PDA

View Full Version : Day 1 (April 10) 30th Wedding Anniversary Disney Trip –Saturday (Arrival)

Genie1953
04-25-2010, 01:00 AM
The magical day was finally here. I was so excited that I didn’t get to sleep until midnight but we were up at 3am and getting ready to leave. Our flight left Kansas City right on time at 7am and arrived 15 minutes early and we were at Port Orleans Riverside by 11:30 and checked in by 12noon. We were originally assigned a room with a river view in the Oak Manor building but it was quite a ways from the river and when we checked it out later during our stay we realized we would have barely seen the river. Anyway here on Intercot I had heard about the corner rooms with two windows so I asked if it was possible to get one of those with a river view…hopefully on the second floor since others had said it would be quieter up there….the cast member who was checking us in (I think Fran was her name) said to give her a minute and she would do some checking. She came back and said she had talked to someone and managed to get us approved for room 3242 which is a corner room on the second floor of the Oak Manor building. We were told it was a river view. When we got to our room we were ecstatic. The room was on the front side of the building. The front window looked directly out over the river with a wonderful view of the Riverside Mill and water wheel and the bridge to the main pool. The side window looked out onto the courtyard and fountain. Bell services had our luggage in our room within 30 minutes of our arrival in our room and they also brought up our Garden Grocer order (bottled water, apples, veggies, and yogurt). We had done room only reservation for that night so didn’t go to any of the parks but instead headed out to Downtown Disney for shopping and dinner. We finally decided on Rainforest Café for dinner….we thought it was waaaay overpriced for what we got….don’t get me wrong…food was very good…just overpriced and we probably will not eat there again. We were exhausted as we had gotten up at 3am CST so that meant 2am EST…..we were back at our room and sound asleep by 7:30pm!

Now on a side note....The day before we left when I went to print our boarding passes I discovered that somehow our Southwest Earlybird checkin had somehow dropped off of my husband's flight reservation. After a quick phone call to Southwest we were told that they were very sorry but they couldn't do anything about it but in checking the return reservations they found that mine had dropped off as well. They put that one back on. Then they requested that i call the Customer Relations phone number and report the problem. When I did that they told me they would refund our $10 Earlybird fee but it could take up to 2 weeks. Imagine my surprise when I found a credit for the cost of the entire flight fare for my husband's flight to Orlando! Southwest is wonderful!!

faline
04-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Glad to hear Southwest made up for their error!

What a wonderful room view you have! Travel days can be exhauting! At least you'll be well rested to start your Disney adventures!

We've eaten in Rainforest from time to time but it's certainly not a favorite of mine!

elorac
04-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the great first day report. With the awesome room and airfare refund...what a great start to your vacation! :mickey:

vizsla
04-26-2010, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the report.

yjgirl32
04-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Travel days are always very hectic and stressful- glad to hear yours went somewhat smooth. Glad to hear you got some Disney Magic!

DizNee143
04-26-2010, 09:18 AM
sounds like a great travel day!!! your room sounds great also!!
and that is really awesome what southwest did for you!! :mickey:

KylesMom
04-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Great start to your special trip . . . how wonderful that they were able to honor your room request. I can imagine how tired you were by the time you hit the pillow - get that extra rest for tomorrow! :D

What a pleasant surprise regarding Southwest's flight refund! :mickey:

On to Day 2 - thanks for sharing!

Pocahontas
04-26-2010, 11:02 AM
I've never used Southwest, but I've heard so many good things about them.

Wow, what an early start you had to your trip. Our next WDW trip, we leave on a 8:30 am flight and that evening have Fantasmic dinner package plans. I hope we're not too tired out to enjoy it.

Genie1953
04-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Yes it was quite an early start....but we absolutely loved getting there early and getting a head start on our Disney vacation. Southwest has been absolutely wonderful. We started out last October with round-trip airfares for 2 including taxes and fees totalling around $632. As prices lowered on 3 different occasions I contacted Southwest and asked for a fare adjustment....Southwest doesnt refund the money when the airfares lower but they do give you airfare credit and we ended up with $302 in Southwest Airfare credit to use sometime before the end of October. Now with the refund they credited to our credit card account...our 2 round-trip airfares from Kansas City to Orlando only cost us around $247 total for the two airfares. I think that is an outstanding price for 2 round-trip airfares.....and now we have $302 to put towards a trip we are taking this summer. You just can't beat that....especially since we are thinking about a trip to see our daughter and grandchildren this summer.

pdrlkr
05-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: