BrerGnat
04-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Friday, April 2, 2010

Cast:
Me
DH
DS 5-Max
DS 4-Lucas

Today we are going home. But, our DME pick up is not until 12:15pm, so I wondered what to do. Everyone was up by 8:30, and we were all but done packing up. I was pleasantly surprised by TWO envelopes under the door this morning. One was our final room charge summary and the other contained four boarding passes and four luggage tags for our flight home on Jet Blue! Wow...we love Club Level. :D I was all set to drag our bags down to the airline check in desk and do everything down there. But...all done! Sweet. I put the tags on the bags, and the boarding passes in my carryon bag, and we all dressed and had breakfast. DH decided he wanted to work out one more time since we'd be traveling for over 6 hours and getting home late. So, I agreed to take the boys "somewhere" while he hit the gym after breakfast. I thought about what to do and remembered that we had 7 day Park Hopper tickets, of which we had only used Six days, so I felt one last trip into Epcot would be a nice way to spend the morning. So, off we went, heading in around 9:45.

It was warm and muggy today. Eww. Glad we were leaving (sort of). We did the obligatory playground time first. Surprisingly, the boys were both only half hearted about it, and we left after about 5 min. Max requested to see the Jumping Fountains at Imagination, so we went over there. We spent a long time there, Max playing and Lucas just sitting in his stroller. He looked really tired...

I pulled Max away, and we went to watch the fountain of Nations next. At that point, it was around 10:45 and I had told DH we would be back by 11:00, which was check out time, and we still needed to get the bags out of the room and downstairs. Max and Lucas wanted to ride SSE again, but I had to say "no" since we were cutting it close on time. Max was really sad, and he said "we can ride it next time", so I asked him if he wanted to come back to Walt Disney World on vacation again. He gave me a very emphatic "YES!" Music to my ears. :thumbsup:

On the way out, we stopped at the World Traveler store at the Int'l Gateway. I had really wanted to get something Spaceship Earth related for Max, and we never found anything all week (even at Mouse Gears...). But, this shop was a SCORE! We found a tiny SSE snowglobe, a SSE Christmas Tree Ornament, and the Epcot souvenir paperback book. Max was VERY excited about our purchases here. He announced that he wanted to put the book in his "airplane backpack" for the trip home.

We made it back to our room right at 11:00. DH was ready to go, and I packed up the last minute souvenirs and we called for Bell Services, who showed up in about 2 minutes. He told me he'd meet me down at the Resort Airline check in desk, where I had to provide my photo i.d. while turning over my bags. So, we all said a final goodbye to our room and headed out. When we got downstairs, DH and the boys settled in on some couches in a little alcove in the lobby. DH fired up the Netbook and took advanatge of the FREE WI-FI in the BC lobby! This was nice little perk we used a few times during the stay (on my ipod Touch mostly...). I went outside to drop off the bags, and all I had to do was say "those are mine" and the woman working the line said "what time are you flying out?". I told her "three" and she said, "okay, you're all set; you'll see these at your home airport." Painless.

I returned to the lobby and hit up the Marketplace for our dinners for the flight (we planned to grab lunch at MCO prior to the flight). I picked up four Uncrustables, some grapes, carrots and a couple postcards of the resort. We packed up the sandwiches along with some pretzels and crackers we had brought and the cookies we had gotten from the lounge the night before. Looked like a good dinner for all of us in flight. I also bought the boys one last ice cream treat to enjoy in the lobby: A Mickey Bar for Max and Strawberry fruit bar for Lucas. They made huge messes of themselves while they ate those...but I was prepared with wipes! Lucas, at this point, was starting to worry me. He had been sitting in his stroller this whole time, with the shade pulled over him, and he only ate 1/2 the popsicle. Hmmm...he sort of looked like a zombie, but with more color in his cheeks. He was in a bad mood too. I made him use the restroom prior to the DME pickup and he cried and fussed about it. Sigh....

We headed out right at 12:00 to catch the DME bus. It showed up right at 12:15 and was a Disney Cruise Line bus, which we thought was cool (now Lucas had gotten to ride all three of his "souvenir" buses). Lucas was NOT behaving on this bus ride. He kept trying to open the Emergency window release lever. We finally switched seats and DH sat with Max and I sat with Lucas. Once we had picked up the guests at the other resorts, Lucas settled into my lap and put his head on my shoulder for the ENTIRE ride.

We arrived at the airport around 1:15pm, and were dropped off first. We made our way to the food court and had a VERY rushed lunch. We had spied the Security Lines and knew we didn't have time to dawdle. After lunch, we headed to the security line and were SO relieved to be directed into the "families with small children" line, which was only about 5 people long, instead of the MASSIVE line with hundreds! We were through security very quickly, although our boys backpacks were not scanning properly, so that was a minor hold up. For a minute, I feared they would confiscate our PB&J's! We passed inspection though, and made our way to our gate. We got there with about 10 min before our flight would board, so we did another restroom stop and purchased waters for us all. At this point, Lucas really looked like death. His cheeks were bright red, his eyes were watery, and he was crying again (due to being scared of flying again). I decided to take no chances, and gave him a dose of children's tylenol chewables just before we boarded. We got on the plane and took off without incident. Once in the air, Lucas fell asleep across my lap for almost two hours! Following a brief connection in Austin, we were on the final leg of our flight, and this is when I knew something was really wrong with Lucas. He laid across my lap (awake) for the ENTIRE 3 hour flight. Didn't want to watch t.v., play with his toys, books, or color, and did NOT want to play with my ipod. Just laid there... He was extremely warm to the touch and I knew he was sick. I silently gave thanks that he was getting sick at the END of the trip, rather than during it. We had *just* made it off the plane and into the airport when Lucas :ack: in the bathroom. Poor guy. :( We made it home in record time, gave the boys a bath and put them straight to bed.

The next morning, Max joined his little brother in :ack:. Max ended up worse than Lucas, and was quite sick for several days. Thankfully, we got home BEFORE that all started!!!

We were happy to be home, but already missing our Beach Club. But, for the FIRST time ever, I left WDW HAPPY, not sad. I usually get really sad on departure day, but this day, I was SO happy, because we had DONE IT! And, we had had a FABULOUS time, despite the hiccups. Our life is FULL of trials, and we have tried really hard to just make the most of what comes our way, and I think because of that, our vacation kept a positive spin. We are used to just shrugging our shoulders and saying "oh well...time to move on." No, we didn't go on lots of rides. No, we didn't get as much "couple' time as we had planned on. BUT, we spent quality time together as a family, and THAT was the purpose of this trip. And now we know, there will be many more in the future. :mickey:

faline
04-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Until now, I had forgotten I had read another post in which you had spoken about how your kids got sick at the end of your trip! It is better that they got through the trip before the illness set in but it must have been a rather disappointing way to end a vacation! Thanks for your reports! I've enjoyed each of them - particularly your optimistic outlook on life!

KylesMom
04-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Notwithstanding both boys getting sick at the tail end, what a beautiful trip. Honestly, you may have had a few hiccups, but overall a great success. And now you know that you can take another big vacation!

I am curious - have you been back to Disneyland yet, and what were the boys' reactions since it wasn't "their Disney World"?

Thanks so much for taking the time to write out all of your experiences - trip reports such as these take a lot of time, and yours were absolutely wonderful! :mickey:

BrerGnat
04-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Yes, we have been back to Disneyland! Lucas and I were there just this morning (he has no school on Weds. so we usually go). Both boys were very excited to get back to their "home park". They still talk about WDW every day, but Max seemed releived to get back to DL and Lucas has resumed running around Fantasyland like he owns the place. ;).

Disneyland will always be home to them. But, now they know of an even bigger Disney place, and that one has waterslide parks. :D.

KylesMom
04-28-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm glad that the boys had a quick adjustment back home. :thumbsup: I'm just so happy that you had such a good trip! :mickey:

RedSoxFan
04-29-2010, 07:39 AM
I enjoyed reading your trip reports over the past couple of weeks. Sounds like you had nice family time which is always important. They grow up so fast. Sorry to hear the boys got sick; but at least it was at the end of your trip.

mouseketeer mom
04-29-2010, 08:22 AM
What a blessing that the kids were sick at the very end of the trip..Not during it!!!
Very great reports, and I related to your last paragraph..leaving WDW happy this time, instead of sad. I left WDW the same way 2 weeks ago, we pulled off a fantastic trip as well, and was so grateful for the time together. Were we there at the same time, I wonder??

mouseketeer mom
04-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Oops..scratch that last question. I see your departure was 2 days prior to our arrival!

VWL Mom
04-29-2010, 08:39 AM
I really enjoyed reading all your reports. Sounds like all in all the boys had a great time doing things their way. I applaud you for following their lead! Thanks for sharing.

PS: You can let Lucas know I am very jealous that he gets to go to DL every Wednesday :D

DizNee143
04-29-2010, 08:39 AM
sounds like you definitely made the most of your last few hours in disney! sorry to hear your boys werent doing well by the very end of the trip..but thank god that it happened at the end!

i have really enjoyed reading all about your family vacation over the pass week..over all you all sure did have a great time..and no real major problems..im glad you had a wonderful time and know now that you will be back!! thanx again for sharing your trip with us!:mickey:

Pocahontas
04-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the trip reports. I've evjoyed them.

Sorry to hear your children got sick. When my daughter was young, it seemed like she got sick every time we went to WDW. Unfortunately it would be at the beginning of the trip (usually a bad cough and at times a low grade fever) and she would start feeling better near the end of the trip. I'm sure you were grateful your boys sickness hit at the end.

vizsla
05-02-2010, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the report.

Darbylew
05-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Glad the little ones didn't get sick while you
were on your trip. Sounds like you had some
real family time and that says it all!
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
7 DAYS!!!!!!!!!! :D

DisneyorBust
05-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Enjoyed your reports, I was glad to read that you all had such a great vacation. Sorry to read that your boys got so sick but I'm glad that they are better. Thanks for sharing your vcation with us!

princessgirls
05-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks for all of the reports Natalie!!

Although not always easy to travel with your sons, you did it is right! Having good understanding of your childrens needs and actions really enabled you to enjoy a family vacation!

Sorry your son got sick on the way home. No fun...

Glad you had a wonderful vacation!
Julie:mickey:

pdrlkr
05-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks for all the great Reports! :smickey: