PDA

View Full Version : Flying Fish or Todd English's BlueZoo?

MizMissy
04-30-2010, 01:27 PM
I know FF receives lots of rave reviews over here. I haven't heard much about BlueZoo (I'm guessing because it isn't on dining plan).

I'm just curious about food and atmosphere at both. Our kids (9 and 7) will be with us, but they are used to fine dining experiences so I do not think that will be a problem, but I would prefer (for myself also) not to be in a really stuffy environment.

Thanks.

BrerGnat
04-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Bluezoo is REALLY excellent. Heads and shoulders above all of the Disney dining establishments (except V&A, of course).

However, it's not a place for kids. To be really honest, it's definitely catered to adults, although they do have a kids menu. It's one of the few places that adults can (still) go to at WDW and NOT expect kids to be in the restaurant. I have two kids of my own, so I have nothing against kids, but DH and I went here without them on our last trip for a date night, and I REALLY, REALLY appreciated the lack of kids. There was one party with kids, and they seemed very out of place. DH said to me, "why would anybody bring kids to this restaurant?"

Also, just FYI, not sure how much this would bother you, or influence your decision, but the bartenders and bar waitresses are dressed in a VERY "adult" manner. Think: short shorts, fishnet stockings, EXTREMELY low cut/revealing tops, etc. They are all drop dead model gorgeous, of course, but they are essentially eye candy. The regular serving staff is more formally dressed, but you have to pass through the bar area to get to the tables and then back out of the restaurant.

I think anyone who even sort of likes seafood should try Bluezoo. Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to drop the kids off at Camp Dolphin for a couple hours and enjoy a nice adult meal!

Oh, and it's not stuffy at all. It's a beautiful (decor wise) restaurant. Very soothing and pleasant. Sort of has the atmosphere of an upscale nightclub, deep booths, dark lighting, lots of emphasis on drinks (which are very interesting, by the way), etc. Service here is top notch. You get two servers, and you will want for nothing during your meal. This is definitely fine dining, but with menu options that are accessible to a wide variety of tastes (I don't even like seafood, but I had a great meal here).

ThanxForNoticin
05-02-2010, 01:25 PM
My wife and I have done both and enjoyed both. On the one hand, I agree with BrerGnat that Blue Zoo is an excellent place to eat - I'd give it a slight edge over FF. However, I disagree that it's not appropriate for kids. The evening we ate at Blue Zoo, there were several kids at the restaurant, and it was a non-issue. As long as you are comfortable dining with your kids at a nicer restaurant, you shouldn't hesitate to enjoy your evening there as a family. Hope you enjoy your evening, whichever place you choose.

SBETigg
05-02-2010, 01:29 PM
I really love Flying Fish, haven't tried Bluezoo. My reluctance is that I've been underwhelmed by other Todd English restaurants. This one sounds like a winner and maybe I will give it a shot eventually.

But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Flying Fish. Great atmosphere, very family friendly, very good food.

awaggett
05-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I have dined (and really enjoyed) both! I think either would be a great meal--however, FF is probably a better choice for kids. It's a bit noisier, more going on, etc. Bluezoo seemed more quiet and intimate.

Julie_Mouse
05-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Have never been to BlueZoo, but I can chime in with the others above me and say that Flying Fish was delicious and very family friendly! Highly reccommend it :thumbsup: