PDA

View Full Version : Phillies Hall of Fame pitcher Robin Roberts dies at 83

Hammer
05-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Hall of Fame pitcher Roberts dies at 83
Right-hander won 20-plus games six straight years for Phillies
By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com

Hall of Fame pitcher Robin Roberts, who spent 19 years in the big leagues, mostly with the Phillies, died on Thursday from natural causes in his Temple Terrace, Fla., home. He was 83.
Roberts broke in with Philadelphia at the age of 21 in June 1948 and proceeded to spend 14 seasons with the club. During his tenure there, he was named to seven consecutive All-Star teams and finished in the top 10 in MVP voting five times. He went 234-199 with the Phillies and finished his career, with the Cubs in 1966, with a record of 286-245.

Roberts won 20 games for the first time in 1950 as part of the Phillies team commonly known as the Whiz Kids. That season was the only time Roberts appeared in postseason play.

While his best years were in Philadelphia, Roberts pitched for five more seasons, spending parts of four seasons with the Baltimore Orioles before moving on to the Astros and Cubs. When he called it a career, he had a 3.41 ERA and 2,357 strikeouts.

In addition to the seven All-Star Game appearances, Roberts led the National League in wins four times and topped the league in strikeouts twice. He won 20 games six times, with a 25-victory season occurring in 1952. Roberts gained a reputation for giving up home runs and his 505 home runs allowed is the most given up by any pitcher.

Roberts was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1976 and was a mainstay at the annual induction ceremonies. Roberts coached the University of South Florida baseball team from 1977-1985.

"Dad didn't miss a Phillies game on television, including [Wednesday] night," said his son, Jim. "He really loved this team and was so thrilled that he was included in the World Series festivities the last two years.

"He'd sit there and would comment, 'Did you see Jimmy make that play? ... Chase can really play this game ... My man Jayson is some kind of an athlete ... Did you see that change-up from Cole? ... How strong is Ryan? ... Roy makes pitching look so easy and it isn't ... I wish I had Brad's slider ... Shane can fly, can't he?"

Roberts is survived by four sons, Robin Jr., Dan, Rick and Jimmy; one brother, John; seven grandchildren and one great-grandson. Funeral arrangements are pending.

Ian
05-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Sheesh .... it's been a rough couple of years for the Phillies ... Tugger, Harry, and now Roberts. There's others I'm forgetting, too. Davy Lopes' Dad, etc.

It's like they've burned all their good karma on winning the World Series ...

PirateLover
05-07-2010, 02:46 PM
It really actually warms my heart to see how much he still loved the Phillies and how the organization continued to involve him in activities. I was at the World Series game where he threw out a Ceremonial first pitch, and the crowd just went wild for him. He was a beloved figure, and probably my Grandfather's favorite Phillies player of all-time. Rest in peace, Robin.

Hammer
05-07-2010, 03:07 PM
It really actually warms my heart to see how much he still loved the Phillies and how the organization continued to involve him in activities. I was at the World Series game where he threw out a Ceremonial first pitch, and the crowd just went wild for him. He was a beloved figure, and probably my Grandfather's favorite Phillies player of all-time. Rest in peace, Robin.

Yeah, not only the Phillies, but he seemed to be involved with the Rays as well, as he lived in the area. I was watching the Rays game in Seattle last night (I have MLB Extra Innings as I am a baseball fanatic) and the announcers for the Rays were talking about him. We had heard he had watch the Phillies game the night before he died, but it was not publicized was he they watched the Rays game right afterwards. Seems he had many friends in the Rays organization as well.