PDA

View Full Version : EVC or reg wheelchair for mom

of2dbeach
05-01-2010, 07:05 AM
I have never rented a EVC or wheelchair at any of the parks. I am traveling with my mom and my 2 girls ages 7 ( aspergers)and 13. mom wants to get a reg wheelchair and have me push her but i have muscle and nerve dammage so i dont think I can / should so I told her to rent a EVC. On the other hand if the girls get tired they can ride in the reg wheel chair but not the EVC from what i understand. mom says try the reg wheel chair and if i cant push her we can go back and get a EVC but I say they will all be rented out early! Also whats the chance of park hopping and her not being able to get a EVC at the other parks later in the afternoons? thanks for the help!

disneymom15
05-01-2010, 10:10 AM
:welcome:Let me tell you, we've done it both ways. If you mom is capable, go for the EVC. We rented from an off site company. They deliver to your resort & they're cheaper than the parks. Pushing a wheel chair all day can get tiring, especially if you have back problems.

peemagg
05-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I would rent an ECV from an outside company like Applescooters. I think they are around $150 a week. Renting from outside companies are many times cheaper than Disney and they are smaller than the ones at Disney, so are easier to maneuver in the crowds. There are many companies out there. I just used Apple as an example. If you do a search for Orlando area mobility scooter rentals, you will get a lot of results to research.

Your chances, depending on time of year you are going, is very iffy when park hopping. It can even be iffy to get one at first park if not rented within the first hour of park opening.

ElenitaB
05-01-2010, 01:58 PM
I do agree with you that pushing a wheelchair is not as easy as one may think. If your mom is capable of driving an ECV, I would definitely recommend that as the way to go. If it would help, maybe she can try one out at a local supermarket if they have them available.

And I second/third the suggestion for renting from an off-site company. I have been unable to secure an ECV at the parks, and if you do park hop it's also likely that you won't be able to get an ECV at the second park. Not to mention the sting of the $50 per day rental fee.

Daisy'sMom
05-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Isn't the rental fee for the EVC about $75 now? That's what someone told me. Disgusting. Seems to me that anything over 40.00 is robbery. Maybe Disney is trying to keep the handicapped out..

peemagg
05-02-2010, 12:55 PM
The cost for Disney rental of an ECV is $20 for key deposit and $50 for rental per day.

cajunmickey
05-02-2010, 01:09 PM
We rent a wheelchair for mom from an outside company. It is there when we arrive and they pick it up when we leave. I know if we park hop she will not be with out one. I have two grown kids who help push. There are a lot of hill and dips that get pretty tuff. My mom felt very unsure about driving an ECV.

of2dbeach
05-02-2010, 06:20 PM
thanks for the responces. we are going to rent one from Care medical. I saw good reviews about them and when I called the man was very nice and answered all my question.. some that i didnt think to ask! They will deliver to our off site hotel the night we arive so mom can "Practice" a bit before the parks.its $30 a day with FREE delivery and if anything happens such as breaking down we just give them a call and they bring her a new scooter!

faline
05-02-2010, 06:46 PM
thanks for the responces. we are going to rent one from Care medical. I saw good reviews about them and when I called the man was very nice and answered all my question.. some that i didnt think to ask! They will deliver to our off site hotel the night we arive so mom can "Practice" a bit before the parks.its $30 a day with FREE delivery and if anything happens such as breaking down we just give them a call and they bring her a new scooter!

If you're staying off site, how are you being transported to the parks each day?

of2dbeach
05-04-2010, 06:27 AM
I am driving my suv to the parks as far as epcot to MK park at one park and use the Monorail to park hop. the other 2 i know i need to use the suv and load and unload the scooter myself. She called the doc who agreed she needed a handicapped tag for the car TG. She should be picking that up today. We are staying at howard Johnsons main gate east again. I stayed there a few times with hubby/kids and they have always been nice to me. They are giving us a ground floor because i need to plug in the scooter at night. Any other things I need to know ?:mickey: