PDA

View Full Version : Two Birthdays, a new job, and two steps forward at long last!

Mickey'sGirl
05-03-2010, 10:00 AM
DH (Brian, aka CanadianWDWFan) – Celebrating his new job
Me (Jennifer, aka Mickey’sGIrl) – Celebrating my 41st birthday
DS12 (Harry) – Celebrating his 12th birthday
DS6 (Euan) – Celebrating life, cuz it’s pretty good when you’re 6 and at Disneyworld!

Originally, we were making our annual pilgrimage to the World at the end of July/beginning of August, and celebrating Brian’s birthday there (as we do about every other year or so). We had a week at the the Boardwalk Villas reserved, and a week at the Animal Kingdom Lodge reserved. But, like everything else that has gone on in our world for the past 2 years, plans don’t mean a thing … life is not static.

The short story is, that my DH was offered a new job at a new company starting in June, and there was no way he would be able to get 2 weeks off so soon after starting. So, last Thursday, I called DVC to see what they could do for us, and they were able to exchange our Boardwalk stay for 6 nights at Old Key West, and Terrisue at Magical Journeys was able to change our 5 nights at the Animal Kingdom Lodge to 2 nights in a tower room at the Contemporary Resort. TA DA! We have a new holiday planned for the end of May.

We usually drive to Florida, because I HATE flying (and it is very difficult with Euan), and I LOVE having my own car while we are down there…. But with only 9 days and 8 nights, we can’t afford to use a day and change driving each way…. So we will be flying. We leave on May 21, which is our eldest son’s 12th birthday. We have not told the boys that we are going, so the surprise should be fun!

We are freefalling a bit for this holiday, as there wasn’t enough time to do all of the planning I usually do, but I did make a few choice ADRs. On Harry’s birthday, I was able to get a reservation at Kouzzina’s (it’s his favourite restaurant), I made a dinner reservation at ‘Ohana for us and some friends on the Sunday night, a Brown Derby lunch (a family favourite), dinner at Jiko’s on my birthday, lunch at Chefs de France (another family favourite), and a breakfast at Chef Mickey’s for Euan when we are over at the Contemporary. Not a lot, but enough to satisfy our table service needs.

We have also realized that Star Wars Weekends are on while we’re down. This is incredible news for our geeky Star Wars family (you really have no idea) …. And with thanks to KylesMom (who gave us info and pointers and wrote about her family’s experiences), we might just be able to participate in some of the festivities!

So, 18 days to go! :mickey:

Pocahontas
05-03-2010, 10:16 AM
How exciting! What a great surprise this is going to be for your children.

If I understood correctly, you were able to get 'Ohana ADR's on really short notice. That is really something to be thankful for, seeing that you usually have to call 180 days out to get that ADR. Way to go!:thumbsup:

Wishing you a great trip!

faline
05-03-2010, 10:31 AM
I hope you have a wonderful trip! You have lots to celebrate, particularly Brian's new position! Enjoy!

KylesMom
05-03-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm so happy that you were able to change your plans on such short notice, Jenn. With a new job & birthdays & life to celebrate, I know you'll all have a great time - like you always do. Selfishly, I still wish you were going in July/August, though! :D

How very cool that you were able to get some great ADRs, too. I'll be thinking of you on your flight day, hoping that all goes well & it's a quick & uneventful one. So - are you going to spring the news to Harry & Euan on the way to the airport, or a bit sooner???!

Now, get to that packing! :mickey: We'll be looking for those reports upon your return! :thumbsup:

Nascfan
05-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Have fun Jennifer and Brian! :mickey:

We'll be getting there about the time that you are wrapping up your trip. You'll really enjoy SWW at Studios. I know we did in 2008.

mouseketeer mom
05-03-2010, 02:04 PM
These last minute trips can be an awful lot of fun, and I think you made out great with your ADR's! I wish you a wonderful surprise for your boys, and a wonderful celebratory trip for your family. Enjoy!

BrerGnat
05-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Yay! I love your trip reports! How fun to be going to WDW so much earlier. The boys will be thrilled.

And, congrats to your DH on landing a new job! Exciting!!!

Can't wait for your upcoming reports. :mickey:

wildernesslady
05-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Sounds like a great time. Congrats on the new job.

DizNee143
05-04-2010, 08:18 AM
sounds like its going to be a great trip!! and you guys have much to celebrate!! cant wait to read all about it when you guys get back! :mickey: