PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2010!

Davyjones
05-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Since no one has started one yet, I guess I'll do it! Match time coming up! Not sure how you guys are, but I am completely stoked for the Cup! :thumbsup: So, who do you support (you can support more than 1 team in my opinion)? Who do you think will win it all? Players to watch for the tournament? Most intriguing matchup? Who'll play in the final? Those kinds of questions!! :)

I, of course, support the U.S. and Spain! I expect a better showing from the U.S. this time as opposed to in 2006. There's no way we'd win it all (I'm realistic), but at least get us to the knockout rounds. But I believe Spain will win it all!

Oh, and did anyone see that a South African Police Chief said that he hopes the U.S. doesn't make it out of the group stage because he doesn't want to have to deal with the security issues that come along with President Obama coming to watch the team play? What a loser!! :mad:

So, what ya got?
:soccer2: :soccer:

RAIDER
05-08-2010, 02:54 AM
I support England but i dont think we will win it as at the moment our defence is suspect
England i think will get to th semis ,but it will be either Spain or Brazil to win it in my opinion . The players to watch ... Rooney & Messi

Am looking forward to USA v ENGLAND game though :D

5MemphisTiggers
05-10-2010, 11:50 AM
I pull for the US and for Germany. I agree that the US does not have a realistic shot at winning, but I do hope they advance to the knockout stage. I think Bradley has done some good work with the team (although he has had his bad moments as well).

I think Germany will advance to the knockout stage and do reasonably well, but I think they will have a tough time winning it all. Several of their players are in good form, but Gomez and Klose have not been on and have not seen much playing time, and Podolski has done nothing at Koln all season. And we now have issues with our keeper. I'm a big fan of FC Bayern Munchen and Jorge Butt has been great for us this season, but I'm not sure about having him between the posts in WC play.

If I had to pick a winner, I'd have a tough time going against either Spain or Brazil, but Argentina (and Messi) may step it up this time.

Can't wait for it all to begin!!

Scar
05-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Am looking forward to USA v ENGLAND game though :DDid you change your flight? ;)

Go USA! Already planning how much time I'll have to miss from work to watch the USA games. :thumbsup:

sportsguy2315
05-10-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm rooting for the USA and South Africa (I always root for the host :) ). I'm not too familiar with South African soccer, but I don't think their chances are too good to advance. As for the Americans, I have them winning the group and making the 2nd round of the knockout stage before being beaten by the French. As for a winner, I'm going with the Brazilians in a close one, heck I'll say it, in penalties over the Spaniards.

RAIDER
05-11-2010, 03:18 AM
Did you change your flight? ;)

Go USA! Already planning how much time I'll have to miss from work to watch the USA games. :thumbsup:

No Scar unfortunatley not as it was pre booked .I am hoping to catch the 2nd half at the airport so i can watch England give you lot a good lesson in a game that doesnt involve padding :D;)

The Reservoir Dog
05-11-2010, 05:46 AM
Obviously looking forward to June 12 as I have an American wife. I'm going for a 1-1 draw in that game, not because it will keep peace in the house but that England never seem to get off to a winning start in major tournaments and always tend to draw their first game. I have a feeling that this game will be no different.

I hope this World Cup will be better than the last. 2006 World Cup was the worst in my living memory and how Italy won it is beyond belief.

Brazil & Spain will be the favourites. Never rule out the Germans as they always pull it together at a World Cup. I always say if the Dutch can pull together and not fade then they have a good chance.

As for England, yes we have a good chance of winning but in my view we seem to rely too much on Wayne Rooney. If he gets injured or is off form that will be the reason the media will pin on Capello for not winning.

The group of Death containing Brazil, Portugal & Ivory Coast will certainly be the group to look out for.

So sticking my neck out.
England & USA to qualify from group.
England knocked out in quarter final like they always do.
Spain to win the competition overall.

5MemphisTiggers
05-14-2010, 10:24 AM
If I had to pick a winner, I'd have a tough time going against either Spain or Brazil, but Argentina (and Messi) may step it up this time.

EDIT re: Argentina: YIKES! Posted before I saw the provisional "team" named by Maradona. :jaw: Strike that last line!

Scar
05-14-2010, 02:15 PM
EDIT re: Argentina: YIKES! Posted before I saw the provisional "team" named by Maradona. :jaw: Strike that last line!What! Maradona is the coach of Argentina?!? How is that guy even associated with football anymore?

5MemphisTiggers
05-14-2010, 06:54 PM
What! Maradona is the coach of Argentina?!? How is that guy even associated with football anymore?

I'm sure he would claim God had a hand in his appointment to the post.

(Apologies to anyone from the UK for that crack ;))

Davyjones
05-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Okay, so, did anyone else see that Jozy Altdore told David Beckham that the U.S. would beat England 3-0!??!? I'm pretty sure he was joking, but WHAT!??!?! I like Jozy and all, but he needs to grow up and learn to not give the opposing team any ammo! Also, my Jozy-grow-up-comment comes from the fact that in his last game with Hull City, he got ejected when he should've just kept his cool and let the OTHER guy get ejected. Man! :rolleyes:

RAIDER
05-20-2010, 03:21 AM
Okay, so, did anyone else see that Jozy Altdore told David Beckham that the U.S. would beat England 3-0!??!? I'm pretty sure he was joking, but WHAT!??!?! I like Jozy and all, but he needs to grow up and learn to not give the opposing team any ammo! Also, my Jozy-grow-up-comment comes from the fact that in his last game with Hull City, he got ejected when he should've just kept his cool and let the OTHER guy get ejected. Man! :rolleyes:

Its all good banter ,thats what we love the England v USA games boing to be brilliant :).However i dont know if you got the news about security for that game is going to be heavy as its a prime target for "Osama and his mates" ......So sad :sad:

The Reservoir Dog
05-20-2010, 04:15 AM

Beckham probably thought he was talking about Ice Hockey :)

However Altidore didn't exactly set the Premiership alight but having said that he'll probably score the winner just to prove me wrong :)

Have you heard that England are currently training in Austria at high altitude but are then coming back to Wembley for a friendly. If we are going to play at high altitude in South Africa surely we should be playing the friendlies at high altitude. But Wembley needs the money. Makes no sense to me :confused:

Davyjones
05-20-2010, 06:14 AM
Beckham probably thought he was talking about Ice Hockey :)

However Altidore didn't exactly set the Premiership alight but having said that he'll probably score the winner just to prove me wrong :)

Have you heard that England are currently training in Austria at high altitude but are then coming back to Wembley for a friendly. If we are going to play at high altitude in South Africa surely we should be playing the friendlies at high altitude. But Wembley needs the money. Makes no sense to me :confused:

I did see that on Sky sports, Dog. I also saw that Carra is back trying to get into the squad. Not sure how I feel about that one. I think if players decide to retire, they should stay retired. But good luck to him. If Ledley King is healthy and in form, that would help out the squad tremendously. The US-England match is going to be great! I can't wait to skip work that day and watch! ;)

The Reservoir Dog
05-20-2010, 11:12 AM
I did see that on Sky sports, Dog. I also saw that Carra is back trying to get into the squad. Not sure how I feel about that one. I think if players decide to retire, they should stay retired. But good luck to him. If Ledley King is healthy and in form, that would help out the squad tremendously. The US-England match is going to be great! I can't wait to skip work that day and watch! ;)

I've must say I have a few doubts about Capello at the moment. No way should Carragher be in the squad and to make it worse in my view he has come out and said that he will not play for England again after the World Cup. I'm hoping that he will not make the final 23.

Capello had also tried to get Paul Scholes back in the fold but Scholes refused.

Scar
05-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Does anyone know why Freddie Adu hasn't been on the USA roster for a while? Is he just not as good as everyone thought he would be or is there another reason?

Davyjones
05-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Does anyone know why Freddie Adu hasn't been on the USA roster for a while? Is he just not as good as everyone thought he would be or is there another reason?

I wonder if it's due to lack of playing time with his club. He always plays a fairly prominent role with the younger U.S. men's squad, but has yet to truly break through in the Senior squad. I think that Bradley should've had him on the bench this time. And I believe that he can be as good as people thought he would be, but there was no way that he could ever live up to the hype placed on him. And I think he started to believe his own hype himself. I do hope he gets his career back on track because when he's on, Adu is awesome.

RAIDER
05-25-2010, 03:26 AM
Well England looked good against Mexico last night beating them 3-1 ,cant really fault the team as basically it was a makeshift test side :thumbsup:

Davyjones
05-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Not quite sure what to make of the U.S.'s loss to the Czech Reublic last night. I am disappointed, don't get me wrong, but I am not as unhappy as I normally am when we lose. Maybe it's because our normal starters weren't playing and Bradley was testing out other players. Oh well. At least this wasn't the game that counted.

And Onyewu looked slow and lost for the majority of the match. Anxiously awaiting to see who Bradley picks for the Cup squad today!!! :thumbsup:

RAIDER
06-01-2010, 03:23 AM
An unconvincing win against Japan ,but its only a friendly . England name their last 23 today it will be interesting on who he leaves out

RAIDER
06-02-2010, 03:36 AM
Well our team is picked with slight controversy over Theo Wallcott ,personally i would have picked him over Shaun Wright Phillips and as a Spurs surpporter ,i am sad Dawson didnt make it as he has a better season than King .

But heyhoe its time to support the team now :thumbsup: GO ENGLAND :beer:

Scar
06-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I read that 55,000 people showed up in Philly for the USA send off game against Turkey... pretty impresive. I thought about going but had too much to do.

The Reservoir Dog
06-07-2010, 05:40 AM
So the World Cup is finally upon us.

So let's have your predictions for the big game on Saturday.

I'm going for a 1-1 draw in a tight and nervous game.

England always tend to start slowly & the USA will be totally up for this.

RAIDER
06-07-2010, 11:58 AM
So the World Cup is finally upon us.

So let's have your predictions for the big game on Saturday.

I'm going for a 1-1 draw in a tight and nervous game.

England always tend to start slowly & the USA will be totally up for this.

I cant see us loosing at all and as long as Rooney and Gerard are fit for this one i can see us winning 2-0 easily :thumbsup:

Scar
06-07-2010, 04:12 PM
2-1 USA :cool:

Davyjones
06-07-2010, 06:10 PM
US 2-2 England. Draw. :)

dlpmikki
06-12-2010, 12:14 PM
just to pick a different score:

UK 1
US 0

Scar
06-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Thank you Mr. Green.

UK 1
US 0UK? :confused: You must be thinking about Takeaway. ;)

Davyjones
06-12-2010, 04:29 PM
1-1! I'll take it! :thumbsup: Reservoir Dog called it! I thought we were doomed after that England goal, but thank the football gods!

Good match everyone! :mickey:

Scar
06-12-2010, 05:23 PM
I'll take it too.

Amazing how with a little luck and a better goalie we could neutralize a much better team.

Question for those of you who watch a lot of football:

Was that ref a little whistle and card happy, especially in the 2nd half?

The Reservoir Dog
06-12-2010, 05:24 PM
1-1! I'll take it! :thumbsup: Reservoir Dog called it! I thought we were doomed after that England goal, but thank the football gods!

Good match everyone! :mickey:

Yes, I called it but extremely disappointed after scoring so early and certainly not the sort of goal I was expecting you guys to score.

However not a total disaster and fully expect to beat Algeria & Slovenia and win the group. If you guys do the same then it will go down to goal difference but I fancy us to score more.

Scar
06-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Is anyone else completely bothered by that incessant buzzing? I had to turn a few matches off just because I couldn't take it anymore. :down:

The Reservoir Dog
06-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Is anyone else completely bothered by that incessant buzzing? I had to turn a few matches off just because I couldn't take it anymore. :down:

Yes it is very annoying. These are plastic horns called Vuvuzelas and complaints have been made from fans, broadcasters and even the players to have them banned.

However FIFA are saying it's part of the country's culture and is unlikely to put any ban on these. :(

Ian
06-15-2010, 11:17 AM
I was fortunate enough to be able to watch the England v. USA game in a pub in England and it was a very unique experience, I must say!

What was even more enjoyable was reading the British papers the next day ... that poor keeper is getting ripped by the media!

And people say it's tough playing in Philly. ;)

Advnt05
06-15-2010, 02:34 PM
So far, 16 games have been played. There have been 8 decisions and 8 draws. Not much to convince non soccer fans that the game is fun to watch.
Germany looks so far like the best team that has played. Lets see how Brazil and Spain do.

Davyjones
06-15-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm glad that New Zealand drew with Slovakia!! :thumbsup:

I enjoyed the joy displayed after Reid scored the goal for the Kiwis!! That's raw emotion right there!!:D

Davyjones
06-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Wow. Switzerland 1 - Spain 0. Definitely didn't see that one coming. What happened? :confused:

The Reservoir Dog
06-17-2010, 07:56 AM
Wow. Switzerland 1 - Spain 0. Definitely didn't see that one coming. What happened? :confused:

A shock indeed. Hopefully now coming to the second lot of group matches that we might see a few better games and a bit more open football now that some teams need to go for a result.

The first phase of group games always provides very stale games as no one wants to start with a defeat.

The Reservoir Dog
06-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Great comeback by the U.S against Slovenia. and desperately unlucky to have that goal disallowed at the end. Still can't see what the referee saw. :confused:

Let's hope that England can beat Algeria later then come Wednesday, England & USA both win then we're both through. :)

Davyjones
06-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Great comeback by the U.S against Slovenia. and desperately unlucky to have that goal disallowed at the end. Still can't see what the referee saw. :confused:

Let's hope that England can beat Algeria later then come Wednesday, England & USA both win then we're both through. :)

The official report on why the goal was disallowed was "a foul on Edu" before the goal. Really? :confused: Nobody saw why the goal was disallowed except for Slovenia's manager, who said something to the effect of "There was a lot of pushing in the box and the ref saw the Americans pushing our guys around". Really? Isn't that what happens during those types of situations? :mad:

Sorry about the draw against Algeria. Haven't watched it yet, but I will tonight. The best situation now is for the U.S. and England to win their next matches so we can both go through.

The Reservoir Dog
06-18-2010, 06:21 PM
The official report on why the goal was disallowed was "a foul on Edu" before the goal. Really? :confused: Nobody saw why the goal was disallowed except for Slovenia's manager, who said something to the effect of "There was a lot of pushing in the box and the ref saw the Americans pushing our guys around". Really? Isn't that what happens during those types of situations? :mad:

Sorry about the draw against Algeria. Haven't watched it yet, but I will tonight. The best situation now is for the U.S. and England to win their next matches so we can both go through.

Davy. In all honesty don't waste your time watching the England game tonight. Their performance was quite embarrassing for players of their stature.:mad:

I still think they'll qualify but on this performance there is no way we can win this competition.

RAIDER
06-20-2010, 10:43 AM

Sorry folks i have just come back from Florida and just as well ,the way England are playing :mad:

Scar i personally love the vuvusalas ,for me it brings some atmosphere to the matches and makes this World Cup unique .
I also have to congratulate ESPNS coverage of the World Cup . I have to say David Ley is an excellent anchorman as well as Lalas as a pundit was very impressed watching it while i was there .
I am also glad the USA had that goal dissallowed cos it gave you guys something to play over and over again instead of Robert " the cat " Greens mishap in the USA game ;)

Davyjones
06-20-2010, 11:50 AM
How was your trip, Raider? Hope you had tons of fun over there!

For me, personally, I like the vuvuzelas! I truly don't even notice them when I'm watching the match. This is how I feel about it: It's part of the culture of South African football, so it would be wrong to silence them. It would be like having the World Cup in England and then telling the crowds that they cannot sing or chant during the matches. It would detract from the atmosphere and festivities of the matches, and the Cup as well. But that's just my opinion, of course. :)

RAIDER
06-21-2010, 03:38 AM
How was your trip, Raider? Hope you had tons of fun over there!

For me, personally, I like the vuvuzelas! I truly don't even notice them when I'm watching the match. This is how I feel about it: It's part of the culture of South African football, so it would be wrong to silence them. It would be like having the World Cup in England and then telling the crowds that they cannot sing or chant during the matches. It would detract from the atmosphere and festivities of the matches, and the Cup as well. But that's just my opinion, of course. :)

Davy ...Cheers mate i had a lovely time ....The weather out there was in the high 90s sometimes hitting over 100f .
Like i said i must commend ESPN on their coverage its better than in England
Lets hope both the USA & England get through this week :beer:

Scar
06-21-2010, 10:06 AM
I don't know if I'm getting used to them, or if the fans are getting tired, but the horns don't seem as bothersome as earlier in the tournament. :shrug:

And this joke about the disallowed goal is one of the reasons why association football will never catch on over here. Here it is four days later and we still have no explanation why it was disallowed. FIFA said they would reveiw it, well have they? I haven't heard anything.

Ian
06-23-2010, 12:06 PM
I didn't get to see the game, but based on what I was able to follow on the Game Tracker and from all the comments on the discussion forum on ESPN.com it seems like I missed a doozy of a performance by the U.S.!

Scar
06-23-2010, 01:28 PM
... I missed a doozy of a performance by the U.S.!Mostly but, USA came out with their trademark sloppy start and was lucky to not be down 1-0. They pretty much dominated the rest of the match, but couldn’t get the ball in the net… chance after chance after chance (well, except the one that was again mysteriously disallowed.) They deserved that win three times over, I’m very drained right now.

And this joke about the disallowed goal is one of the reasons why association football will never catch on over here.Need to reiterate… In talking with some casual fans most are (basicaly) saying “what’s the point in watching a soccer game when the refs can manipulate the game with no accountability?”

Let's go Germany!

Scar
06-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Let's go Germany!Actually, after looking at the group, the best for USA would be a Ghana win and then an outright win in the other match to knock Germany out and the USA would play either Serbia or Australia. But both those things aren't going to happen so... go Germany!

Ian
06-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Need to reiterate… In talking with some casual fans most are (basicaly) saying “what’s the point in watching a soccer game when the refs can manipulate the game with no accountability?”Well just remember ... in the USA that's called "basketball."

Davyjones
06-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Well just remember ... in the USA that's called "basketball."

LOL!!!!!:rotfl:

Great win by the US! Many of us were going crazy here at work!! Glad that the U.S. and England both made it through!! :thumbsup:

Excited to see who we'll be up against next!!!

:D

RAIDER
06-24-2010, 03:33 AM
Great results for England and the USA

England v Germany is going to be a stomper but if it goes to penalties we will be out

USA v Ghana and i think you have a brilliant chance to get through .....

Should be an excellent weekend ..Good luck all :thumbsup:

The Reservoir Dog
06-24-2010, 03:40 AM
By topping the group USA have an excellent chance to get to the Quarter Final.

England on the other hand have to meet the old foe Germany.

Cue endless showings of 1966 and the goal that never was. The penalty shootout heartbreaks of 1990 & 1996. However I always enjoy seeing the 5-1 drubbing we gave them on their own turf.:thumbsup:

Should be a great weekend.

Scar
06-24-2010, 04:38 PM
WOW! I wouldn't want to be in Italy tonight. :eek:

England v Germany is going to be a stomper but if it goes to penalties we will be out

USA v Ghana and i think you have a brilliant chance to get through .....

By topping the group USA have an excellent chance to get to the Quarter Final.

England on the other hand have to meet the old foe Germany.
Yea, huge difference between the top halves of those brackets. You get Germany and then (hopefully) either Argentina or Mexico. For US it's Ghana and Uruguay or S. Korea. Huge.

Giggy
06-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Disappointed England weren't able to win the group, we were poor against Algeria and didn't deserve any more than the 0-0. On the other hand I thought we should have won against USA in terms of performance and should have had more than 1-0 against Slovenia in a game where we could have scored 3 or 4. If we had managed to better either of those results we'd have topped the group and avoided Germany in the next round. That said USA can argue that it should have been 3-2 to them against Slovenia as they had what looked a perfectly good goal ruled out at the end after a very impressive comeback.

England v Germany is too close to call, in their opening game Germany looked scarily good but the defeat to Serbia shows they aren't invincible. I didn't see their game against Ghana so can't comment on the performance there. We have played them a lot of times over the years and it tends to go to extra time and penalties quite often, unfortunately we don't have a very good record at penalties. We did however beat them 5-1 in 2002 and of course won when we faced them in the final of 1966.

USA v Ghana will also be a close one. Neither team are particularly well known in terms of soccer and both will think they have an excellent chance to go through. If I had to make a prediction however then I think USA 2-1 Ghana.

Scar
06-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Embarrassing.

Ian
06-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Yeah I didn't get why the announcers kept talking about how the U.S. team could hold their heads up high and be proud ... I thought they played like absolute dirt against an inferior team.

They looked like they wanted to be just about anywhere else more than where they were.

Scar said it best ... embarrassing ...

Davyjones
06-26-2010, 07:46 PM
It looked like we left the defense back at our hotels for this match. Why is it that we need to allow the other team to score first before we decide to play? We did this the entire Cup. The best word I can use to describe our performance this tourney is inconsistent. Arrgghh.

I am disappointed, but I am also very proud of our guys! :thumbsup: It was a nerve wracking yet enjoyable Cup for me as a US supporter! At least my other team is still in it. It's up to you, Spain, to make me happy again!

The Reservoir Dog
06-27-2010, 02:06 AM
It looked like we left the defense back at our hotels for this match. Why is it that we need to allow the other team to score first before we decide to play? We did this the entire Cup. The best word I can use to describe our performance this tourney is inconsistent. Arrgghh.

I am disappointed, but I am also very proud of our guys! :thumbsup: It was a nerve wracking yet enjoyable Cup for me as a US supporter! At least my other team is still in it. It's up to you, Spain, to make me happy again!

A very poor defensive display for both goals Such a shame because I thought you were going to take them in the second half.

Let's hope England can defeat the old enemy today. The whole of England has been going crazy in anticipation to today's game.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!! :number1:

Scar
06-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Well, after a day to think about it, and after England's loss (sorry Mates,) the US needs to fire Bradley and hire Klinsmann before England does.

Give him whatever he wants.

Davyjones
06-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Well, after a day to think about it, and after England's loss (sorry Mates,) the US needs to fire Bradley and hire Klinsmann before England does.

Give him whatever he wants.

Sorry about the loss, England. Who knows how the goal that was taken away from you would've affected the rest of the match.

Although Klinsmann would be a solid choice for the U.S., I'm not sure if he would be the best. Really, I'm not sure who would be. What I do know is that we need a coach who doesn't have an American mindset to managing the team, but an international one. But I'm not sure who that person is. :confused:

RAIDER
06-28-2010, 03:36 AM
Well i suppose both sets of US and England fans are in a state of shock

USA even though you went a goal down i still thought you would come back and win it all i can think of is that the African crowd was there 12th man . Overall the USA have got to play at the start of a game ,in the frame of mind ,like they do when there 1-0 down

England were a shambles and Germany throughly deserved to win . I personally hope they dont sack Capello for it was the players who let him down in this tournament very badly . He got us to the finals with ease and to me that doesnt make him a bad manager overnight .
England now have an ageing team and its time for a clear out and build

Argentina look good ,but the dark horses for me are Holland ,who are playing as a team in this world cup for once

The Spain v Portugal game on tuesday should be a cracker

The Reservoir Dog
06-28-2010, 05:40 AM
OK. Where do I start. :thedolls:

England were a shambles. Regardless if that goal had stood we were played off the park.

Our players did nothing to enhance their reputations or justify the amount of money they earn. Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard etc have proved to us all that they are not world class as everyone seems to refer to them as. They have consistantly failed on the world stage.

As for Capello, I'm in two minds. He said that he will only pick players who are: 1. Playing regularly for their club. 2. Who are in form. 3. Will not take injured players.

Step forward Emile Hesky. Was not a regular starter for Aston Villa. Only scored 5 goals. Hardly form for an international striker.
Oh but hang on..... Rooney likes playing with him. Oh well, that's alright then. We can't upset Wayne can we???? :mad:

Darren Bent. Scored 24 goals for Sunderland and didn't get a look in.

Then there's the injured players. Gareth Barry. Hardly a world beater but Capello was insistsnt that we be part of the squad. Clearly not fully fit and clearly not good enough at this level.
As much as I like Ledley King and I believe when fit he is our best central defender he should have gone because of his persistant knee problems. He only lasted 45 mins against the USA and then came off injured.

The decision to bring Jamie Carragher after he had retired from international football was mindnumbing and showed the lack of depth of any good players. And that the fact he tried to get Paul Scholes at the 11th hour says it all.

Capello was brought in to change the way we played and the whole set up. The fact that Sven Goran Ericsson got further than the 2nd round on two occassion means that unfortunately I believe that Capello will be asked to leave which will be unfair because the players have let him down badly.

I think he should be given another chance to try and redeem himself for the European Championships and learn from the mistakes from this World Cup.

RAIDER
06-30-2010, 08:55 AM
my picks are these

Germany to beat Argentina ( i think the Germans will wind up the Argies and get them sent off ) and if it goes to penalaties the Germans always win

Spain to beat Paraguay
Holland to beat Brazil ... yes i know but i just have a feeling Hollands going to win the competition

Uraguay to beat Ghana

Davyjones
06-30-2010, 02:40 PM
my picks are these

Germany to beat Argentina ( i think the Germans will wind up the Argies and get them sent off ) and if it goes to penalaties the Germans always win

Spain to beat Paraguay
Holland to beat Brazil ... yes i know but i just have a feeling Hollands going to win the competition

Uraguay to beat Ghana

I agree with all those picks, Raider. The only one I have slight reservations about is the Holland-Brazil match. I think Holland has a slight edge, especially with Arjen Robben back, but Brazil is such a good team that it makes it a tough call. Got some good matches coming up!! :thumbsup:

C'mon Spain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

The Reservoir Dog
07-01-2010, 03:52 AM
I fancy Holland too but I think this game will go to extra time.

Extra time for Argentina v Germany as well and have been changing my mind on this one everyday. Right now I'm going for an Argentina win.

Spain to ease past Paraguay.

Again I'm going for a draw for Uruguay v Ghana with Uruguay winning on penalties.

RAIDER
07-03-2010, 02:33 AM
Well Holland beat the mighty Brazil ( as i predicted ) and sorry they must surely be in the final now after Uraguay just scrapping through against Ghana ,and how unlucky were they missing that penalty with seconds to spare !!!

I cant wait for the Argentina v Germany game later today :thumbsup:

Davyjones
07-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Germany 4- Argentina 0? I thought Germany would win, but not by such a large margin. The Spain-Paraguay match was crazy in the second half!! 2 penalties within, what, 1-2 minutes of each other? Both were stopped!!! What a frantic last few minutes that was! But my team got through, so I'm happy!!! :D

Semis are all set now then! Uruguay-Netherlands and Spain-Germany!!! A rematch of the Euro 2008 final!! Who you guys got??

La Furia Roja!!!!!!!:D:D:D

RAIDER
07-04-2010, 04:50 AM
Davy

I fancy the obvious on this game
Holland to beat Uraguay ( Holland are at last playing as a team and Uraguay are going to be knackered after the Ghana game )

Germany to beat Spain ...( Germany are on a roll now and i really think Spain will be on the defensive scared of a counter attack which is not their natural game )

Advnt05
07-07-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm going against the octopus and going with Germany. Spain looks good early though.

Davyjones
07-07-2010, 06:49 PM
La Furia Roja!!!!!! :D The last 15 minutes was gut wrenching for me, to put it mildly! Nobody marking Puyol on the header!! Next up: The Orange!! I hope we can do it again!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

RAIDER
07-08-2010, 03:18 AM
What happened to Germany last night ...No show ....However they were beaten by the better team by far ...A good game ..

Ok i am going for a Holland win with the score of 2-1....
I have said for ages that i have a feeling they will win the competition as at last a dutch team is actually playing as one ....

Lets hope its a good final on Sunday :thumbsup:

Davyjones
07-08-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm going, of course, for a Spain win! I rarely guess on scores and I won't change that here. ;) I think Spain's midfield and control will be the key. And I'm hoping Torres (Liverpool's #9!!!) will finally break his duck and score during this match. I think it will be a good final, but maybe that's because my team's in it! :D

Good luck to both teams!! :thumbsup:

The Reservoir Dog
07-10-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm going for 2-1 Spain.

I don't want Arjen Robben getting a winners medal. He is a disgrace to the game with his diving and play acting. :mad:

EPCOT84
07-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Congrats to Spain but I have to say it was full of sloppy play. Anyway, time to tuck away the Vuvuzelas for awhile.. :party:

Davyjones
07-11-2010, 11:09 PM
La Furia Roja!!!! Congrats to Spain!! The Dutch looked like they wanted to try to bully Spain into losing today, but luckily that didn't work!! The better team won today!! :D Thank the stars I picked them to win it all at the beginning of the tourney.

By the way, what was up with De Jong's flying kick into Alonso's chest? Why wasn't he sent off??!?!?

Can't wait for World Cup 2014!!!!!! :D:D

RAIDER
07-12-2010, 03:20 AM
Congrats to Spain as well, the better team won by far even though i was secretly hoping for penalties :D

I just hope FIFA learn from this world cup and bring in goal line technolgy and punish players for diving . :thumbsup:

The Reservoir Dog
07-12-2010, 04:05 AM
Thankfully Spain won. The Dutch were very disappointing even though they had the better chances. If they had just played football we would have had a better game and a couple of goals.

After the two exciting semi finals and the 3rd/4th play off, this game was pretty dull in comparison.

Well Done Spain :thumbsup:

Davyjones
07-12-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm going to miss the World Cup. :( Thank God there's always SOME football being played all year round.

Euro 2012, anyone? ;)

RAIDER
07-12-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm going to miss the World Cup. :( Thank God there's always SOME football being played all year round.

Euro 2012, anyone? ;)

My monies on the Germans for that competition already :D

Dont worry Davy ...The prem league starts in 4 weeks time

BigBaloo
07-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Was anything done special at the World Showcase during the games? Would be kind of cool if the games had been broadcast there.....

Scar
07-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Was anything done special at the World Showcase during the games? Would be kind of cool if the games had been broadcast there.....

I can't think of one TV in WS. Also most of the games were played prior to WS opening, only the night games (2:30 EDT) would have worked. ESPN Club, a short walk away certainly showed the games and I even think I read that they opened early (10:00 AM) to show those games.

BigBaloo
07-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Would have been cool to watch England/Germany game there.... Could hear the countries cheer from across bay lake at each other.... Then again w/ all the kids there it might not be a good idea :mickey: