PDA

View Full Version : This is getting frustrating

sydzach
05-05-2010, 09:29 AM
We know when we are going to Disney, I have been in contact with MJ and Denise has been awesome but now, my MIL is putting a monkey wrench in our plans. My wife has her heart set on staying on property but we have the party of 5 with MIL coming along, which means we need two rooms, the Music suite or the small extra bed at POR. Also, the free dining was announced until Oct 2nd, I got a pin yesterday for 20% off value resort until mid/late August can't remember exact date, and of course neither apply to our November dates.

Part of me wants to just say forget staying on property since we have the party of 5, 3 adults. Not to mention we are on a tight budget and my wife will not have a job come August 1st, unless she gets rehired-she is a teacher but due to budget cuts does not have a job past her contract date which ends July 31st. Not to mention we LOVE going to the parks and spend 90% of our time at the parks or just sleeping in our beds. But part of me wants to stay on property and take advantage of the perks of staying on property. Why does making a decision have to be so draining. Sorry, this was more a vent than a question but I am growing more frustrated. I wish they would put the November calendar out so I could see what the extra park hours would be, maybe that will help us make a decision.

DisneyMomx2
05-05-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm sorry it is becoming such a hassle but just remember that it will all be worth it in the end when you get there. :)

faline
05-05-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm sure you'll sort it all out and it will work out just fine!

Darbylew
05-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Sorry things are not going as you want them to
go but maybe things will turn around for you.
I hope so. Whatever you decide I know you will
have a wonderful time at WDW. :mickey:

VWL Mom
05-05-2010, 09:52 AM
The November calendar is out. You need to go to the individual park and click on calendar from the left hand bar. It does not appear in the drop down under park hours yet.

sydzach
05-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks everyone for your posts, I know it will work out but I was about to book and then my wife gets a call from her Mom and she has started playing around on the computer looking for deals. We have been saving for this trip and should have it paid before we leave but now with the MIL involved, it has just caused me frustration. Also, the fact I know we could really be in a budget crunch come November if my wife is not working, it does make you question spending the extra money to stay on property.

I will look at the calendars now, I have been waiting for that information on the main page here thinking it would be announced very soon.

Tygger7
05-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Just have faith & try to relax...everything will work out, one way or another.

I did think of something though...when you're comparing the cost of staying offsite vs. onsite, don't forget to add in parking. I believe it's up to $14 a day now, and that's one less expense if you stay onsite.

Aurora's Mom
05-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Oh, how I understand what you're going thru and feel your pain.

I am a die-hard fan and have never considered staying off site before--till this past March.

We rented a 3 bedroom condo that was very close to WDW and had a wonderful experience.

We also spend most all of our time in the parks so it really worked out well for us. The drive back and forth from the parks was no more than waiting on a bus and maybe 5 minutes longer than driving our own car back to a WDW resort.

I have never been in November so I can't speak to the crowds or the benefits of extra magic hours, but don't be scared of staying offsite.

We had a wonderful time and saved a lot of money and stayed in really nice accomodations. As a matter of fact, we saved enough that we were able to buy annual passes instead of myw passes and have booked another trip for this year--two in one year--still for less than what 1 one-week trip usually costs for us.

Now, I don't want to always stay offsite, I love being immersed in Disney, but for a week's trip or more, it's not a bad idea. We were there when the parks opened and there when they closed. Fabulous trip!

It'll work out.

clausjo
05-05-2010, 11:36 AM
I agree with Aurora's Mom, I've stayed both on site and off site and, while it is nice to be on site, off site can be just as good. I'm going in June for a quick couple of days with my daughter for a baby shower and we're staying offsite. The hotel is in the downtown disney area and cost next to nothing. It has a kitchenette so we can have breakfast without any problem. I'll be saving so much money, I've decided to treat her dinner at crystal palace!

diz_girl
05-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Stick with MJ and book a room-only reservation. You can always cancel if you need to and get your deposit back (if you cancel within 5 days of your stay). If you haven't told the kids already, don't, in case you have to cancel. As for your MIL horning in on the reservation process, just tell her that you will be booking with MJ, since they will be on the lookout for the best deal for you, even after your make your reservation. You can also inform her that most other agencies don't do that, so that's why you want to go with MJ, instead of the best 'deal' that she can find of the Internet.

It also helps to have a AAA membership, as some rooms have AAA rates, and a Disney Visa CC, who generally get first crack at a new discount before the general public.

Good luck!

CU Tiger
05-05-2010, 12:56 PM
If you want to save a little cash and not get two rooms, check out the FW cabins. We sleep 6 there every year and love it. I believe one cabin will be cheaper than two rooms. Just a though that might help you out.:mickey:

sydzach
05-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the tip, I will do some research on the cabins, my SIL and BIL are camping at the campgrounds, they got a spot and are paying $50 per night for hookup. I assume the cabins are in the same general area as the campgrounds and by staying it the cabin, you get the same Disney perks?

CU Tiger
05-05-2010, 06:07 PM
The cabins are in FW in their own section that is relativily close to the camp sites. Some are right next to them. The cabins are considered a Disney resort and you get full benifits as any other resort. Actually, I feel there is more to do in FW. I also love the location and being able to take the boat to MK or the other hotels. What hotel can you sit on the deck, have a beverage of choice:beer::marg:, while you kids are riding bikes or playing outside? Also, having a back bedroom means you do not have to go to bed when the kids do.:mickey:

cajunmickey
05-05-2010, 09:39 PM
I know how your wife feels. I to am in education and with the cuts was not sure if I had a job come August.We had just booked our trip to celebrated DD graduation(May 12). My prayers were answered and my job will be saved for this year. Things have a way of working out. I sent you a private message that may help.:mickey:

Bass T-bone
05-07-2010, 11:02 AM
All Star Vacation Home?

eandrsmom
05-09-2010, 12:35 PM
We just returned last night, and stayed off-site this time. We are a family of 6, and stayed in a 2 bedroom villa off site. The savings was SUBSTANCIAL, and we will be doing it again. I chose a villa within 2 miles of Disney property. We drove, so I do think that having a car makes a difference. On several occasions, we noted that driving was much faster than using the Disney Transportation System. At this point, I think we'd be hard pressed to stay on site again, unless we got a really good deal on a Disney villa. As far as parking fees, the $98.00 that we spent for 7 days of parking, paled in comparison to what we saved on lodging.

Goofster
05-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Well, here are some options:

1) Cut MIL from the trip;
2) Stay at FW Cabins (a great alternative);
3) Stay offsite; or
4) Cancel your trip.

Obviously, you probably don't want to do Nos. 1 and 4 (well, I'm assuming you don't want to do No. 1) ;) If money is an issue, then FW Cabins might be pricey for you.

If it comes down to not going or staying off site, the decision should be easy! Have fun!