PDA

View Full Version : packing...just a thought

homeschool mom
05-07-2010, 09:15 AM
We are leaving for WDW one week from Sunday! :party: I am so excited; I can hardly stand it!

We are a family of 7 and all I can think of is packing. I have done this so many times before, but now I am getting a little intimidated. You would think it would get easier the more times I do it! I went out and bought new socks and underwear for everyone who needs them so I don't have to do laundry while we are there (always have in the past, but passing on that option this trip), and I think everyone has enough clothes, but my "little" boys have grown so much over the past year and we are just starting to get the shorts out of storage here in PA.... I think I've spent enough $$$ on vacation preparation to have brought another person along for the trip!

So much to think about and so little time. It's a good problem to have, right! :mickey:

cer
05-07-2010, 09:31 AM
So excited for you! I understand about the packing. It can be so overwhelming!

faline
05-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Good luck with all that packing! I'm sure it will all be worthwhile! :mickey:

disneymom15
05-07-2010, 09:37 AM
It's a great problem to have. Wish I had it. Have to wait til Dec, UNLESS....(maybe, just maybe-I can slip away for a long weekend)

Mickey'sGirl
05-07-2010, 09:45 AM
We did the shorts/bathing suit sizing last week. For a change our eldest doesn't need much (he's just getting taller and leaner), but our little guy has grown 3 sizes since the fall and I needed to buy him EVERYTHING!! We're leaving two weeks today, and we aren't telling the boys, so I'm trying to get our packing done all surreptitiously to boot!

You have a terrific problem! ;) I hope you have a fabulous holiday!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-08-2010, 11:45 PM
I can sympathize! I have a hard enough time packing for one person.

pdrlkr
05-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Have a Magical Vacation! :tink:

Rekenna
05-09-2010, 09:16 PM
We are a family of 5 and I agree I spend enough $ in the "pre-packing" phase that I could probably lenghten our trip! I have plastic bins for our bathroom stuff (this only works if you are driving). I lay out the 2 little boys clothes as outfit sets (their clothes are small and I can usually fit all of their things in 1 suitcase). But then for them it's blankets, toys, sippy cups, bibs, double stroller, stroller fans, activities while in line, etc. Little people need so much stuff!!!

I start laying things out in my closet months ahead of time. I clip coupons for "vacation items". I save promotional gift cards and make 1 large trip to Target or Walmart.

It can be very stressful, but then I always find I overpack and have stressed myself out for no reason. Driving for us helps some b/c I can pack whatever I want, but flying would probably keep me in check!

Good luck, they can always wear the same clothes again if you forget anything. I find that the things I think are important at home in regards to vacation seem quite trite while on vacation-we are having too much fun to worry about all that stuff.

Have fun! It will work out!:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
05-09-2010, 10:02 PM
I pack for a family of five and we fly so packing can be a daunting task. I start weeks ahead of time, and I always overpurchase new items for our trip. I don't know why I feel people need new things when we travel, but I do. And I pack a pharmacy for any possible ailment that may come up. And we have used many of those things on our trips believe me! Fevers, allergies, bug bites, rashes, nausea, we have gotten it all. I am always prepared for any extreme weather condition, and I am always prepared if we should happen to have spills or accidents on the plane and need a change of clothes. I know I over prepare, but thats just who I am, it comforts me to know I have all the bases covered. I have no packing advice, only to tell you I check and recheck before we leave. Think and rethink!! I exhaust myself. Until those bags are sealed, packing is an active daily job up until we leave. You'll get it all done, and like you said, what a great problem to have!

princessgirls
05-10-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm like Lisa...I'm a packer!! Some new outfits always makes me happy!

Always bring a lot of different over the counter medicines, creams, band-aids, etc.

Have a GREAT trip!

Julie:mickey:

forever a child
05-10-2010, 03:01 PM
I am right there with you. Just shipped our package out today to POP with bottled water, cola's bath supplies ect. But I am starting to stress about everything else! We are flying and will NOT have a rental vehicle...so if we need it that we have to buy it there (if we forgot to take it):( Don't really want to pay Disney prices because I was not organized/prepared...so there are tons of lists going on! :D But hopefully everything will be remembered! We did buy some new clothes items..but needed them anyway;)

LudwigVonDrake
05-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Have a great trip :tink:

mickeys_princess_mom
05-10-2010, 07:02 PM
I am right there with you. Just shipped our package out today to POP with bottled water, cola's bath supplies ect. But I am starting to stress about everything else! We are flying and will NOT have a rental vehicle...so if we need it that we have to buy it there (if we forgot to take it):( Don't really want to pay Disney prices because I was not organized/prepared...so there are tons of lists going on! :D But hopefully everything will be remembered! We did buy some new clothes items..but needed them anyway;)

I'm a list girl, too! Always buy a cute little notebook and work on the list for weeks before we go. Makes a fun memento later on when I run across it and enjoy thinking about that trip. I usually buy some new things, too--just makes it seem more like a vacation to have new PJ's or some new shirts. :shop:

magicalmom
05-10-2010, 08:49 PM
I always pack two of those pop-up laundry hampers from the dollar store - they take up almost no space. We use them for dark and light laundry loads, and then wash just before we leave - clean clothes take up less space than dirty ones on the way home, and we're not having to deal w/ laundry when we get home. And, if we need a tiny bit of extra packing space for souvenirs, I don't mind leaving $2 worth of laundry hampers in Florida. :mickey: