PDA

View Full Version : Tier free dining

ransam
05-01-2010, 02:52 PM
ok, i am not meaning to start a war of words, but am i the only one who is a little upset that the free dining is only offered to the Moderate and Deluxe, and if we're staying at the value we can only get the counter service, and pay extra for the regular?
I understand the arguments of wanting people to spend more money, i understand the argument that you should be rewarded for staying at a moderate.

I would love to stay at a moderate or deluxe. my dream is to one day stay at the comtempary....but there is a reason i stay at the value, and that is because of money. don't get me wrong, i love the POP, and the other all-star resorts. but for me, taking a vacation to Disney is hard. it's not something we have to do, we want to do it. we do it every year because we love Disney. but it's something i save for, work over time for, and have a 2nd job over the summer for. The free dining was perfect, and now i have to spend more money to give my family want it wants, and that's ok i guess. just a little disappointed.

haveing said that, of course i'm gonna do it. i just have to decide if it makes more sense to spend the extra money for the value and upgrad. or spend even more money and stay at the moderate.

waiting now to see what the price difference is. and if it's not too much more. i guess the POR is where i'm headed...

thanks for letting me vent....

just 129 days and i'm off.

forever a child
05-01-2010, 03:17 PM
At the value resorts, you would get the free Quick Service Dining plan. I am sure you could spend the extra $10 per person per day and upgrade to the regular dining plan. Not sure if this helps you out of not.

faline
05-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Free dining has always been more of a benefit for those staying at values than it has been for those staying in other types of accommodations. In many cases, the value of "free dining" is non-existent when one stays in the deluxe resorts while paying rack rate. While I understand it feels unfair to you, it clearly is Disney's way of cutting back on what it had offered in the past.

Madame Leona
05-01-2010, 06:38 PM
I was bummed when I heard it was only cs dining also. After pricing out the difference between upgrading the hotel and upgrading the dining plan, I found it was significantly cheaper to upgrade the dining plan. Hope everything turns out well for you.

tadshome
05-01-2010, 07:59 PM
The free dining in the UK has been announced for 2011 and value resorts are excluded from free ddp, moderates get free quick service and deluxe resorts get regular DDP. They have also noted that the dining plans will no longer include desserts, just an entree and drink. It seems a shame that they keep reducing what is included on the plans.

DizneyRox
05-01-2010, 08:35 PM
... They have also noted that the dining plans will no longer include desserts, just an entree and drink.
Now that's the first I've heard of that... Sounds about right though. Wait till that gets announced to the rest of the world. They won't have two seperate plans, one for US customers and one for UK customers, so if this is true, it will be for everyone.

And yes, the tiered dining plan is coming as well. I was actually expecting QS for values, DDP for Mods and Deluxe Dining Plan for the deluxe resorts. If it's nothing for the values, QS for the mods and DDP for the deluxe, then that take ANY and ALL value out of the dining plan. Not that I thought there was any, but it would be tough to justify it in any fashion.

Hopefully at that point they trash the whole idea, however the damage is done. The menus are generic and bland. I hate having to order off the same menu as the DDP guests do. The menus won't change however when the DDP goes away.

TheRustyScupper
05-01-2010, 11:02 PM
ok, i am not meaning to start a war of words, but am i the only one who is a little upset that the free dining is only offered to the Moderate and Deluxe

1) It is the Golden Rule - "He who has the gold, rules."
2) And, WDW has the gold.
3) Enough said.

Genie1953
05-02-2010, 01:40 AM
We just got back two weeks ago. We paid for the DDP. Haven't sat down yet to see if the DDP was really worth what we paid for it but suspect it was. I know one thing though....free DDP or Quick service dining plan is a bargain no matter how you look at it and I would be glad to get either....but I can certainly see why those staying at a value would be upset at only getting the QSDP versus the DDP that the moderates/deluxes are going to get.

#1donaldfan
05-02-2010, 08:31 AM
...ransam, I'm totally with you about what it's about to save, save and work more to save for the vacations we really want. We don't have to go there, but we want to.....if you find yourself upgrading a bit to POR, you'll love it....it's so peaceful, relaxing....just an all around great mod.....so, maybe a little bit more, but way worth it....hopefully you'll feel a bit more at ease with these words....!!!:cool:

TheVBs
05-02-2010, 11:28 AM
At one time I would have been disappointed, but now it doesn't bother me. I can see where it makes financial sense for Disney to only offer free QS dining at the value resorts. I would happily take it! And I have to say, when the offer came out to cover the beginning of Oct. I was tempted to book even though we've got other vacation plans for the year. :blush: We've also discovered that we just don't need a big sit down meal every day. So that changes my perspective on it too.

I certainly understand why you're disappointed though, and it's always ok to vent! :mickey:

Goofy Pluto
05-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Have you looked into the Kids Eat/Stay/Play free offer? We got that and it's actually a better deal for us that the Free Dining Plan offer (saved us hundreds). Of course maybe it depends on how many kids you have and how old they are. Mine are all under 9.

Just a thought.

Daisy'sMom
05-03-2010, 03:32 PM
You know what? We would rather do the QS anytime. Having to be at a certain place at a certain time to eat at Disney doesn't go well for my family. We dont like looking at the watch to see if we have to get ready to leave for another park just to get seated for a meal. Give me the freedom of Qs anytime. When we go for our day trips, we often make ressies for a dinner. Doing it this Saturday. But when we go for a week, we like the freedom of QS. Of course I know not everyone can enjoy day trips and the opportunity it gives us. But hope it makes you feel better.:mickey: