PDA

View Full Version : King Beds at POP

Superzeus84
04-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Yo, I was wondering about how many king size bed rooms there are at POP. Also how hard is it to get one? Do i just have to make a request for one when booking, and how many people that have tried to do this did not get a king bed. Thanks all.

KylesMom
04-28-2010, 10:16 PM
While I can't tell you how many King rooms Pop Century has, I can tell you that King rooms are limited in all Disney resorts.

For the most part, the King rooms at Disney's value resorts are typically wheelchair accessible. I would find out at booking time if you can pay a surcharge (we paid $7 a night six years ago at CR), or if they're not able to be booked in this manner.

Hopefully someone will come along soon with a recent experience at POP. :mickey:

Amy_617
04-29-2010, 01:43 AM
My DH and I have requested a king bed at Pop twice and it was honored once. You can not "book" a king bed room at a value. You can request it, but you may or may not get it. You can "book" a king room at a mod though...if it is important to you. It is extra $ at a mod, but if you happen to be lucky to get a king at a value....there's no extra charge!

I was looking in one of our Disney planning books, and they claim 126 rooms are disabled rooms. Not sure if all of those are kings or not....but that should give you an idea though.

HTH! :mickey:

Goofy4TheWorld
04-29-2010, 08:23 AM
While I cannot tell you how many rooms have king beds, I can tell you with about 95% confidence that in the Value resorts, king bed always equals handicap accessible rooms, which means a zero-entry shower instead of a bathtub.

So if Amy_617 is correct that there are 126 handicap accessible rooms, then 126 rooms have a king bed. My wife and I so disliked the zero-entry shower that when we stay at Pop in December we are sleeping on separate double beds just to avoid the HC rooms.

Goofy4TheWorld
04-29-2010, 08:35 AM
After looking at it more, the All-Star resorts each have 5% of total rooms as king/HC rooms (96 out of 1,824 in each resort).

Pop Century has 2,880 rooms built, so 5% there would give you 144 rooms. Somewhere around 125 to 150 would be a good guess.

Superzeus84
04-29-2010, 11:10 AM
ok cool, thanks everyone. Also, we have only ever stayed at mods, and i know that if you want a fridge at Values you have to pay extra. But i was wondering if the Values have coffee machines in room or you have to use your resort mug and walk to the food court to get coffee. Thanks again everyone.:D

Goofy4TheWorld
04-29-2010, 11:17 AM
ok cool, thanks everyone. Also, we have only ever stayed at mods, and i know that if you want a fridge at Values you have to pay extra. But i was wondering if the Values have coffee machines in room or you have to use your resort mug and walk to the food court to get coffee. Thanks again everyone.:D

While I would not bet the farm on it, I have a strong suspicion that all the the handicap-accessible rooms include a refrigerator at no charge, even if it is just unofficially. We had one at Movies and didn't even realize it until our last day there! It may have just been a coincidence, but I would wait to see if you get one for free before requesting one.

Superzeus84
04-29-2010, 06:28 PM
While I would not bet the farm on it, I have a strong suspicion that all the the handicap-accessible rooms include a refrigerator at no charge, even if it is just unofficially. We had one at Movies and didn't even realize it until our last day there! It may have just been a coincidence, but I would wait to see if you get one for free before requesting one.

Sweet, thanks for the advice.:thumbsup:

chrim
05-03-2010, 01:08 AM
I have twice received rooms with king beds at Disney value resorts. Here is my experience.

The first time was at All-Star Music on the third floor of a Calypso building. This room had an extra large bathroom with a zero entry shower instead of the tub. There was less room in the bed area such that the total size of the room was the same as a room with two double beds. I did not find a refrigerator in my room. I had not requested a king, but was traveling as a single (meeting friends staying in a different resort). This was during a slow period in early November. I booked this stay on the web, but did not use the web to check in.

The second time was at Pop Century on the first floor of a 1950's building. This time the bathroom was typical value resort size and had a normal tub. In this case, there were many grab bars located in the tub and around the toilet. The bedroom area was normal size as well and again I found no refrigerator in the room. In this case, I had requested a king bed (my first time ever making such a request) when I made the reservation on the phone with a very helpful CRO agent. I did use the web to check in this time.

So, in my experience, I cannot tell you how to increase your chances of getting a room at a Disney value resort with a king sized bed. However, I can tell you that based on a tiny sample size, the Pop Century rooms with a king bed often (or always) are different than an All-Stars king bed room.

chrim
05-03-2010, 02:46 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention the fact that the Disney value resorts do not provide any coffee makers in their rooms. You would need to go to the food court to get your morning coffee (or bring your own coffee maker with you to have in your room).