PDA

View Full Version : Lady's Perspective -- Lettripp and Plex's April Break, Day 1

lettripp
05-04-2010, 08:59 PM
I know this is coming late but I am finally going to begin my perspective on mine and Plex's (Paul's) vacation to WDW!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The trip started off well with a visit to Weekie Wachee and introducing Paul (the fiance) to my grandmother. We enjoyed a relaxing day on the river before departing for our rather packed Disney trip!

We rented a convertible for this trip. I had heard my father did it one time and have always been curious about how it would enhance the experience... and it totally did. I think my favorite convertible experience was driving from the airport and discovering the E-Street Band station on Sirius satellite radio! Sadly, we left the convertible once we arrived at the Beach Club because our plan was to utilize Disney transportation for every need.

This was only my second experience with a Deluxe resort, and my last was when I was much younger. We booked at the Beach Club because we wanted the close walking distance to our favorite park (Epcot) and wanted to celebrate our engagement in style!

At check in, we asked for the complimentary upgrade and after they went to look and see what was available, we were told our room was just as good as the upgraded rooms, but bigger! We were given our "Just Engaged" buttons and they handed me a pink rose on my way to the room :-)

Paul went to drop off the car and I went upstairs to unpack. Our room was seriously far from the lobby, but once I got there I knew the walk was worth it! We had a corner room with a view of the pool AND the Boardwalk. I unpacked, took pictures of the Mickey towel arrangement and relaxed for a bit while waiting for Paul to get back. As soon as he arrived, we grabbed our stuff and headed out the door with our first destination in mind: MK!!

As far as this trip is concerned, I didn't believe we were at Walt Disney World until I saw the castle. We came around the train station on the left side, walked around the loop (taking in the sights), and hugged the corner of a shop as we headed down Main Street. Once I looked up and the castle emerged, I LITERALLY started skipping and smiling.

We took our pictures and walked down Main Street. We knew that the crowds were going to be massive, so we decided to attack the park from left to right, and hit the rides who's lines we're unbearable. Our first stop was the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House, which is cool for a view of the park, but that's about it. Once we came down, we toyed with the idea of our first Dole Whips EVER, but passed because of an epic line and made way for Pirates instead. I swear, there is nothing like the smell of chlorine on a water ride to get one in the Disney spirit!

We meandered around the park that afternoon and evening, hitting our favorite rides. We only managed to ride HALF of Splash Mountain before dinner, because the ride broke down and we were evacuated right before the "laughing place." I borrowed a Flip camera from school for this trip and turned it on as soon as I realized what was going on. I interviewed people in the surrounding boats and commented on the coincidence that my sister and parents had been stuck in the SAME SPOT on Splash during their last trip. I managed to take video until someone noticed what I was doing and announced that video equipment must be turned off. At this point we walked out through backstage (saw where the floats are stored) and got handed our first free fast pass of the trip.

Eventually, we made our way out of the park for our reservations at California Grille. Now, I am bad with directions but imagine what a loop it was to find the "lobby" on another floor than the restaurant. We found it eventually and were taken upstairs. Honestly, as soon as I saw the view I lost my breath. I have never seen The World from that perspective before, and I have been going to Disney for YEARS. It was truly breathtaking.

Our waiter was AMAZING and it turns out he is from the town next to where Paul grew up. He sat down at our table and was extremely personable. I was excited to try the sushi and he recommended the shrimp tempura roll even though it wasn't on the menu. OMG it was so good. I think this may be my favorite signature dining location that I've tried so far.

We watched the fireworks, ate our desert and headed back into MK for EMH. I was sad and surprised to see that many of the rides still had obscene lines (like Space Mountain) but it was ok -- we rode Splash Mountain twice in a row and walked hand in hand through the park, enjoying the music and general atmosphere. We got on BTM in the back at night which is ALWAYS fun. Unfortunately I wasn't feeling very well for much of the evening but Paul was a big sport and picked up a sweatshirt and a Dole Whip for me :-) Oh yea, Dole Whips will totally be a new tradition for us.

We stayed at MK until around 1:45 before we realized we hit everything we wanted and headed back to the hotel for bed.

UP NEXT: Day 2 at Disney Studious

faline
05-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Long, first day! Glad you enjoyed your first California Grill dining experience!

pdrlkr
05-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

KylesMom
05-04-2010, 11:58 PM
I'm glad to see the trip from your perspective. I hope Grandmother liked Paul! :D

Your room location was spot-on, and your first day sounds absolutely magical.
Once I looked up and the castle emerged, I LITERALLY started skipping and smiling. Isn't it amazing what one look at the castle can do?

So happy you enjoyed your dinner at Cali Grill. Evening EMH really can get crowded, though, can't it? Hope you're feeling better tomorrow - the new Dole Whip tradition should create a little extra magic for you.

Thanks for sharing your side - looking forward to the next one! :mickey:

vizsla
05-05-2010, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the report.

cer
05-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Congratulations on your first Dole Whip! :mickey:

What a great start, love that you got a great room!

yjgirl32
05-05-2010, 08:44 AM
This is very neat to read both your reviews and see each others perspectives of the days. Thanks for sharing.

mouseketeer mom
05-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Your room view sounds wonderful!! A terrific first day.:thumbsup:

artyboy
05-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks for posting!

DisneyorBust
05-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Great first day! Thanks for the report.

Pocahontas
05-07-2010, 12:28 PM
You have me craving a Dole Whip!

Fun first day, but sorry you weren't feeling very well that evening.:(

Thanks for the report!:mickey:

pink
05-11-2010, 06:07 PM
I have a flip too! Sometimes people look at me so strangley when I am talking to a camera haha but it's for Youtube. I'm glad you had a fun time. :mickey: