PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever recieved a complimentary upgrade when checking?

cetacean01
04-25-2010, 12:25 PM
I am curious. My last two trips to Vegas I recieved upgrades for no apparent reason....not a big gambler, don't spend thousands on shopping or dining, etc. Has this ever happened to you at Disney? Have you ever been upgraded from Value to Mid or Deluxe?

Strmchsr
04-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Nope. I've heard of it occasionally happening when they are overbooked, or trying to promote DVC, but it seems pretty rare. In Vegas and cruise ships they upgrade people in hopes you'll enjoy the "high life" and book that next time instead.

TinkerbellsMom
04-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Last May we got upgraded at AKL from a standard room to Savannah room in the Arusha Rock area!! It was incredible and unexpected!! My DD (then 8) was in tears when the CM told her she had a great smile and that he gave us a Savannah view!! This was our 3rd stay at AKL and the 1st time we were upgraded.

CaptSmee
04-25-2010, 03:25 PM
We've been upgraded several times (not resorts, but room upgardes). At AKL we've been upgraded to Savannah rooms 4 times. At Contemporary we were upgraded to a tower room.

TheVBs
04-25-2010, 04:49 PM
We were upgraded at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort last Nov. It was our first visit there, we'd booked a studio with a pin code, and I was floored when they told me we'd been upgraded to a 2 bedroom villa!! We were only paying $66 a night! It was right by the pool, food, gift shop and recreation counter too. :mickey:

poeticeclipse
04-25-2010, 05:26 PM
My co-workers were upgraded from Pop to Beach Club water view about 2 weeks before their departure date. It was right after Xmas so i'm assuming that they overbooked Pop. It was their first trip to WDW and definitely spoiled them to the point they never want to go back without staying deluxe. haha!

Fastpasssteve
04-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Three years ago, myself and my two travel companions got upgraded at Saratoga Springs Resort from a Studio to a One-Bedroom Suite for free at check-in. It was a delicious week at Disney...this really added to our trip.

Mousemates
04-25-2010, 11:16 PM
never been upgraded to another resort, but we have had view upgrades at the AKL and a tower upgrade at the CR.

TikiLounger
04-26-2010, 08:30 AM
We've never been upgraded to a different resort but, when we booked a garden view in the Club Level of The Beach Club, we were pleasantly surprised to find we had been upgraded to a water view. Nice.

DadTriton
04-26-2010, 08:51 AM
booked garden view Poly and got water/park view on the beach!

FriendsofMickey
04-26-2010, 09:05 AM
A couple of years ago, we were upgraded from a standard view at POFQ to a water view. It was really nice, but I still will not pay to have the water view. We are just not in the room enough to pay the extra.
But it was a really nice and unexpected plus! :mickey:

Bohms4
04-26-2010, 09:11 AM
At WL we were upgraded from a woods view to a courtyard view and didn't know it until we went into the room...nice surprise.

Soph and Han's Mom
04-26-2010, 09:56 AM
checking in a few years ago at the poly i was informed that they had overbooked all of the garden view rooms, so i was being upgraded to concierge for the length of my stay! i had to ask about 5 times if he was sure...he laughed and said of course! that was pretty awesome!

southerngirl
04-26-2010, 11:32 AM
We've never received an upgrade at a Disney-run hotel, but last summer, we received an upgrade at the Swan from a standard view to a pool view. We could see the fireworks at the Studios from our room, which was fun.

Giselle
04-26-2010, 11:52 AM
no :( maybe next trip . . . . 5 days away!

mjm12000
04-26-2010, 01:04 PM
I was upgraded to a King suite with a park view at the Grand Californian at Disneyland once while travelling alone and we just got a call two weeks ago that our state room on the Disney Cruise we are taking in a few weeks has been upgraded from an ocean view room to a varandah room. So exciting...

MariMouse
04-26-2010, 01:16 PM
A few years ago, my daughter and family and my husband and I stayed the first part of our trip at the AKL. We then went to the GF for the rest. We were upgraded to a concierge room, I think in Sugar Loaf! Talk about fantastic!:cloud9:

Seasonscraps
04-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Yes, DH & I were upgraded from a regular room to a garden suite at the BW on our HM trip. There was a misunderstanding with our reservation which resulted in us being charged more then we should have been - they upgraded us to make up for it.

I am sure being the end of Sept (value season before free DDP programs) and being on our HM helped but it wasn't one of those pure pixie dust type situations.

mickeefan
04-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Yes, we were surprised with an upgrade to Sugarloaf club level at the Grand Floridian for our 50th anniversary. When we arrived the guard said there would be some one waiting for us at the entrance. We had never stayed there before and assumed this was normal. There was a castmember waiting for us with our package and she loaded us on a cart and off we went. We did not realize we were club level until we entered and saw where we were.
They brought us champagne, glasses and roses.
This turned out to be a magnificent trip and one we will never forget.

teambricker04
04-29-2010, 03:02 PM
My family was upgraded for an entire 2 week stay at BC from a regular room, garden view, to concierge garden view. It was HEAVEN. DH and I didn't really care about the view so much as we really wanted a balcony and we got one that overlooked the valet area. We could watch the fireworks at both EPCOT and MK. It was the best vacation EVER.... it will be hard to top!

sacandjac
04-30-2010, 02:54 PM
We received one when we stayed at Wilderness Lodge in 2005. We were upgraded from standard to concierge. I think the guy behind the desk was mad for being pulled to work front desk and he said I will just upgrade you to where I work-conciege! Woo! Hoo! Haven't got one since, but that was a good one!

Bubbie Girl
05-01-2010, 10:22 PM
We were upgraded to a Magic Kingdom Castle View a few years ago. Oh it was so wonderful!!!Just Magicial:mickey:

LiloLovesTheKing26
05-03-2010, 09:39 PM
I have never been upgraded to a different hotel. But this past December we were staying at the Wilderness Lodge booked in a standard room but when we checked in we got upgraded to a room on the 5th floor with the balcony looking over the rocks and pool. When you opened the door to our room you could look right down into the lobby! It was a gorgeous view from both sides!!!

magicofdisney
05-03-2010, 09:50 PM
:thumbsup: We were upgraded from POR to GF. :cloud9:

cer
05-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Yes, we were upgraded from a standard room to a preferred room at check-in at ASMu. It was our first visit. Made us feel special. :mickey:

amrntodd
05-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Back in '08, they were running the year of a millions dreams. We spent the first 5 days at POP and as a surprise for the kids we moved to WL for our last 2 days. Well, the whole week I jokingly complained about how I have not received my dream yet.:angry: No lousy ears, a pin, fastpass or anything. When we checked in the CM asked if she could have all of our key cards. I thought to rescan them to the new room. Well she took them an returned with new yellow ones. She told me why and all I could do was ask my wife to come over and have the CM tell her what she just told me. She said, "It is the year of a million dreams, and you have just been upgraded (from the least pricey rooms mind you) to the concierge level and you will need these cards to allow the elevator to get you to the top floor. I don't have to tell you how excited we all were.:joy: Not to give away any secrets,:spy: but life at the top has its perks. The room with the complementary food and beverage (for all ages:wine:) was very nice!:D

sammysmom
05-05-2010, 11:42 AM
We haven't received an upgrade or resort change--which would be a WONDERFUL thing. We have been lucky and received our room requests though the past couple of years:)

Mousemates
06-26-2010, 08:25 PM
yep...just got back from a stay at the Beach CLub and we were greeted with the news we had been upgraded to 5th floor (conceirge)...a nice splurge that we never would have paid for out of pocket.

GBBT
06-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Nope...never.I guess they just don't like us.:(

MinniesMom
06-28-2010, 02:36 PM
A few times! At WL we were upgraded from STD to pool view. At AKL we were once upgraded from STD to SV and then another time from Pool to DLX SV. AT BC we were upgraded from STD to WV. At Poly we were upgraded from GV to WV. We usually always go during the off (value) season so that could have a lot to do with it. Never had a concierge upgrade though.....maybe next trip :D

hope23
06-28-2010, 05:43 PM
A year ago on our family's first trip to Disney we were checking into POP and all very excited to be there. The CS was very kind and making a big deal about our first trip, then said he had a surprise for us and upgraded us to Saratoga Springs. It was fantastic and made our trip all the more magical.

DisNut
07-01-2010, 12:55 PM
We were "upgraded" from a standard to a preferred room at All Star Movies. Didn't seem like much, but it's always a nice surprise when you hear the word upgrade!!

Also, at Disney's Hilton Head resort, we were REALLY upgraded from a studio to a TWO BEDROOM VILLA!!! I can't even begin to tell you how exciting that was! The only bad part was it was just my husband and I and we had all this room and no one to share it with! We wanted to call our friends and family to invite them down!

We are at the AKL in January 2010 and booked a standard room expecting a parking lot view and were very pleasantly surprised to receive a savannah view. It was still a standard room, but the castmember who checked us in recommended we wait for that room to be ready rather than get an already ready room, which would have been your regular standard room.

Momto3littlemice
07-02-2010, 01:43 PM
We have not been upgraded... but this is sounding pretty good! For the people that have received upgrades, did you ask if there were any available or was this just a little Disney magic handed to you?
We did receive dream fastpasses, however, so I guess that was our moment!:mickey:

renecat
07-02-2010, 02:08 PM
My sister and I took my two GD in Dec. 2008 to the GF and we were upgraded to a lagoon view at check in. Was a nice surprise.

DisNut
07-02-2010, 03:37 PM
We did not ask for any type of upgrade. It's more fun to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed if you ask for one and they frown at you!

eeyorepoohfan
07-02-2010, 04:57 PM
I have not received any upgrades at WDW, but have always had wonderful and magical trips! However, my sisters and I went to Disneyland in May and stayed at Paradise Pier. We paid for a standard room. When we checked in they upgraded us to an upper level theme park view! Amazing view of California Adventure and part of Disneyland! :thumbsup:That was a wonderful surprise for our first ever trip of just us three sisters! :cloud9:

#1disneyfan
07-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Have had simple upgrades in the past, like from a courtyard view to a water view, etc. But once we were upgraded prior to our vacation. We had been booked at a moderate, but we were called by our agent and told that we could stay at a deluxe for like an extra $20 per night! So of course we booked that :cloud9:! I am assuming that they were overbooked at the moderate. Worked for us!!

Maleficent's Dad
07-02-2010, 07:50 PM
We've been the recipients of several upgrades, but never from one level of resort to another. The upgrades you're referring to (mod to deluxe, etc.), do occur, but are rare.

We've had several upgrades in room category at the same resort. We go often, and we know how lucky any upgrade is; they do happen!

mom2morgan
07-03-2010, 10:01 PM
That would be so exciting, and I'm happy for all of you who have had upgrades! I go to Disneyland for the first time in 2 weeks, so I'll keep my fingers crossed - might be nice to get a water view ;-)

javamama
07-04-2010, 11:33 PM
We did just get our first upgrade this past trip, it was due to an error upon checkin. The manager at the front desk upgraded us into the hospitalitity suite at the CR in the garden wing, from a standard room....it was great!!

Tigerinvestigator
07-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Like many others we have had our room upgraded at the AKL on three occasions. We always book the standard room because of the rate and we have always been upgraded. Once to water/oasis view, and twice to Savanna views. We once arrived a day early and wanted to get into our room at AKL a day early but it was booked. After talking with a very nice man we were given a water view at BC for the $169 AKL price we were paying for one night. :thumbsup:

KAT1811
07-06-2010, 08:29 PM
An upgrade like that would be fabulous!!!!

:cloud9: :mickey: