PDA

View Full Version : 1 Injured in Boat Collision at WDW

Ed
04-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Woman injured in boat crash at Disney

April 27, 2010 at 5:26 pm

By Anika Myers Palm, Orlando Sentinel

A woman was injured in a boating accident on Thursday at Walt Disney World near the Treehouse Villas.

Barbara Wormald, 61, of Celebration and Skipton, England, was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center to receive treatment for a collapsed lung, fractured ribs and back pain, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.

Wormald and her husband, Michael, had rented a small boat at Downtown Disney and began to make their way through the Walt Disney World Resort waterways, the Sheriff’s Office said. At some point, the two found themselves in the path of a ferry.

Michael Wormald told a sheriff’s deputy that he turned to the right too late to avoid the ferry.

William Green, the captain of the ferry, told authorities he put the ferry in reverse when it crashed into the boat.

The Wormalds’ boat went under the ferry, and Barbara Wormald was wedged between the ferry and the small boat.

The Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident.

~~~~

Local TV is reporting the couple in the small boat were distracted and didn't see the larger shuttle boat until it was too late to avoid the collision.

Puppy Mom
04-28-2010, 03:15 AM
YIKES!

You would think a ferry would be hard to miss seeing AND hearing.

I guess not.

I hope she recovers fully.

VWL Mom
04-28-2010, 06:47 AM
How terrible! I wish her a full recovery.

DVC2004
04-28-2010, 06:55 AM
Geez how frightening! I hope she's OK!

brownie
04-28-2010, 07:19 AM
I wonder if the ferry saw them and tried to alert them? The article makes it sound like the ferry captain didn't do anything until after the collision.

cer
04-28-2010, 07:26 AM
That's terrible.

Ed
04-28-2010, 07:53 AM
I wonder if the ferry saw them and tried to alert them? The article makes it sound like the ferry captain didn't do anything until after the collision.

Apparently, they didn't see each other until it was too late. There are several intersecting canals back in that area, and very heavy trees and plants can cause poor visibility at the intersections. Add in the noise of your own outboard motor and "sightseeing" distractions, and you've got a potential accident.

Also, the story refers to the WDW boat as a "ferry". They are actually relatively small pontoon boats, about 25 feet long, not the huge ferries like the ones that travel between the TTC and the MK.

phlo8810
04-28-2010, 09:18 AM
I hope they don't stop the rental of the small boats. My son is looking forward to getting one in november.

Polynesian Dweller
04-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Also, the story refers to the WDW boat as a "ferry". They are actually relatively small pontoon boats, about 25 feet long, not the huge ferries like the ones that travel between the TTC and the MK.

The pictures on WFTV show the ferry involved to be more like the old boats used once at AK for their radio tours. It's described as about 4 times longer than the WFTV news van which would put it nearly 60 ft long. It wasn't one of the smaller pontoon boats according to that report and the WESH report.

The more maneuverable boat, the SeaRaycer in this case, must always give the right of way to the less maneuverable one, the ferry in this case.

Aurora
04-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Here is a transcript of the Incident Report filed April 22 in the Orange County Sheriff's Office:

ON 04-22-10, 1745 HRS, I RESPONDED TO ORMC TO CHECK ON INJURIES SUSTAINED IN A BOATING ACCIDENT AT WALT DISNEY WORLD (WDW). UPON MY ARRIVAL, I RESPONDED TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM TO CHECK ON BARBARA WORMALD WHO WAS HURT IN THE BOATING ACCIDENT.

UP ON MY ARRIVAL SHE WAS AWAKE BUT WAS BEING CARED FOR BY EMERGENCY PERSONNEL. I WAS TOLD THAT SHE HAD A COLLAPSED LUNG, BROKEN RIBS AND POSSIBLE SPINAL INJURIES. DOCTOR CHEATAM WAS TAKING CARE OF THE VICTIM’S INJURIES.

I THEN SPOKE TO MICHAEL WORMALD (REPORTER) WHO WAS DRIVING THE BOAT WHEN THE ACCIDENT OCCURRED. HIS WIFE, BARBARA, WAS IN THE PASSENGER SEAT WHEN THE ACCIDENT OCCURRED. WORMALD STATED THAT AT THIS TIME HE HAD NO INJURIES AND HE DID NOT APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN DRINKING ANY ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.

MICHAEL STATED THAT ON 04-22-10, AT APPROX 1545 HRS, HE AND HIS WIFE RENTED A SMALL BOAT AT DOWN TOWN DISNEY AND DROVE TO OLD KEY WEST THROUGH THE WDW WATER WAYS. AT THIS TIME THE BOAT ENTERED ANOTHER CANAL ON THE WAY TO ANOTHER RESORT. (MICHAEL IS NOT SURE OF THE EXACT LOCATION).

MICHAEL STATED THAT AT THIS TIME, HE OBSERVED A LARGE TRANSPORT FERRY THAT WAS MOVING INTO THE CENTER OF THE CANAL. AT FIRST MICHAEL THOUGHT THAT THE FERRY HAD BACKED OUT AND WAS GOING TO MOVE AWAY FROM HIM AND HIS WIFE. MICHAEL THEN NOTICED THAT THE FERRY WAS COMING AT THEIR BOAT AND WAS ONLY A SHORT DISTANCE AWAY.

AT THIS TIME MICHAEL TURNED SHARP TO THE RIGHT TO AVOID THE FERRY BUT IT WAS TOO LATE AND THE FERRY RAN UP ONTO THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE SMALL BOAT. THE LARGE FERRY HIT BARBARA AND RAN OVER TOP OF HER. BARBARA WAS WEDGED BETWEEN THE FERRY AND THE SMALL BOAT MOMENTARILY.

MICHAEL STATED HE YELLED FOR THE FERRY TO STOP AND TO CALL FOR HELP. MINUTES LATER HELP ARRIVED AND THE VICTIM WAS TRANSPORTED TO ORMC.

I DID CONTACT DETECTIVE BEAN (MARINE 12) AND GAVE HIM THE ABOVE LISTED INFORMATION.

Stu29573
04-28-2010, 12:02 PM
I feel bad for the guests, but if one has to place blame, it is with them. A large boat can't simply "slam on the breaks" when something crosses its path. Even in full reverse it takes an amazingly long time to slow down. That's why maritime law puts the responsibility on the smaller (quicker and more maneuverable) craft.

Amy_617
04-28-2010, 12:44 PM
The pictures on WFTV show the ferry involved to be more like the old boats used once at AK for their radio tours. It's described as about 4 times longer than the WFTV news van which would put it nearly 60 ft long. It wasn't one of the smaller pontoon boats according to that report and the WESH report.

The more maneuverable boat, the SeaRaycer in this case, must always give the right of way to the less maneuverable one, the ferry in this case.

The "ferry" boats that go through here aren't 60 ft long....are they? Aren't they the same size as the boats from POR to DTD? Not trying to start anything, just asking. :blush:

I too, would say the SeaRaycer is likely at fault. Those "ferry" boats can't stop on a dime.

I hope she fully recovers soon!

buzznwoodysmom
04-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Oh gosh, I hope the woman makes a complete and quick recovery. Its awful to get hurt that way, especially on vacation. I'm sending her prayers and pixiedust!

We rented water mice in Nov. and were told several times that the smaller water craft MUST ALWAYS stay out of the way and yeild to the larger water craft. They stressed this point several times. I'm sure this couple were told the same thing and possibly just didn't see the ferry in enough time to steer clear. What a shamed for this to happen.

Polynesian Dweller
04-28-2010, 01:17 PM
The "ferry" boats that go through here aren't 60 ft long....are they? Aren't they the same size as the boats from POR to DTD? Not trying to start anything, just asking. :blush:

I too, would say the SeaRaycer is likely at fault. Those "ferry" boats can't stop on a dime.

I hope she fully recovers soon!

I too hope she recovers and its very unfortunate.

The picture they showed on the WFTV video report looked to be about that long, it looked a bit like one of the old riverboats at AK, though not quite those either I think. When one of those was used temporarily at the Poly last year it would have been 50-60ft.

The reporter stood beside their news van and said that the ferry was about 4 times the length of their van. So I'm going on that which would put it somewhere around 60ft ,maybe less depending on how long the van is. Regardless, its long and will not stop quickly and won't be anywhere near as maneuverable as the Sea Raycer.

princessgirls
04-29-2010, 11:10 AM
That is awful.

I hope Barbara recovers.

Julie:mickey:

Wadeace
04-30-2010, 12:43 PM
those boats are not 60ft long, that would make them about the length of a semi truck, they are more like 30 to 40 ft, the news van is only about 10ft or less. but still at 40ft it is a l lot harder to stop than the little boat the couple was in.

coming from key west where tourist come and rent things like mopeds, wave-runners, and other devices they don't have experience using, i can say that accidents like this aren't uncommon. people come to they keys and lose all sense and think they can become daredevils and don't think through the consequences of their actions.

it is sad to see things like this happen, i wouldn't be surprised if they try to sue disney for damages, but from my perspective they were totally in the wrong, their boat was much more agile, and the whole i thought it was backing up thing is crazy if they were in open water why would a the ferry boat back up. they got into this mess because they were reckless.

that being said i do hope a full and complete recovery to all that were injured.

crltkcagle
05-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Sending well wishes her way!

RBrooksC
05-02-2010, 09:15 PM
When I rode the Sea Raycers (they haven't been Water Mice in years) last time, it was stressed that I had to give right of way to EVERYTHING.

While I did sightsee, I always watched for Disney-owned boats.

It isn't hard to watch for the boats, especially if you know Disney-owned boats are in the area. While it is a sad turn of events, the fault is on the drivers of the Sea Raycers.

Polynesian Dweller
05-02-2010, 11:48 PM
those boats are not 60ft long, that would make them about the length of a semi truck, they are more like 30 to 40 ft, the news van is only about 10ft or less. but still at 40ft it is a l lot harder to stop than the little boat the couple was in.

News van only 10ft?? Not really. A Chevy Malibu Sedan is just under 16ft (GM web site) the small GMC Savanna van is just under 19ft (GM web site) and the small Ford E series is just over 18ft (Ford web site). No van is 10ft or less in length. So multiply those by 4 like the news person said and you would be getting close to that. The boat shown would easily take up the width of my house lot which is 60 ft.

beksy
05-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Wow hope she is recovering quickly. It sounds like the Disney driver responded appropriatly (putting the boat into reverse and calling for help so she was helped ASAP). From the report, it sounds like the driver of the smaller craft might actually realize he was at fault here. Probably won't stop them from trying to sue but at least so far it doesn't sound like they are blaming Disney and trying to stop the boat rentals. Sending pixie dust for a quick recovery. Horrible thing to happen, especially on vacation.

Tink#64
05-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Gosh, very sad! I have just been debating whether or not to let my 14 & almost 13 year old DS's "drive" the water mice for DH & myself, but now I know for sure that's not going to happen. I really hadn't been thinking of all the other water craft & the reflexes & "driving" experience needed to know when & how to yield the right of way!

Sending :pixie: for a speedy recovery for Barbara!