PDA

View Full Version : 1st thing you like to do when back at Disney

wdw538884
04-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Ok! You have just arrived adn are all checked in to your resort. What is the 1st thing you like to do? Favorite thing to do that gets you in the "Disney frame of mind?":mickey:

Pirate Granny
04-24-2010, 01:09 PM
60 TIMES...I'm jealous just of that number...
I like to eat at the food court and walk around the hotel and just look at the blue sky, palm tress and smile that 'hey, I'm really back to Disney".
:pirate:

Rekenna
04-24-2010, 02:31 PM
What I like to do (although it doesn't always work out) is just sit down and breathe for just a minute. I spend so much time planning, thinking, reading, getting excited about, etc.-our vacation that sometimes I feel that I just rush in instead of simply savoring the experience.

divinedi
04-24-2010, 04:09 PM
We usually check in, get unpacked, wander around the resort for a bit and then head to DTD to look around and get something to eat at Wolfgang Pucks! I've usually been up more than 24 hours at this point, so the parks would be a waste of a day, but I love the Marketplace!! Head back to the resort....relax and get to bed early so we're fresh and ready to go early in the morning!!!

TheVBs
04-24-2010, 04:14 PM
On our last two trips we arrived at our resort late afternoon (driving in) and our new favorite thing to do after getting settled in is to hop in the pool, get something to eat and enjoy the poolside activities. Then we're refreshed the next morning and ready to hit the parks!

finaldynasty
04-24-2010, 04:29 PM
60 TIMES...I'm jealous just of that number...
I like to eat at the food court and walk around the hotel and just look at the blue sky, palm tress and smile that 'hey, I'm really back to Disney".
:pirate:

:mickey: DITTO everything you said! After eating we also head straight for the pool!!!:mickey:

Alaska Disney Fan
04-24-2010, 04:38 PM
We usually check in, get unpacked, wander around the resort for a bit and then head to DTD to look around and get something to eat at Wolfgang Pucks! I've usually been up more than 24 hours at this point, so the parks would be a waste of a day, but I love the Marketplace!! Head back to the resort....relax and get to bed early so we're fresh and ready to go early in the morning!!!

Word for word exactly what we do!!

JenniferS.
04-24-2010, 04:40 PM
We drop everything and go to Magic Kingdom!!!! Walking down main st. the first time each trip makes me feel i'm back "home."

ransam
04-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Depends on what time i get in.
If we get in late at night, my favorite thing to do is take a quick swim, shower, and just lay in bed thinking of the next 7 - 10 days and how excited I am just to be here.
if it's during the day, go to our room for 10 seconds, and off to walk down mainstreet!!!

Missy_Mouses_Dad
04-24-2010, 05:33 PM
go to DTD for a sandwich at Earl's and ice cream at Ghirardelli's.

eeyoregirl13
04-24-2010, 05:35 PM
This thread is bringing up such fun memories...arriving in Disney, checking in and getting to the room...with so much anticipation and excitement for the week ahead!! We don't hit the parks too hard the first day since we get in later, we usually just head to Epcot and wander WS and go on some of the quieter rides like Spaceship Earth, Imagination, and Grand Fiesta. I love the first day!

Carolanne
04-24-2010, 05:49 PM
If the room is ready when we get there, the first thing we like to do is unpack & take a nap, lol!

Of course if the room isn't ready (and sometimes even if the room IS ready), the 1st thing we do is head to the resort foodcourt for lunch & then off to the parks--sometimes MK, sometimes Epcot :mickey:

WishingStar2006
04-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Well, I have used Magical Express for my luggage and my room is never ready when I check in around noon....so I carry my swimsuit, cove-up and suntan lotion in my carry-on and after checking in I hit the pool....have lunch from Roaring Fork at WL while sitting poolside...then when my room is ready and my luggage has arrived...I shower, change and head to Main Street and POTC!!!!

Only 2 more days!!!!!!!!!

Disney4us2
04-24-2010, 06:03 PM
After check in(we arrive at MCO at 6am), we check our carry on bags with bell services. We then head off to Epcot. Do a few attractions, get fast passes. Head on off to lunch at LeCellier:cloud9:. Use up the fastpasses and ride the monorail a few times while waiting for our room to be ready. When ready, shower and nap and then off to dinner at MK.:mickey:

alaMode
04-24-2010, 08:01 PM
MK asap!
This year we'll be arriving later than we typically do and we're looking forward to a magical evening in the Kingdom!

crltkcagle
04-24-2010, 09:18 PM
We drop everything and go to Magic Kingdom!!!! Walking down main st. the first time each trip makes me feel i'm back "home."
Ditto!

Joannelet
04-24-2010, 09:30 PM
When I'm done shrieking with excitement, we sort of unpack, wash up a bit and then head out....We usually end up exploring the hotel and then head to DTD and do some strolling and SHOPPING and eating along the way :)

kakn7294
04-24-2010, 11:34 PM
If our room is ready (and we pray that it is), since we drove all night, we try to take a nap. So far, we've been lucky!

Fastpasssteve
04-25-2010, 01:44 AM
I head immediately to Main Street in MK or to my first ADR, which is usually the Biergarten in Germany, EPCOT. I need to watch some fireworks that first night.

Kathy Jetson
04-25-2010, 01:51 AM
Walk around the resort just taking in the fact that I am really there. Then go to the gift shop I just love looking at all the disney "stuff":mickey:

ryca1dreams
04-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Check out the room, head to MK, ride Space Mountain.

goofygirl67
04-25-2010, 10:14 AM
If the room is ready, I unpack, go to the nearest grocery store for perishables, then off to MK or DTD...I get in on Saturday night.
If the room is not ready it depends on where I am staying. I usually go somewhere close so when my room is ready I can get in as quick as I can, do all the above and get back out ASAP. I usually go to EPCOT or AK before the room is ready.

luvdiznee
04-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Relax...unpack to an extent...Relax...take a short walk around the resort we are at....Relax.

kemps@wdw
04-25-2010, 03:25 PM
We sit and relax in that glorious lobby @ the Wilderness Lodge (our WDW home)! :cloud9:

forever a child
04-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Get settled into our room and check out the resort, perhaps go to DtD. :mickey:

Mousemates
04-25-2010, 11:11 PM
since we usually drive over night and arrive around seven to eight in the morning...and our room usually isn't ready...we tend to head down to the pool area where I will (after showering in the bath house) take a brief swim and collapse in a hammock or on a sunny pool chair for a 30-45 minute nap to recharge my batteries a little bit.

TikiLounger
04-26-2010, 11:18 AM
It really depends on what time we arrive. If it's early enough, we get checked in and then we head straight to the Magic Kingdom.

Goofy4TheWorld
04-26-2010, 12:27 PM
My last trip was a shotgun trip with no plan at all. We decided somewhere around the Florida Turnpike to go to MK instead of DTD after checking in, and walked through the gates at 4pm. We decided to not do any parades or fireworks, strictly E-ticket rides/attrcations. We were amazed that by 10pm we had rode every big ride/attraction at least once, and most of them twice.

So from now on, it all rides/attractions at MK (no parades) for day 1. We loved it!

biodtl
04-26-2010, 12:52 PM
We go directly to MK. Although we arrive as early in the day as possible. For our next trip, I was considering going down the evening before - just to be able to wake up their our 1st day. If we do, we'll probably hang around the resort, eat, swim, maybe go to DTD. It will be hard to not go to the parks, though.

MMFreak
04-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Breath a big sigh of relief!

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Our last several trips we have stayed at SSR, so, we check in, walk around the main carriage house to drink in the "disney-ness", go through the shop and Artist's Palette (fill our mugs up) and look at the pool. We go to our room and unpack, get settled and either hit the pool, DTD or our dinner ADR's - usually at the Poly to watch the MK fireworks or at the very least the Electrical Water Parade.

Nothing beats holding your welcome home packet just over stuffed with information to read, walking through the lobby for the first time and then realizing the subtle themed music. And realizing you have a full week of this bliss ahead of you. :cloud9:

DadTriton
04-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Check in, here the kids go "wow" at the resort, then hear them go "wow" at the room then "wow" at the pool. Eat dinner at the resort use the resort pool then relax.

homeschool mom
04-26-2010, 04:34 PM
We always drive so it depends on what time we arrive and if we plan a park day on arrival day.
If we arrive in the evening, we unload our van and then head over to buy our resort mugs and get a drink and then mosey around the resort until we go in for the night. Depending on how early it is, we may hop back in our van and drive to another resort just to check it out.
If we arrive fairly early in the day and have a park day planned, we immediately head over to MK and spend our day there.
That is the plan for our upcoming trip. We will be spending a couple days with DH's sister and hubby who live just north of Orlando prior to our time at WDW so we will hopefully arrive early enough to get a full day in at MK, and then over to DHS for Fantasmic. :cloud9:

Nevergrowup
04-30-2010, 01:03 AM
Tradition for us, check in, head to MK, eat at Casey's, then ride Pirates. That makes it official. Sometimes Pirates first and then back to Casey's, but always those two first.
:mickey::pirate::mickey:

AJ Springfield
04-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Yes, this is my first post. After lurking here for a month, this topic gave me the push to subscribe. I love WDW and we will be returning this June. In the past we would check in, swim (while I put away the clothes), eat dinner and then go to MK just to ride the monorail. I love the classics best- meaning the monorail,and MK. We will be staying at the Poly in June, so I should get my fill of both.

VWL Mom
04-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Kids usually go to Roaring Forks to buy and fill their mugs, I (& DH when he's with us) go to Trout Pass to grab a Mojito and we meet up at the tables by the beach to just sit, relax, and take everything in.

TinksPixieDust
04-30-2010, 03:18 PM
ESPN Club for Nachos and Wings. mmmmmmmmmmmm

E-OR
04-30-2010, 03:47 PM
If we get in early enough we always get our things in our room, get a quick bite to eat at the food court, and head to EPCOT to watch the fireworks.

Superzeus84
04-30-2010, 03:52 PM
First thing i want to do is hop on a bus over to MK and ride Splash Mountain.:number1:

Septbride2002
04-30-2010, 05:47 PM
When it is just us we usually go to the room - turn on resort TV for a bit while we organize. And then we head to Epcot through the International Gateway.

~Amanda

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Check into our resort and then go to DTD, get a bite to eat and browse the shops since it is usually late afternoon when we arrive

ibrowse17
04-30-2010, 10:15 PM
To take in the entire atmoshpere. The sounds and smells are just as an important part of Disney to us as the sights:thumbsup:

DisneyorBust
05-01-2010, 04:01 PM
We normally stay at the Poly so the first thing that I do is:
*Appreciate the fact that DW and myself or the entire family is able to return 'home'.
*Step back and take it all in! I try and absorb as much of the lobby as possible. This actually starts BEFORE check in.
*If our room is ready, quickly unpack and check the view from our room.Listening to resort TV of course.
*Depending on what time of day tha we arrive, it's time to eat or time to head to a park. Epcot is our normal starting point.
Great thread! Makes me wish that we were walking into the Poly right now!

Eric87
05-01-2010, 06:35 PM
We always take DME then get our resort mugs. When it comes to which park we go to, we just haven't started a tradition to a certain park. We usually just pick one and go. Knowing wherever we go we'll visit 2 or 3 mores times and to take it and take it all in. This year we have a decision to make with the little one going on her first attraction. We don't want to screw it up, so MK and possibly Dumbo.

#1disneyfan
05-01-2010, 09:30 PM
If we are staying on property -- we check in and head straight for MK!

However, my parent's now bought a timeshare at Bonnet Creek, so this year we will be starting some new traditions!!

angel2931
05-02-2010, 09:18 PM

Thats what we do too!!! :mickey:

Bellerella
05-09-2010, 06:26 PM
The first thing I like to do is check out the lobby, and explore the resort a bit. My family loves finding the hidden Mickey's and other characters! (We discovered Lion King characters in the curtains and Mickey heads in the comforters at AKL!!) then we head out to have dinner and some park time. :mickey:

Auroring Good Time
05-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Monorail - just hearing the "por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas" gets me in the mood.

lightyearfan
05-10-2010, 10:36 AM
the first that me and dw do to get us back in the mood is once we're checked in , we get the car and it's off to Epcot for the rest of the day and evening. of course the ride from the airport and going through the Welcome To Walt Disney World really gets us going and knowing that we are on WDW property:mickey:

victor

anwruck
05-13-2010, 11:27 PM
I get into the room and put the luggage down and lie down on the bed for a minute or two and get up and step out onto the balacony(i always stay at wilderness lodge).Thats my disney moment.

5MemphisTiggers
05-14-2010, 12:47 AM
Drop the bags and head straight to MK. Approaching the gates, I'm just as giddy as my kids! :mickey: Any tension has melted away by the time I get to Casey's, and I'm in my laughin' place!

I'm smilin' just thinking about it.

Michelle15
05-14-2010, 11:26 AM
:mickey:The first thing I like to do when I get to WDW is check in and put our carry on luggage in our room. Then we head to the food court to get a bite to eat and then head to MK.

lettripp
05-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Drop everything and head straight for MK... I don't think I'm there until I can see the castle!

Soph and Han's Mom
05-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Monorail - just hearing the "por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas" gets me in the mood.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MushuGrl
05-14-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm agreeing with the "eat at food court". I feel like I'm officially there, all the hard work is done, I'm checked in, my bags are in the room, and the fun has officially begun!

Plus I know I'm just moments away from that first magical step in the Magic Kingdom.

LandFan
05-14-2010, 12:05 PM
We usually get in in the morning so we drop everything and go to a park but this time we are flying out of our little airport 15 minutes from the house and the only flight they have each day gets in at like 7:30pm so we will probably just wander around the resort and get a late dinner at POP and hit the hay!

BigThunderFan
05-14-2010, 05:33 PM
We toss our bags to the floor, turn on resort TV and listen to Stacy while we change out of our winter clothes and throw on shorts and flip flops! Then we take a moment to check out the view from our balcony and get acquainted with our location, and head straight to the boat for MK!

I love that first walk down Main Street and looking forward to Dole Whips!

Only 238 more days...:mickey:

Disney Yankee
05-15-2010, 10:27 PM
When we arrive at WDW, we immediately feel the need to be at the Magic Kingdom!:cloud9: We love the feeling of seeing the castle for the first time! And then we go to Casey's for some Corn Dogs!!!

ANG
05-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Marvel at hidden Mickeys in the resort and room

Georgesgirl1
05-16-2010, 08:29 PM
We always take a spin on the monorail and walk around the monorail resorts then watch the Electric Water Parade. When I was little, the monorail was as good as any ride in MK to me, and no trip to WDW has really started without a ride on it!

Figment104
05-17-2010, 05:03 PM
We normally get to the resort between 11 and 1 so as soon as we're checked in we check out our room (if ready) then high tail it down to the boat dock to catch the next boat to the MK. Really I don't think it would matter what time I got to the resort unless it was only an hour before closing, I'd have to go to the MK to know I'm finally there! :mickey:

Can't wait for my "hardly no planning long weekend trip" in Sept!

SandmanGStefani24
05-18-2010, 12:33 AM
after honking the horn when passing through the WDW archway, :D , I get settled into my room, and turn on the WDW parks channel that comes on when you first turn on the tv.
I love that!! Its one of the things that makes me 100 % sure I'm back!

madhatterrules
05-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Go to MK and go straight to Disney's Philharmagic, it gets us in the Disney frame of mind and we feel like we are officially in Disney.:tuba:

Loweschevy
05-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Go to the room, flip on the WDW information channel and check out the view from the room.

brownie
05-18-2010, 11:51 AM
The sooner I get into one of the parks, the better!

Stu29573
05-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Lat time we went to DTD, ate lunch, then went back to the resort and took a nap before going to Epcot for dinner at Le Chefs. This next trip we are planning on hitting MK right off the bat (it shouldn't be too crowded). In the past that has really reassured me that I'm home!

olivegirl
05-18-2010, 04:17 PM
We go directly to our resort pool!!!! We usually arrive about 930am and race to the pool ....after check in !!! My DD LOVES LOVES the pool !!! To be able to sit and smell the wonderful Floridian air and feel the great sun is just perfect for us!!! Just cant wait!!! :thumbsup:

Jeri Lynn
05-18-2010, 04:39 PM
We usually unpack and sit by the pool for a while, grab a bite to eat if we are hungry.

This year we are going to be arriving mid-afternoon and will not be using a TS that evening so we will probably go to Epcot and eat at a counter service restaurant.

PETE FROM NYC
05-21-2010, 06:26 PM
It depends on arrival time.
Last year we drove down, and got there early afternoon. Usually when we fly we get there LATE.
One thing I try to do, before we bring in the luggage is to snap a photo or two of the room. Then bring it in, stow it, and collapse for an hour or so before heading out to do a park or eat or whatever. This year, we will be doing MNSSHP for our first night.

Tink33333
05-22-2010, 10:53 AM
We have a routine (like so many others)...we check into our resort and spend some time exploring there and then it's off to Epcot (our absolute favorite place in the world) for Mexican food and drink:marg:.
We ALWAYS spend our first night at Illuminations...when the lights go out and the music starts...then we know we at finally back!!!:cloud9:

SoaringEpcot
05-26-2010, 10:44 AM
We usually stay at Fort Wilderness, so after we are set up we head to the marina and catch a boat over to the Contemporary or Macic Kingdom just for a look around. Then a lap on the monorail loop. Or may Trails End for a beverage ;)

goofball
05-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Check in, hit the room, unpack and change into shorts and flops. Then it is straight to Magic Kingdom! :mickey::mickey::mickey:

tinka
05-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Every trip, we fly in by 11am, check in at the hotel, have a bite to eat and go straight to the Magic Kingdom!! It has become tradition and last trip, I asked the kids if they wanted to start somewhere else, and they said no way...we always to to MK!! It is a great feeling to know they share my thoughts about "Coming Home"

akaDisneyDreamer
05-31-2010, 04:25 PM

This is exactly what we do! :thumbsup:

Pop Centurion
05-31-2010, 09:50 PM
We have the same routine every year. Check in, go to Everything Pop Food Court for Breakfast/Lunch, wander around the resort, go to room for a nap, shower then head to DTD to shop, drink, & have dinner at WGP cafe.

Darbylew
05-31-2010, 11:34 PM
We always get in late in the afternoon. We get
checked in and then go to DTD for supper at our
favorite place there - Wolf Gang Puck's Express
then shop at the World of Disney! On to the
parks the rest of our vacation. :mickey:

RAIDER
06-01-2010, 03:28 AM
After unpacking and stocking up on a few drinks for the fridge etc ,we will normally hit DTD for a little wander and then come back and wander around the resort :thumbsup:

mickeymousedabomb
06-01-2010, 10:50 AM
We usually check in, get in our suits, swim, grab a bite to eat then walk around the resort. We always make MK our 1st park to hit the next day. Last time we went, we played mini golf and that was really fun and relaxing, the girls loved to play ping pong pool side too!

DisneyBarb
06-01-2010, 11:49 AM
If we get in during the day, we generally eat at Capt cooks under the palm trees and take in the Poly atmosphere and then off to MK!

If we arrive in the evening, a stroll around the Poly enjoying the tiki torches and sounds and that lobby "smell"

Simply Paradise....

mjm12000
06-01-2010, 12:10 PM
We usually get there late in the afternoon or in the early evening so we get into our room, unpack a few things, splash some water in our face and then head to the Magic Kingdom, head up main street, say hi to the castle smile cause I am back home and then head into tomorrow land to ride spacemountain, which usually has no fast passes left by this point in the day or if there are we grab one for later, then we usually end the night by watching "wishes and then we always for some strange reason ride the haunted mansion before heading out of the park.

MushuGrl
06-02-2010, 04:44 PM
I can't be the only one homesick when reading this thread. Is there anything better than that "I just got here and just getting started" feeling?

EpcotFan182
06-03-2010, 09:46 PM
I like to explore the resort I'm staying in, even if I have stayed in the resort before haha :mickey:

Princess'Mom
06-03-2010, 10:22 PM
We love to check in, buy our refillable mugs and head to the pool! We hand out at the resort and "rest up" for heading to the parks the next day! :D

finaldynasty
06-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Have lunch at the resort, explore the resort (i.e. find our room), and spend a little time by the pool...though this year we are planning to hit up DTD in the evening to experience the POR boat ride!

Only a few more weeks before I get to do all this! :mickey: