PDA

View Full Version : Sudden onset Asthma?

BrerGnat
05-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Hey everyone. I have a situation that I wanted to see if anyone has experienced.

I have a family history of asthma. My sisters and dad both have it. Up to this point, I have not.

I'm 31 years old and in good health. In the past two weeks, I've had two incidences that have left me sort of baffled.

I'll be lying in bed at night, trying to fall asleep, and I'll suddenly be overcome with a horrible coughing fit. It feels like my lungs are full of water (like, when water goes down the wrong pipe). I can't stop, and it seems like I'm coughing up very thin mucus. The first time it happened, I just coughed for about 10 min, then finally got up and took some Robitussin, thinking something had irritated my throat.

It happened again last Friday night. However, this time, the cough was accompanied by a feeling like I couldn't take deep enough breaths, as well as a sharp pain in the center of my chest, under my sternum. My heart started pounding and I got lightheaded (felt like a panic attack). I had to get out of bed and sit up and calmly breathe in and out very slowly. The cough and "watery feeling" did not let up for almost 2 hours. I took some Robitussin DM to calm the cough and loosen up the phlegm. 2 hours later, I was able to go to sleep. When I woke up the next morning, I felt fine, like nothing had happened.

I've read about nighttime asthma symptoms. Can this be it? Is it possible to have asthmas symptoms ONLY at night, and if so, what causes it?

Or, was this an allergy or something (not what I think, since it doesn't happen every night).

I'm just so confused. Can anyone shed some light?

Mickey'sGirl
05-03-2010, 02:51 PM
That sounds like allergies for sure, but I'm no doctor, so I can't tell you if it is asthma or not. I recommend talking to your doctor and telling him/her exactly what you said here. Could it be Post-nasal drip causing the horrible coughing?

I have chronic asthma, and I always feel it the worst in my lower back, at the bottom of my lungs. This is accompanied by a very shallow, strained breathing and a rapid heartbeat. But that's just how my asthma is. You really should talk to a professional.

No matter what it is, I find that Vicks vapo rub on my back and chest sure helps if my breathing is off at night, and also strong coffee.

princess mommy
05-03-2010, 05:23 PM
I second a vote for allergies. Maybe try some Claritin for 2 weeks once a day. Also are you just drifting off to sleep? The reason is I was wondering about sleep apnea. Good luck.

NewDVCowner
05-03-2010, 05:36 PM
With the pounding heart and shortness of breath I wouldn't rely on what's said here and not do anything. This is certainly something to talk to your doctor about.

murphy1
05-03-2010, 05:57 PM
I have allergies and asthma, it's gotten better. But I really had trouble after I came to Ga, b/c the allergens are worse than FL for me. Go to an allergist or pulmonologist. I am on an inhaler and I am taking the Zyrtec liqui gels this time around. I have the opposite problem to where I wake up and at times I throw up if I have to much stuff in my airway. Hope you get some relief soon!

MNNHFLTX
05-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I second the recommendation to see a doctor. It could be asthma, allergies or something else entirely. Anytime someone experiences sudden chest pain or racing heart, there is always the possibility that something cardiac is going on too.

I have mild asthma (no history of it in my family), triggered by smoke or exercise, and have had night-time shortness of breathing, chest tightness and coughing a few times. But I don't cough anything up. Without my inhaler, it takes a while for the tightness to totally go away (at least a day). But as Jennifer said, everyone is different.

faline
05-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Whenever anything changes suddenly, it is certainly worth a talk with your doctor. That said, it is also certainly possible to develop allergies and even asthma during your adult years! But, before guessing that's what it is, let a doctor diagnose you!

Ian
05-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Nat, go see a doctor!

I've had mild asthma off and on for most of my life. When I was young it was pretty bad, but as I got older it became mostly cold/exertion/allergy induced.

But that watery mucus you described doesn't sound like any asthma I've ever heard of. Asthma is an inflammation and accompanying narrowing of the bronchial tubes ... as far as I know (although I'm certainly no doctor) that doesn't typically result in any sort of discharge or mucus.

But pretty much any time you have a pounding heartbeat, severe shortness of breath, and chest pain you need to go see a doctor. While all of us here at INTERCOT have the best intentions, we're not physicians (well ... some of us probably are but they're not going to dole out medical advice over the 'Net anyway).

While I'm sure your symptoms are associated with something relatively benign (allergies or possibly even a touch of pneumonia), you absolutely have to rule out the more serious possibilities and only a physician can do that.

BrerGnat
05-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks guys. I am relatively certain it's nothing serious. I actually had a full cardiac workup recently. I developed a blood clot as a side effect of birth control pills. I ended up in the ER with chest pain and shortness of breath. Thinking it was a cardiac episode, they did all kinds of tests and stuff. This was a few months ago but everything with my heart looked totally normal and healthy.

I'm apt to think it's an allergy to something in my bedroom. The coughing could be due to post nasal drip I guess.

I don't think it's sleep apnea either, as it happens when I'm very much awake, but just lying in bed and calm, etc.

I also have a problem with anxiety induced panic attacks and when stuff strange feeling happens to me, my mind goes to the worst place, and the anxiety kicks in. It happened with the blood clot episode when I thought I was having a heart attack.

I'll go see my doctor this week.

princessgirls
05-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Glad you are going to the Doctor Natalie. Symptoms seem not to indicate Asthma.

Let us know how you make out. Hopefully, it's something that is easily treated.

Julie:mickey:

magicalmom
05-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Absolutely see your doctor. You might also consider replacing your pillows.

Good luck -