PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis/Hot Springs AK/Crater of Diamonds Park

TheVBs
04-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Ok, so DC and the Black Hills fell to the wayside. I suppose we just couldn't generate enough interest in them at this time to keep planning. We did discuss whether or not we wanted to do Disney again, but just having gone last May, we feel ready to do something different and then hit Disney again next year.

So! I've always wanted to go to Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas. I'll probably never find a diamond, but it just sounds like a blast (I'm a treasure hunter at heart). We thought we could also visit Hot Springs and see the famous caverns in that area.

We thought we'd possibly stop in St. Louis on the way down (we're coming from Michigan), see the arch and see the pirate salvage exhibit they have at the museum there.

Any thoughts or input on either stop would be greatly appreciated!

We're thinking if we do this during the summer, then over Thanksgiving we'll visit DH's dad and wife in FL and we'll stop for a couple days in US to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

TheVBs
04-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Just saw the other threads on St. Louis. Oops! :blush: Got great info there. Also spotted a couple recommendations for Eureka Springs in AK. But if anyone else has any info on Crater of Diamonds, the caverns or Hot Springs that would be great! :)

tundramom
05-09-2010, 07:23 AM
We did Crater of Diamonds a few years ago (DBIL live near Little Rock) because DD thought it would be fun. Big mud plowed field, virtually no shade. You can rent tools, they have people on hand to identify your finds, and a sluicing area in the center of the field. was not my idea of a good time, dirty and not back friendly, not to mention in the middle of nowhere.
We also went to Hot Springs, at the time all of the hotels/springs were closed due to major overhaul, I think some have reopened. We did a tour of one facility and it was interesting, beautiful old tile work and stained glass. The town was pretty kitschy. We did go to a botanical garden (can't remember the name) that was very nice and it had a church similar to Thorncrown on the premises. We were there for 5 days to visit and other than seeing our dear family I would not go back, not much of anything to do!

TheVBs
05-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks for letting me know about your trip! I don't mind getting dirty at Crater of Diamonds, but I do worry about there being enough to do there considering how far we're driving. We're planning a stop in St. Louis to break up the driving, but I do want to make sure we enjoy our time in Arkansas. It looks like there are some really beautiful state parks there. I wonder if concentrating on hitting a couple more of those would be best?

tundramom
05-09-2010, 03:09 PM
The road to Crater of Diamonds is just a 2 lane country road that winds through the countryside. It's not a bad drive , there is just nothing there, you practically get to the Texarkana border. Plan on a whole day just to get there, do the park, and get back to civilization (term loosely used) Since you're coming from St. Louis area what about Memphis? Then you could go to Little Rock/ Hot Springs area.I don't know where the caverns are that you were thinking about, but maybe you could combine that with the Diamonds corner of the state.

Frog
05-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Did this as a kid.. and would love to be able to get my fam excited about doing it again! I would highly recommend spending a day in Branson at what we affectionatly call "Steal" your dollar city (Silver Dollar City). This early american theme park would be a younger crowd pleaser and in stark contrast with the day at the mine... and it does have a cave inside the park that is alot of fun to tour... interested to see how it turns out!!

Scott C
05-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Sorry about Black Hills / DC both are very worthwhile. It would be a bit out of your way -- but I know you would enjoy Holiday World -- here in beautiful Southern Indiana(see other posts in this section)

Thanks
Scott C

Disney OB RN
05-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Our trip to the Crater of Diamonds was pretty miserable as well. (July isn't the best time!). We were told that the best time to go was after a heavy rain. The earth was parched, as were we in the heat. They have ingeniously created a mini water park (or large pool in our opinion) adjacent to the digs in case you want to cool off. You can bring your own shovel, bucket, which most of people did, but rented the sifting pan.No one found diamonds in our family, but we can say we have "been there, done that". Don't rule out Hot Springs, altogether, though. Beautiful state parks, especially the Gulpha Gorge area. Lake Degray State Park is near also. For kids, there is Magic Springs/Crystal Falls, the MidAmerica Museum, Bath House Row, & horseback riding in the Ozarks. We love to eat at the Pancake House. Good Luck!