PDA

View Full Version : Bug control

PhilHarHarMagic
04-25-2010, 08:48 AM
DW returned from a trip to the World last week and yesterday we were driving along and she asked - how do they control the bug population at WDW? Specifically how do they keep the bugs from swarming around the lights?

I never really thought about it, but it's a good question. Anyone know?
:bug:

LauraByTheSea
04-25-2010, 08:59 AM
I never even thought of that! LOL My guess is that they use what's called, at least where I live in FL, a mosquito magnet. It's run by propane and puts off CO2 that they are attracted to. The mosquitoes, anyway. The resorts I work for use them in thier outdoor tiki bars and they work great.

Joannelet
04-25-2010, 10:28 AM
They spray often for bugs.
They also release lady bugs throughout the parks in order to keep other pests at bay.

DisneyLuver91
04-25-2010, 08:07 PM
I recall Disney having a patent for a mosquito catcher. It was some sort of netting thing. I'm sure you can google it.

joonyer
04-25-2010, 08:52 PM
They use special anti-bug magic.

paragon
04-28-2010, 07:50 AM
Dragons. Silently flying just overhead at night.
Actually, I saw "pest contol" out on the roadway to ASMv almost every morning. And the ladybugs.

PhilHarHarMagic
04-28-2010, 08:08 AM
I didn't really consider Disney Magic - I guess you make a good point!

LandFan
04-28-2010, 01:37 PM
I know when they can, they do try to employ natural pest control techniques like releasing the ladybugs and other natural bug predators.:thumbsup: Some of that info is in the Behind the Seeds tour in the Land pavillion. It is pretty fascinating.

Genie1953
04-28-2010, 08:53 PM
I know when they can, they do try to employ natural pest control techniques like releasing the ladybugs and other natural bug predators.:thumbsup: Some of that info is in the Behind the Seeds tour in the Land pavillion. It is pretty fascinating.

We took that tour also just a little over two weeks ago and you are right.....it IS pretty fascinating. They said they try to do as much as they can using techniques that are environmentally safe and using natural bug predators is one way of doing it. During the tour they explained how they use a very tiny wasp (it is about the size of a gnat) to help control a caterpillar that causes alot of damage to certain types of leaves. It was so interesting!

disneydementia
04-29-2010, 10:58 AM
When visiting WDW, do you need to use mosquito repellent? Or is the control that good?:confused:

PlutoPlanet
04-29-2010, 12:05 PM
We have never needed mosquito repellant. I do wonder how they make their part of Florida virtually bug free.
I can think of some computer programs I'd like to be bug free too ;)

DizneyRox
04-29-2010, 12:15 PM
When visiting WDW, do you need to use mosquito repellent? Or is the control that good?:confused:
I would, after last year I was eaten alive. I won't be making that mistake again.

DadTriton
04-29-2010, 01:12 PM
As far as Florida in general goes, there are numerous Mosquito Control Agencies at all government levels.
The main way they are controlled is spraying Insect Growth Regulators that stop the mosquito larvae from maturing into adults. This really isn't a poison, but an insect hormone, so it has minimal impact on other insect species and animals.
However, Florida has been in drought conditions for at least a decade up to this year.
So insect populations have been down quite a bit for recent visitors.
This year the record cold fronts have brought an unusual amount of rain and standing water in Florida's normal dry season. A much higher mosquito (and other bugs) count is expected this year.