PDA

View Full Version : Need some Medication Help

Itchy
05-01-2010, 07:40 PM
My lady friend and I will be in the world the end of August. I know it will be hot to say the least.

The problem we have is my lady friend is diabetic and has an isulin pen that needs to be kept cool.

With out taking a small ice pack into the parks is there a better way to take this type of med's into the park and not carry it around.

Is there some place we can check it in so she can get to it when she needs it?

Thanks for any help.:mickey:

faline
05-01-2010, 07:52 PM
My understanding is you can store the insulin at a First Aid station. There is one station in each park.

medic9016
05-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Take a look at americandiabeteswholesale.com website. There are several option there.

kakn7294
05-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Your friend has two options for her insulin that don't involve an ice pack:

1 - She could either store the insulin at First Aid in each park - which could become a pain when she's due for her injection and it's all the way at the opposite end of the park.

2 - She could invest in a small cooler bag made just for insulin. There are several manufacturers - do an internet search for insulin cooler or insulin wallet to find one that meets her needs. They come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and prices and don't require ice packs.

Disney4us2
05-02-2010, 11:52 AM
I am on the Novalog insulin pen. Mine can be kept at room temp**. I keep it in my fanny pack in the seat of my rollator so it is out of the sun.

If it is too hot outside, I would keep it at first aid at room temp. Or in a small insulated container (look in the camping sections or stores like REI), with a ziplock bag with ice cubes. When the melt you can dump it and get new ice at the CS. That is not as heavy as the blue ice packs.

I like the idea about the insulin cooler from the PP. I will have to check it out... summer is coming.

** I store all un-openend pens in the fridge.

PETE FROM NYC
05-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Google Medicool .Thats the pack I use for my insulin.It come with 2 freezer packs.One to keep in the freezer while you carry the other.
Just be advised, the free medical fridges that they give you in the value resorts have no freezer section. What I had to do was to drop off the freezer pack nightly at luggage services to be put in their big freezer, then pick it up on the way out next morning. This was a bit of an inconvenience, but it worked.

betteratmk
05-03-2010, 08:15 PM
I am on the Novalog insulin pen. Mine can be kept at room temp**. I keep it in my fanny pack in the seat of my rollator so it is out of the sun.

If it is too hot outside, I would keep it at first aid at room temp. Or in a small insulated container (look in the camping sections or stores like REI), with a ziplock bag with ice cubes. When the melt you can dump it and get new ice at the CS. That is not as heavy as the blue ice packs.

I like the idea about the insulin cooler from the PP. I will have to check it out... summer is coming.

** I store all un-openend pens in the fridge.

What she said! They keep for 1 month if not in the direct sunlight or in a hot car for extended periods.

Itchy
05-04-2010, 09:54 PM
We have one of the insulin pen coolers that is water activated. I should be here in a few days.

We will let you know how it works out....

Standby for news.....:blush:

Itchy
06-08-2010, 06:06 PM
See my update in this forum ( Update on Insulin Pen Cooler )

My lady Friend thinks it is great.

:mickey: