PDA

View Full Version : Castle Decorating

xo0ally
05-05-2010, 02:02 PM
I remember a few years ago Disney decorated Cinderella's castle with candy and it was pink i think it was them celebrating how many years its been open. I also remember another year it was decorated in gold statues. Any one have any pictures of the castle decorations from those years or any other time it was decorated? :mickey:

Julie_Mouse
05-05-2010, 02:26 PM
I was there during both of the times you mentioned! Looking back, the 'gold trim' castle was really subtle in comparison to the 'cake' castle :funny:

I wasn't really impressed with the 'cake' castle decor when I was at WDW during the 25th anniversary celebration, and even now I'm not really impressed with it. I guess I think it looked a bit... tacky? Not sure if that's the right word :shrug:. Anyway, although I can't find any of my personal photos ATM, if you google "WDW cinderella castle cake" and click on the wikipedia entry, there is a picture of it (not sure if I'm allowed to post the link :blush:)

xo0ally
05-05-2010, 02:29 PM
thanks for the info will be looking that up in a few minutes. I sort of agree with the tackyness of the cake castle but i remember thinking it was kind of creative. Aside from those two castle decorations i don't remember any other times they decorated the castle.

Figment!
05-05-2010, 02:32 PM
The castle was turned into a pink birthday cake for the 25h Anniversary of Walt Disney World.

The castle was adorn with the gold statues and a magic mirror for the Happiest Celebration on Earth(50th anniversary of Disneyland/Disney Parks/Walt's invention of the Theme Park).

The 25th anniversary started before the birth of this site, but we do have a section on The Happiest Celebration on Earth.

The Happiest Celebration on Earth (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/../news/happiest/default.asp)

diz_girl
05-05-2010, 02:44 PM
I was there both times and the pink cake was hideous, while the gold decorations were realtively tasteful. I think that WDW learned their lesson with the pink cake. Some people cancelled their weddings because they didn't want that cake in the background. What happens with people's memories is that over time they think that it wasn't that bad. Then they see a picture of it and realize it was that awful. Pictures of that cake still make me shudder.

cer
05-05-2010, 02:45 PM
There was also a Stitch castle when they opened Stitch's Great Escape.

Ricbr
05-05-2010, 02:47 PM
I went about a few months before the castle was turned into a cake. I brought my girlfriend at the time (Now wife) and was so excited to show her main street for the first time. Talk about disappointing.....to walk into the kingdom only to see a giant pink castle. Ughhhh. It was no where near completed. I had no idea what they were doing until a few days later. But for our entire trip it was just the regular castle painted pink :(

I did read about another time it was decorated though. When Stitch was introduced. They had the castle covered with toilet paper and some grafiti on the sides of the wall that said things like "Stitch Rules"

It was only for 1 day though I believe :)

PopPhan
05-05-2010, 02:53 PM
I remember a few years ago Disney decorated Cinderella's castle with candy and it was pink i think it was them celebrating how many years its been open. I also remember another year it was decorated in gold statues. Any one have any pictures of the castle decorations from those years or any other time it was decorated? :mickey:

Here is one from the 2005 (Gold) edition:

http://s434.photobucket.com/albums/qq66/BLuskus/WDW%20Sept%202005/?action=view&current=100_0365.jpg

goofyfan4466
05-05-2010, 04:18 PM
is it decorated right now for any kind of celebration ?

xo0ally
05-05-2010, 04:58 PM
What happens with people's memories is that over time they think that it wasn't that bad. Then they see a picture of it and realize it was that awful. Pictures of that cake still make me shudder.

I agree from my memory it did not seem that bad but when i looked at it online i did realize how awful it actually was. Good spot there.:thumbsup:

disneymom2000
05-05-2010, 10:42 PM
My absolute favorite is when they decorate it for Christmas. It is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. :santa:

Julie_Mouse
05-05-2010, 11:17 PM
I think that WDW learned their lesson with the pink cake. Some people cancelled their weddings because they didn't want that cake in the background.

Wow, really?! I don't mean these people were being unreasonable, because I would have cancelled too, but I didn't know other people felt as strongly as I did :D I think you're right, they did learn their lesson, since they've never attempted anything quite as elaborate since then :funny:

Good to know I'm not the only one that thought it was tacky :ack:

Figment!
05-05-2010, 11:43 PM
is it decorated right now for any kind of celebration ?No, it is not.

eeyorepoohfan
05-06-2010, 12:00 PM
I saw the castle look "normal" on my visit when I was 11 or 12. I thought it was amazing! I went back after my high school graduation and it was the pink birthday cake! I remember looking at it and thinking, "wow, that's different" but a little disappointed. When my hubby and I went in December it was back to its beautiful glory and had the amazing Christmas lights! When I walked down Main Street, it had been 12 years since my last WDW trip. I literally got choked up to see how amazing the regular castle looked!! I don't think they should really change the castle much, it's too iconic to mess with! :mickey:

crmark1
05-06-2010, 09:22 PM
I am 48 years old and the first site of the Castle when I walk onto Main Street still gets me choked up. I cant think of any other place that evokes that response in me.

DisneyLuver91
05-06-2010, 11:07 PM
I loooooved the gold decorations! I just thought they were so tasteful and really brought the Disney spirit. I hope they do something like that again!

TheVBs
05-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Saw the 2005 decorations and thought they were fun! Never knew about the Stitch decorations or ever saw the cake castle. I always thought people were exaggerating about how bad the cake castle looked. Well I saw a picture while I was looking for a picture of the Stitch castle. No exaggeration! The cake castle was truly horrible!

Jeri Lynn
05-07-2010, 08:44 AM
I love the castle in its original glory and with the Christmas lights which I wish they would keep on all year round.

I did not like it decorated like the pink birthday cake.

Hopefully they will never mess with it too much again!

Imagineer1981
05-07-2010, 11:34 AM
I actually liked the castles having the golden statues and wished they would stay a permanent fixture, but they didn't and thats ok too

magicalmom
05-07-2010, 07:51 PM
DDs adored the pink cake castle . . . of course, they were ages one and three at the time;)

WishesFan13
05-07-2010, 09:01 PM
OK so I saw the cake castle and when it had the gold figures, but i had no idea Stitch trashed the castle. I just did an image search and found the pic. I'm sure quite a few people weren't happy about it, but i think it's great. Of course, I am a huge Stitch fan.

Harriet
05-09-2010, 10:44 AM
I actually liked the castles having the golden statues and wished they would stay a permanent fixture, but they didn't and thats ok too

I would not mind that too much as long as they get ride of that so called Magic Mirror in front of it. That was the part I did not like about the Gold decorations. As for the Birthday Cake I agree it was terrible. When I saw it I was sick. Who ever came up with that idea had to be out of their minds.

I can't wait to see the Dream Casle this November.

xo0ally
05-09-2010, 05:39 PM
i had no idea they were decorating the castle this november! i can't wait to see it...not that i'm going but still.:mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
05-12-2010, 07:32 AM
I wish they would just take down all the lighting and props in front for the shows. Could well do without that. Pure castle works for me.

debandbub
05-12-2010, 10:33 AM
That's funny what the PP said about the pink castle not looking so bad in memory, but looking at pictures REALLY brings back how hideous it was! I laughed out loud when I just looked online. I guess I am more of a traditionalist in that way, too.
154 days and I get to see it in person! YEA!

diz_girl
05-12-2010, 12:45 PM
I wish they would just take down all the lighting and props in front for the shows. Could well do without that. Pure castle works for me.

:ditto:

Our first trip back since the castle cake abomination was during the week leading up to the Night of Joy in 2005. When I got there the stage and lighting were a distraction, and it was disappointing not to be able to see the castle again as it should be. Subsequent trips were better, but not like it should be.

xoHelloKittyox
05-12-2010, 02:09 PM
My first trip was durring the 'cake castle'
I remember the tops blowing around since it was all basically inflatable.

from a kids eye it was AWESOME! A huge cake?! HECK YES!
As a adult...tacky lol
It's all about the kids thought right?:party: