PDA

View Full Version : Typical Day with small kids at WDW

Jillian01520
05-07-2010, 01:40 PM
We are planning on going to WDW in March of 2011...it will be myself, DH, our 2 DS 6 & 2.

So I was wondering...if you have been to Disney with young kids, what was a typical day like?

I just read BrenGnat's (?) report and she seemed to really have a great schedule foe her kids.

Thanks for your help

faline
05-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

I don't think there's really any typical day for a family with young children. Some generalities:
1. It will take much longer to get out of your room in the morning than you might expect.
2. Don't adhere to a really strict schedule. Save time to "detour" to what the the children are interested in.
3. Since you have two who are about four years apart, they may have very different interests in rides etc. Plan some time where each parent splits off with one child so that each child can get to do what is of interest to them.
4. Plan at least one character meal but be prepared to have one of children not like the characters though it's also possible both will adore them!
5. Return to your resort mid-day for some rest. Even though your oldest may no longer take naps, some down time would be beneficial. Disney World can be very stimulating.
6. Head back into the parks in the evening when everyone is happy again.
7. Plan to have early nights. Disney World is no longer fun when the kids are tired and cranky and the parents are frazzled and grumpy! Better to relax at your resort than to try to get three more attractions in!

Jillian01520
05-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the great advice!

Our oldest will actually be almost 7 then so I'm sure he'll not be too interested in some of the things our 2 y/o will be.

A mid day nap is a for sure! (maybe even for mommy :blush:)

The last time I was there was with my whole family (before my own kids) and my sister and her family and my nephews were about the ages of my kids and she had us going from morning till night without stopping (but were only there for 5 days).

We are going to tbe very flexible and if something doesn't work out, we'll try it again the next day.

DizneyRox
05-07-2010, 02:10 PM
...be very flexible and if something doesn't work out, we'll try it again the next day.
That is key!

We used to go commando, dusk to dawn and then some. Now, we just stroll around, smell the roses and see where the day takes us. We've seen it all before, so there is no real rush to see it again.

Keep everyone happy, and if that means 1/2 days in the parks, the rest at the pool, so be it.

Diznut
05-07-2010, 02:37 PM
We went 1.5 years ago when my kids were 1 and 4. First trip with little kids and my DH and I are very seasoned Disney visitors. This was a BIG change from our usual travel style. Kids burn out fast and it is hard to keep up a good pace.
So this time (we leave in 2 days with our 2 and 5 year olds) our motto is "up early, down early". We hope to be first at the parks and then get out by 3pm the latest. Early evening swim and dinner at the resort and in bed by 630pm.
We don't think it is worth it to come back for a rest in the middle of the day and then go back at night. We don't stay at monorail resorts and the commute time is too much for all of us.
So this is our approach and hopefully it works out this time around!

BrerGnat
05-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Linda gave some excellent advice!

For us, the trip was ALL about the kids. We (DH and I) had been there a few times before, and were not particularly concerned with going on rides and stuff. We basically did not have a schedule. Our kids are very unpredictable due to their issues, so we let them sort of dictate what we would do and when. We followed their lead, while providing minimal direction via making suggestions or telling them where we were going, but then letting them choose what they wanted to do.

We also did NOT mess with their bedtime schedule. It's very much ingrained in them to sleep by a certain time at night, and then when they wake up, they wake up. Since we were coming from a 3 hour time differential, that meant mornings sleeping in and then late (for them) nights out.

And, you will likely have to split up a few times due to the difference in your kids ages. Do it! We had to a few times, and it kept everyone happy.

I even cancelled EVERY single ADR I had made for the week, simply because I didn't even want to be THAT much tied to a schedule...we did a fine job of "winging it" when it came to eating. The kids were hungry at odd times, and it was MUCH easier to eat when they needed to than to try to make them sit through a meal when they weren't hungry, or overtired, etc. CS was our friend all week!

dinahvixen
05-07-2010, 10:13 PM
we went in Sept with dds almost 2 and just turned 8 - The two year old found fun in most simple things - fountains, street entertainments, almost any ride - it was not hard at all to keep her entertained by the things that entertained her sister. Her sister was encouraged and very proud to show her younger sibling her favorite rides, but she, herself still likes Small World, etc.

We went when crowds were low, so waiting in line wasnt a problem, but we we did do afternoon pool time, or like the other post, left the park early and relaxed at POR for the late afternoon swim and dinner.

It was great with a 6 year difference - the jaded 8 yo got a new perspective from the newbie - we all did!

teambricker04
05-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Some great points!

My DH and I have two sons (who are now 5 and nearly 3) and while it has been a while since we have been, I think a few of our tricks will still be part of our playbook.

We are always up early. It doesn't matter which one of us... we're TOO EXCITED TO SLEEP :)

So we generally eat a light breakfast in our room. PB&J or cereal and some fruit. Quick, so we get get on the move.

We like to be at the park at opening. The show at MK is fun and we take our time on MS. We usually take the parks as they come, or what ever someone in our party really wants to do.

We never make ADRs until the moment before. Really, we never know when someone is going to be hungry since we are so active it seems to just hit. I pack loads of snacks in a backpack... no one cries in line :) (Yes, that includes me.) If we decide to sit down for a meal, we take it as it comes.

BREAKS! We stop when we need to... and generally go back mid day or early afternoon for swim time and a "nap". Then back to the park after dinner.

Most of all, DH and I try to see it through our kids eyes... that's what is so much FUN!

thejens
05-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Our approach is very different than those listed above, so here is a different perspective. We plan out our trip in detail making ADRs and following the Unauthorized Guides. We are at the park when it opens and our kids nap in strollers and on dark rides whenever they need to rest. Our kids have never been big nappers or too schedule oriented. I like using the UG schedules because it allows us to do a maximum amount of rides with a minimum amount of waiting. I like using ADRs because I like to relax in an air conditioned sit down restaurant and eat great food in a themed environment. I find the pre-planning makes the whole week go smoothly.

Now that we have been to WDW a few times, I am more relaxed and flexible. I have definitely deviated from the "plan" when I see that the kids are fading. But I have also found that having a plan makes everyone feel secure and eliminates "but I wanted to do this" and whining in general. Now that my kids are a little older I give them a certain amount of spending money for the whole trip to eliminate the battle when going through the millions of gift shops you are subjected to. Disney Dollars purchased at the mall can be a very fun way to do this!

Always bring a change of clothes and some water proof shoes for your little ones! There are lots of splashing and getting wet opportunities!

What every strategy you choose, Have a great time!!!

eandrsmom
05-09-2010, 12:19 PM
We just returned home yesterday. After a little downtime, I hope to start planning our next trip.:mickey: We are a family of six, with kids ranging from age 11 to 2. There were things that we did this trip that I think are worth noting. First, I'd consider the temperature when you're going. This past week, we had hardly any lines, but the temps were in the 90's and the humidity was high. It really zapped our energy. By mid week, we were sleeping late and renting a double stroller for our 6 and 2 year old kids. We had some ADR's and tried to keep most of them, but if we were tired, we'd get a quick bite and go back to the hotel to rest. I think that the most important thing to remember, is to remain flexible and realize that you probably won't get to see and do everything when traveling with little ones. It is still worth going, but you have to remember that you will need downtime during your stay.