PDA

View Full Version : River country?

xo0ally
05-04-2010, 04:51 PM
I some how stumbled upon a website that was talking about Disney's forgotten water park called river country. I am a pretty big disney fan and in all my years going there i never heard of River country or this water park at all. Is it on Disney property or off-site? And if it is a Disney water park what is the deal with it and where was it located?

Seasonscraps
05-04-2010, 04:54 PM
It was the original water park on Disney property. It was located in or around where Ft Wilderness Lodge is now.

paragon
05-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Yes, It was the ORIGINAL waterpark. It was themed like an old country watring hole, with a waterslide built into a hillside. Actually, some of the park is still visible, from Bay Lake. If you were on a watercraft, you can still see some of it. It was closed due to health reasons, the water used was from the lake, and has way too much bacteria in it. You can also see some of the waterpark if you use google earth.

xo0ally
05-04-2010, 05:16 PM
good to know thanks!

faline
05-04-2010, 06:48 PM
River Country is just a short walk from Pioneer Hall in Fort Wilderness. We spent some really fun times there way back when. There was a large swimming pool, a few slides that ended in another pool, and something similar to a ropes course (a misstep ended with a plunge in the water below). It was all pretty tame by today's water park standards but I really enjoyed the low key relaxation of this spot!

Tygger7
05-05-2010, 08:29 AM
You can still see the remains of River Country right by Ft. Wilderness. The WL was not built over it...it's on the opposite side of Ft. Wilderness from the WL. I absolutely LOVED River Country and went there many times over the years. I really wish they would have at least kept the pool...they could have just closed the rides/attractions that used the lake and still had another nice pool for the campground.

DVC2004
05-05-2010, 08:38 AM
It was open for years! I wish I had gotten to go. I know when we first started going as to WDW as adults it closed...:(

clausjo
05-05-2010, 08:51 AM
We only went to River Country once when we were kids and we had a wonderful time. We really enjoyed it. I was so sad when I realized they closed it.

joonyer
05-05-2010, 11:41 AM
The remains of River Country is located on the west boundary of Fort Widerness, (between FW and WL). You can still see it clearly on Google maps aerial photos if you zoom in. I had the opportunity to visit RC several times as a teenager, and we though it was really cool. But it couldn't hold a candle to the newer Disney Water Parks for fun and thrills.

CU Tiger
05-05-2010, 12:49 PM
FYI: It is my understanding that they closed it due to the water issues. The water used for River Country was from Bay lake. As a typical lake in Florida, the shallow areas have a bacteria or something that can cause ear infections. This is why there is no swimming allowed in Bay lake. I remember while at summer camp as a kid, we had to have stuff put in our ears after every time we went swimming in the lake.:mickey:

Goofy Pluto
05-05-2010, 12:50 PM
I LOVED going to River Country when I was younger. What a fun place. I saw the pictures you are talking about. Such a shame that it's gone.

ThanxForNoticin
05-05-2010, 01:02 PM
River Country really was a lot of fun. I truly expect, however, by today's standards for water parks, RC would've been considered pretty tame. But along with the tube rides, they had a lot of "old-fashioned" types of fun, like the rope swings, and even a water volleyball net - always a volleyball game going on where strangers could get together for some fun. I'm amazed how how long ago it really is since RC has been open!

SBETigg
05-05-2010, 01:17 PM
FYI: It is my understanding that they closed it due to the water issues. The water used for River Country was from Bay lake. As a typical lake in Florida, the shallow areas have a bacteria or something that can cause ear infections. This is why there is no swimming allowed in Bay lake. I remember while at summer camp as a kid, we had to have stuff put in our ears after every time we went swimming in the lake.:mickey:

Can cause death, actually. It's an ameoba, Naegleria fowleri, that can be present and thrives in warm water lakes. It can cause amoebic meningoencephalitis, a rare and deadly infection that begins when the water-born amoeba is forced up the nose and then travels to the spinal cord and the brain. That's why there's no swimming in WDW lakes and lagoons.

xo0ally
05-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Can cause death, actually. It's an ameoba, Naegleria fowleri, that can be present and thrives in warm water lakes. It can cause amoebic meningoencephalitis, a rare and deadly infection that begins when the water-born amoeba is forced up the nose and then travels to the spinal cord and the brain. That's why there's no swimming in WDW lakes and lagoons.

wow thats pretty intense.

Davy Crockett
05-05-2010, 03:46 PM
I believe River Country closed in or around 2000. Last time we stayed at Ft. Wilderness I think I remember it still in use. It's been 10 years, so I could be wrong :)

garymacd
05-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Great place! Lots of fun activities and just a relaxing place to spend the day with the little ones.

I won a marshmallow eating contest there...

Big claim to fame, but I don't think I will put it on my Curriculum Vitae!

It's too bad they can't reopen it. I worked at a beach years ago where we actually put up a thick canvas curtain separating the swimming area from the main watercourse and then chlorinated the whole area. It was huge - over 1400 feet long and six feet deep with floats all along the top. We never had a problem with bacteria or protozoa. The Health Department visited and took water samples every week.

Maybe I should suggest the technology to Disney next time I'm there.

Another problem from a lifeguarding standpoint was the water clarity. With the soft bottom and constant motion in the water, there was a fair amount of silt stirred up making it difficult to see people under water.

Spang88
05-06-2010, 02:22 PM
I had great time as a kid at River Country. I think in the late 90's they also had an MTV show/water competition there too.

Giggy
05-06-2010, 05:11 PM
I believe River Country closed in or around 2000. Last time we stayed at Ft. Wilderness I think I remember it still in use. It's been 10 years, so I could be wrong :)

It was between 2001 and 2004. We didn't go in 1998 because we didn't have time, we went in 2001 but when we went back in 2004 we noticed there was no mention of it anywhere. We found out afterwards that it had been closed for health and safety reasons. My understanding was that by state law they would have needed to seperate it off from the rest of the lake and install a water treatment system. This would have been insanely expensive so the decision was to close it.

Wikipedia: it closed in November 2001 after 25 years, it was announced in 2005 that it would not reopen.

kemps@wdw
05-14-2010, 11:00 PM
River Country was supposedly fashioned after the 'ole watering hole, but was closed for health reasons. IMHO...it should be "refurbed" and enjoyed by the newer generations, and rediscovered by the older. I love watchng my old videos of River Country. (espcially the hair and fashions of the day) :D