PDA

View Full Version : Long time Detroit Tigers Announcer Ernie Harwell- update with viewing details

alphamommy
05-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Ernie Harwell, the voice of the Detroit Tigers, passed away today after a year-long battle with cancer. :cry:

I know that others who have lost beloved announcers in recent years will understand the hole this leaves in the hearts of Tigers fans everywhere. Ernie provided the soundtrack to my childhood summers, when his sweet voice would tell us when the ball was "LOOONNNGG Gone!"

We love you, Ernie, and will miss you!

deedeebee
05-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I grew up with him on the radio, and felt like I was at the game. He will be missed by many :crying:

Jeff
05-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Like most Michigan Tiger fans I too "spent" many many hours with Ernie. He had such a great voice; soothing yet exciting at the same time!

He was a true professional and he will be missed by many.

"For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."

Good bye Ernie.

Madame Leona
05-04-2010, 09:56 PM
I grew up listening to him. It's such a huge loss.

Hammer
05-04-2010, 11:08 PM
The Phillies announcers announced this during our game. Both Chris Wheeler and Tom McCarthy shared really great Ernie Harwell stories, as I'm sure happened on other teams' broadcasts (I'm sure they'll be adding some of these to the MLB website within the next couple of days).

As a fan of a team who also lost their beloved announcer last year, we know your pain. I like to think that all of these great announcers are up there in heaven and God has a broadcasters' booth for them where they call games for their team. So take heart, Tiger fans, Ernie will still be making his iconic calls for your Tigers, just as Harry Kalas still does for the Phillies. You will always hear them in your heart.

Hammer
05-05-2010, 11:29 AM
This is only fitting that Ernie Harwell receive the same goodbye as Jack Buck and Harry Kalas

Public viewing for Ernie Harwell Thursday at Comerica Park
05/04/2010 11:08 PM ET
MLB.com

DETROIT -- A public viewing for Ernie Harwell will be held at Comerica Park on Thursday, May 6 starting at 7 a.m. The viewing will be located at Gate A, with the public invited to pay respects to the Hall of Fame broadcaster. Following the wishes of Mr. Harwell, there will not be a public memorial, and funeral services will be private.
Mr. Harwell is survived by his wife, Lulu, his four children: William Harwell, Gray Harwell, Caroline Raley, and Julie Harwell, and his seven grandchildren, and seven great grandchildren.

To further the endowment of the Ernie Harwell Collection at the Detroit Public Library and to fund partial college scholarships, please send memorial donations to the Ernie Harwell Foundation c/o S. Gary Spicer, 16845 Kercheval Ave., Grosse Pointe, MI 48230.

Complimentary parking for the viewing will be available in Lots 1, 2 and 3.

alphamommy
05-06-2010, 02:01 AM
Thanks to Hammer for posting the details of the viewing at Comerica Park on Thursday. I wish that Tiger Stadium was still standing, for that would have been the perfect place for that event.

There's an Ernie memorial group on Facebook that someone posted a great comment to: Ernie is now the announcer for the Angels!