it has been underrated for some time. However, I feel like Disney is trying to overcompensate with how much they are hyping up THIS SHOW, in particular. Are they really ready to deal with the crowd levels that they are trying to lure in? The infrastructure is already suffering in the areas of parking and traffic management.

I personally don't think DCA was designed (walkways, etc.) to handle the massive crowds that this show will bring in ALL AT ONE TIME.

What people will do is what they have always done in regards to DCA. They will spend most of the day at DL, and then hop over to DCA to see the show, causing a large increase in attendance in a short period of time.

Mufasa
05-21-2010, 05:50 AM
Taking World of Color and Illuminations really isn't a fair comparison because they are staged in a much different scale. World of Color is a lot closer to our audience- if you're in the front of the viewing area the nearest fountain is about 20 feet away and shoots some 40 feet in the air. The scale of the paradise pier lagoon is also deceptive- because it is framed so closely by large structures like Mickey's Fun Wheel.

Also Illuminations is a pyro driven show so the audience focus and backdrop occurs at a different height where World of Color's stage is more at lagoon level.

As far as the sight lines go- the ideal show is from direct on- the viewing area extends from the bridge over to the Golden Zephyr and is comparable to the viewing area for Fantasmic. Can you watch Fantasmic off-angle? Ideally no because the mist screens are an integral part of that show. While World of Color is not relying on the mist screens to drive the show it is using them in novel ways like multiplane effects by having front and rear projection surfaces (which are quite large to be seen by a wide angle) but the effect doesn't carry weight if it can't be seen.

The show has been tested and viewed from around the lagoon (quite a bit blocked out by the fun wheel side) and it is a different and in its own way an interesting experience and certainly not awful but the best analogy to describe it is like the awe factor of the Jungle Cruise and viewing the backside of water- do you really take out your cameras to film that and is that the lasting impression you take away from your river cruise?

Crowd control- the walkways can manage traffic flow ideally with the use of a holding/staging area. Basically it becomes a one- way loop where the incoming audience for a show enters from the golden state/wharf side and the outgoing crowds are taken along the redwood creek trail side and can exit directly out to downtown disney via the gate adjacent to Soarin' and right by the parking trams.

With anything new at the resort there is going to be a crush from AP holders which requires patience- at least it is not like Tokyo where prime seating is controlled via a lottery (all members of your party inserrt your park ticket as a group and you either win a ticket or not) and AP holders there have less chance to win since the prevailing thought is they could visit again easily which wouldn't fly here since there are some AP holders that have a sense of entitlement as AP visitors to the parks.

World of Color will be scrutinized by many as a milestone in DCA's makeover plans so there's a lot of hype and expectations but that is as much from the resort guests/fans as the resort itself.

NotaGeek
05-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks Mufasa! I really can't wait to see the new attraction ... it's gonna be AMAZING!

robnadina
06-02-2010, 12:49 PM
So I read in the OC Register that Disney has decided to offer Fast Passes to the 1st lucky few that are able to snag them. Of course, they didnt say how many, but they did say it would guarantee you a seat at one of the showings. What do you all think about this?

BrerGnat
06-02-2010, 04:44 PM
So I read in the OC Register that Disney has decided to offer Fast Passes to the 1st lucky few that are able to snag them. Of course, they didnt say how many, but they did say it would guarantee you a seat at one of the showings. What do you all think about this?

I read that there will be 2000 FP given for each show. The other 2000 "reserved" seats (or, I should say, "standing area") are for people who purchase the dining packages. If you are not one of those 4000, you will have to find another place (other than the designated viewing area) to watch the show from.

What I want to know is, are they going to limit the number of people who watch from "elsewhere", and if so, how?